Beginner question: nails

Hi everyone, I am searching for advice and arguments wich ones nails for connecting to choose, wooden or metal (brass)? View attachment 119894
Nothing to add to the given answer to Nigel........maybe only one thing:
Would be great if you would show us your work on the Felucca del Rosario.

I have the planset also (see also the Planset Review) and I would be highly interested to see your work in a building log :cool:

I'm not sure I'm ready to start my building log, because its my very first model and there are still more questions than answers. Ancres plans and monography aren't without mistakes, and seriously not for beginners as they declare, but youtube and forums keep up my motivation to keep working on this project regardless of a dark small and cold garage where I'm working on this project. There is still a lot of studying on modeling technology to do 'cause I want to build her absolutely from scrath. I' m using pear wood (that I got from my neighbour in exchange into maple wood, as he would have used it as hard fuel for heating his countryside house anyways).

I'm not sure I'm ready to start my building log, because its my very first model and there are still more questions than answers. Ancres plans and monography aren't without mistakes, and seriously not for beginners as they declare, but youtube and forums keep up my motivation to keep working on this project regardless of a dark small and cold garage where I'm working on this project. There is still a lot of studying on modeling technology to do 'cause I want to build her absolutely from scrath. I' m using pear wood (that I got from my neighbour in exchange into maple wood, as he would have used it as hard fuel for heating his countryside house anyways).
Welcome aboard SOS, Manatas!! Just because it is your very first model, we encourage you to start build log. This is where you can show and ask for help and advice as such. Don't get along with the questions you may don't know the answers. You would be surprised, many of us will watch your build log and will be ready to help (if any required). We aim to help, this is one of our great strengths, we are SOS!!!

good luck

Good day all,
I am testing bolts size. How do you think witch one is more like it was in reality? They will be for futtocks parts joints scale 1:32. What size of bolts(nails) heads was in real size? For treenails on the deck I found that it was 3-5 cm head, but I think in futtocks joints it mus be bigger. 15738407930682013448221840445774.jpg

Personally I would not go much more than 1mm diameter head even at this scale,especially if you blacken them.1mm is around the correct size,possibly slightly small.However if blackened,visually they will appear bigger than reality and they don't want to draw the eye away too much from the rest of the model.

Kind Regards

Nigel

thanks Nigel, for my eyes 1mm brass wire looks somehow nice and proporcional, thats why I decide to test several sizes just for "how do they looks" and to check historicaly. Yes I am going to blacken them later, now just preparing. Thanks again.

I have found the railroad spikes to be very effective for period models due to their strength and colour. If the head size is a little out of scale give them a couple of strokes with your needle file before driving them home.

Back