Belle Poule 1780 by Donnie

Here's the latest. I think I am done with the deck planking. I on purpose left out a lot of strips so that the lower deck can be seen. The cannons are just in place - there is no rigging yet. I have to order more supplies from Zoltan. The blocks will be 2.5mm this time to complement the smaller size cannons.

In the meantime, I will add treenails to the decking. All I do is drill the holes and push the toothpicks in and cut them off. I do not use glue as the likelihood of them coming out is unlikely. Besides the Linseed oil will help seal them in. This way, I do not have to worry about scrapping glue.

View attachment 370725

View attachment 370726

View attachment 370727

View attachment 370728

View attachment 370730
The open structure is looking very nice, Donnie. A good choice. Also for dry adding the treenails. The linseed oil will point them out a bit.
Regards, Peter

Thank you all for the kind words.

The latest. Finally got all the treenailing done on the top deck. Please read a special note below after images !!!

deck-planking36.jpg

deck-planking37.jpg

deck-planking38.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: Part number SB - if you are planning to rig cannons, DO NOT glue this piece in - but only dry fit it. Then before removing, mark off the locations for the Ring Bolts that will be installed onto SB. Then when marked, remove SB. Then you can install the Ring Bolts with no problems along with the Pulleys. After which, then install SB with all the Ring Bolts already attached. This would be easier rather than trying to install Ring Bolts later.

deck-planking39.jpg

Thank you all for the kind words.

The latest. Finally got all the treenailing done on the top deck. Please read a special note below after images !!!

View attachment 372166

View attachment 372167

View attachment 372168

PLEASE NOTE: Part number SB - if you are planning to rig cannons, DO NOT glue this piece in - but only dry fit it. Then before removing, mark off the locations for the Ring Bolts that will be installed onto SB. Then when marked, remove SB. Then you can install the Ring Bolts with no problems along with the Pulleys. After which, then install SB with all the Ring Bolts already attached. This would be easier rather than trying to install Ring Bolts later.

View attachment 372169
That's using your noodle :)

Thank you Kurt, but I can honestly say that I am not the Master nor a Master. Just following the kit. But, I do appreciate the compliment.

I certainly appreciate all the nice comments. Well, it has been a while since I have touched the Belle. Too many things in life are getting in the way. My full-time job seems to get more demanding - so is house things - my wife's wish list -
it seems like I used to have more time on my hands --- HA -- what happened ??? !!!

Donnie, I remember how your Santisma Trinidad build inspired me to take the first step in this hobby. I am amazed how you've develop your skills since then. Wonderful work!!

I am humbled by all the compliments and it is greatly appreciated by all. It's been about a month since I posted. Just too many things interfering. My real job is becoming more demanding - therefore - getting home - just don't feel like doing much. Plus bouts of not feeling too well added to this.

So, I only have a few pics to share. I have done a lot of work, but just have not posted the results. I am finished with the upper deck planking. I am now adding the Canons to the upper deck and they are much smaller requiring even more smaller blocks (2.5 mm to be exact and .3mm line and .8mm for the breech line).

Now, the pics. Also my apologies for not showing the details of how I am doing this.

deck-items66.jpg

deck-items67.jpg

SEE POST #468
NOTE: NOTHING WRONG WITH THE MANUAL --- MY MISTAKE...

stop-sign.jpg

The only thing to report here is a pretty big error in the MY sequence of building. Maybe I missed something along the way, but I don't think so. The planks can not be installed near the bow where the Bitt Rails will go. I had to lift them up in order to install the Bitt Rails as they not only go all the way through to the bottom deck, but they have a notch that will fit on the Deck Beam. Apologies for the poor blurry photography. If the square openings on the upper deck were square-through - then no problem, but this is not the case. As you can see from the image below that the BEAM and BITT Rails fit together - therefore, the planks are in the way.

deck-planking29.jpg

deck-items68.jpg

deck-items69.jpg

Last edited:
Back