Unboxing BELLE POULE 1780 - Unboxing the Kit

GREAT!!! (I'll expect first prize in the mail.;))
I will also be very interested in your opinion of this excellent looking kit.
you bet, Hedley! I will post both an 'open box' following a detailed 'kit review'. I already have some very good impressions :)

Whatever it is, the instructions are written in swahili
Hello, vmgrimball. You have most likely leave in East Africa for a very long time and have familiarity with a Bantu language widely used as a lingua franca. But let me assure you that the instruction manual is written in English. Sorry if I disappointed you.

I have mentioned in my post that I will try to do an Unboxing review this evening. Many thanks to everyone who participates in the game 'Guess when guessing what? The winner is @Hedley who actually guessed from the first try!

Alright, folks, I have renamed the thread to Unboxing, and without further ado would like to share with you what is actually in the box. The shipment box contained another box where the actual kit rest. The box is a standard, sturdy brow box wrapped in two layers of bubble wrap and taped for additional security.
600_2363 (2).jpg
600_2369.jpg600_2365.jpg

When we remove the bubble wrap protection, we can see the actual kit box, taped in the middle. It actually weighs 12LB (5.45KG)
600_2376.jpg

Once the box is opened, we will see all of the contents carefully packed, and parts are protected with bubble wrap. The manual comes in plastic packed.
600_2378.jpg

Here is an overview of the content of the box. There are two (2) cardboard boxes with fittings, two bubble-wrapped logs with timber, and various supporting materials like plywood for the base, false deck. Six sheets of plan in scale 1:72, a pack of various sizes\diameter Pear dowels, and brass wires. One small wrapper package where boxwood carvings are.
600_2426.jpg

Let sneak peek at the first bundle. It contained mostly laser-cut materials for base assembly, false deck, and deck material
600_2410.jpg

When we opened the bubble wrap, we will be surprised with 10+ ply boards of the base construction. Actually, moving a bit ahead of the detailed kit review. there will be 2 bases: for the upper hull and bottom portion of the hull. (it is a secret, for now). Laser-etched deck planking for the gundeck on the top.
600_2409.jpg

While it is just an open box review, I want to share with you a few sample boards from this bundle so you will just have an idea. Much more close-up images will be provided in the kit review.
600_2402.jpg
600_2405.jpg

The next bundle, tight with the tape, contained 45 + sheets of different width\thickness Pearwood parts. Those are frames, hull planking gun carriages, and all other parts. note the top board, it is 1mm thick and contained pre-shaped (spilled) hull planks. Also, shown the dowels and brass wire pack bundled together with tape.
600_2386.jpg
600_2422.jpg
600_2423.jpg

There are two small cardboard boxes, They are Accessories for the kit ( fittings). A white printed label at the top of each box provided the part number and quantity of each part. This makes it easy to inventory and parts locations.
600_2384.jpg
600_2385.jpg

The first accessory box contained 3D printed parts for bow and stern sections. They are carefully packed with cotton to avoid breakage. It is also contained a stern lantern, decorations in brass, brass tubes, and two resin bells each on its own plastic bag.
600_2392.jpg
600_2394.jpg

The second accessory box contains brass casting of figurehead, CNC turned brass cannon barrels for both calibers, shot balls, 5 anchors, CNC turned brass belaying pins, 2 sizes of brass rings, and 3 sizes of brass nails, again each in the individual plastic bag. Photoetched parts on 6 frets. Some of them, like eye bolts, are 2 the same frets. Note a plate labeled 'Decoration' this is the tool (scarper) for making various moldings.
600_2419.jpg
600_2417.jpg
The small bubble-wrapped package contained boxwood carvings. The image below also shown the 6 sheets of drafts rolled into a bundle
600_2388.jpg

...a closeup of boxwood CNC carving boards.
600_2411.jpg

The last piece of the kit is the Instruction manual. It is actually named Instruction & Engineering Guide, for protection covered in a plastic bag, It is 10mm thick, written in the English language small book! The guide is divided into 10 parts (chapters) and covers all stages of the model assembly, Also, the last two pages contained color photos of the finished model. The manual looks like a really comprehensive study and will be a great help inassembly.
600_2382.jpg

The first impression of this kit is very good. It contains quality materials with a comprehensive instructions manual. Great impression on the various Pearwood boards. They are of various thicknesses and of the highest-rated quality. Boxwood CNC decoration is spot on. This kit introduces a modern way of assembling the hull. The base is designed of two parts: upper and lower hull, independent from each other. This simplifies the assembly and makes the hull more rigid. Another great feature for modelers is pre-scored hull planking. It is evident that Sail and Sail Model designed this Kit for a wide range of modelers in mind, from intermediate to advanced.

I suspect, this kit will bring many fun hours while assembly. It also has full potential for 'bashing' should you decide to go this route.

A detailed Kit Review will follow up soon, contained much additional information and macro images for various parts. I will most likely start a brand new thread, so stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have mentioned in my post that I will try to do an Unboxing review this evening. Many thanks to everyone who participates in the game 'Guess when guessing what? The winner is @Hedley who actually guessed from the first try!

Alright, folks, I have renamed the thread to Unboxing, and without further ado would like to share with you what is actually in the box. The shipment box contained another box where the actual kit rest. The box is a standard, sturdy brow box wrapped in two layers of bubble wrap and taped for additional security.
View attachment 250440
View attachment 250442View attachment 250441

When we remove the bubble wrap protection, we can see the actual kit box, taped in the middle. It actually weighs 120 LB (54,5KG)
View attachment 250443

Once the box is opened, we will see all of the contents carefully packed, and parts are protected with bubble wrap. The manual comes in plastic packed.
View attachment 250444

Here is an overview of the content of the box. There are two (2) cardboard boxes with fittings, two bubble-wrapped logs with timber, and various supporting materials like plywood for the base, false deck. Six sheets of plan in scale 1:72, a pack of various sizes\diameter Pear dowels, and brass wires. One small wrapper package where boxwood carvings are.
View attachment 250445

Let sneak peek at the first bundle. It contained mostly laser-cut materials for base assembly, false deck, and deck material
View attachment 250447

When we opened the bubble wrap, we will be surprised with 10+ ply boards of the base construction. Actually, moving a bit ahead of the detailed kit review. there will be 2 bases: for the upper hull and bottom portion of the hull. (it is a secret, for now).
View attachment 250448

While it is just an open box review, I want to share with you a few sample boards from this bundle so you will just have an idea. Much more close-up images will be provided in the kit review.
View attachment 250449
View attachment 250450

The next bundle, tight with the tape, contained 45 + sheets of different width\thickness Pearwood parts. Those are frames, hull planking gun carriages, and all other parts. note the top board, it is 1mm thick and contained pre-shaped (spilled) hull planks. Also, shown the dowels and brass wire pack.
View attachment 250453
View attachment 250451
View attachment 250452

The next few boxes are fittings. The top of each box is labeled with contents for easy inventory and location.
View attachment 250454
View attachment 250455

The first fitting box contained 3D printed parts for bow and stern sections carefully packed with cotton. It is also contained a stern lantern, decorations in brass, brass tubes, and two resin bells each on its own plastic bag.
View attachment 250456
View attachment 250457

The second fitting box contains brass casting of Figurehead, CNC turned brass cannon barrels for both calibers, shot balls, 5 anchors, brass turned belaying pins, various sizes of brass rings, and brass nails. Photoetched parts on 6 frets. Note a plate labeled 'Decoration' this is the tool (scarper) for making various moldings.
View attachment 250458
View attachment 250460
The small bubble-wrapped package contained boxwood carvings. The image below also shown the 6 sheets of drafts rolled into a bundle
View attachment 250459

View attachment 250461

The last piece of the kit is the Instruction manual. It is actually named Instruction & Engineering Guide. covered in a plastic bag, It is 10mm thick, written in the English language, divided by 10 parts of various stages, also contained 2 color pages of the finished model.
View attachment 250462

The first impression of this kit is very good. It contained quality materials and very good documentation. Great impression on the various thickness of Pear boards specifically upper frame parts. Boxwood CNC decoration is spot on. This kit introduced a modern way of assembling this kit. The base is designed of two parts: upper and lower hull. It is evident that Sail and Sail Model designed this method for a wide range of modelers in mind: from intermediate to advanced.

I suspect, this kit will bring many fun hours while assembly. It also has the potential for 'bashing' should you decide to go this route.

A detailed Kit Review will follow up soon, contained much additional information and macro images for various parts. I will most likely start a brand new thread, so stay tuned.
looking forward to the review

View attachment 250440
View attachment 250442View attachment 250441

When we remove the bubble wrap protection, we can see the actual kit box, taped in the middle. It actually weighs 120 LB (54,5KG)
View attachment 250443

View attachment 250444

View attachment 250445

View attachment 250447

When we opened the bubble wrap, we will be surprised with 10+ ply boards of the base construction. Actually, moving a bit ahead of the detailed kit review. there will be 2 bases: for the upper hull and bottom portion of the hull. (it is a secret, for now).
View attachment 250448

View attachment 250449
View attachment 250450

The next bundle, tight with the tape, contained 45 + sheets of different width\thickness Pearwood parts. Those are frames, hull planking gun carriages, and all other parts. note the top board, it is 1mm thick and contained pre-shaped (spilled) hull planks. Also, shown the dowels and brass wire pack.
View attachment 250453
View attachment 250451
View attachment 250452

The next few boxes are fittings. The top of each box is labeled with contents for easy inventory and location.
View attachment 250454
View attachment 250455

The first fitting box contained 3D printed parts for bow and stern sections carefully packed with cotton. It is also contained a stern lantern, decorations in brass, brass tubes, and two resin bells each on its own plastic bag.
View attachment 250456
View attachment 250457

The second fitting box contains brass casting of Figurehead, CNC turned brass cannon barrels for both calibers, shot balls, 5 anchors, brass turned belaying pins, various sizes of brass rings, and brass nails. Photoetched parts on 6 frets. Note a plate labeled 'Decoration' this is the tool (scarper) for making various moldings.
View attachment 250458
View attachment 250460
View attachment 250459

View attachment 250461

The last piece of the kit is the Instruction manual. It is actually named Instruction & Engineering Guide. covered in a plastic bag, It is 10mm thick, written in the English language, divided by 10 parts of various stages, also contained 2 color pages of the finished model.
View attachment 250462

The first impression of this kit is very good. It contained quality materials and very good documentation. Great impression on the various thickness of Pear boards specifically upper frame parts. Boxwood CNC decoration is spot on. This kit introduced a modern way of assembling this kit. The base is designed of two parts: upper and lower hull. It is evident that Sail and Sail Model designed this method for a wide range of modelers in mind: from intermediate to advanced.

I suspect, this kit will bring many fun hours while assembly. It also has the potential for 'bashing' should you decide to go this route.

My dear friend,
I will follow with great curiosity after your work on this quality model.
Good luck mate Thumbsup :)

Dima, a good set. I wish you enjoy this build and we all wish you a lot of work. Tell me, is there a drawing of a model in scale on a large sheet with a body and accessories in the kit, or is everything just in the booklet?

Three days after Jim's delivery arrived today also my package from SAIL AND SAIL. It was good that two address labels were stuck on, because one was worn beyond recognition. The package is perfectly fine and no corner bumped.

P8160542.JPG
The monograph from "Ancre" was also brought out of the bookshelf and already put once to the package. It was my first monograph from "Ancre" and purchased used. At that time it was not so easy to get these monographs.

:)Bottle:)Okay

Best regards
Thomas

Wow - the content of this kit is looking great
- the stern latern is amazing, especially in this relatively small scale
- The timber sheets are very good quality
- the brass seet with photoetched parts - f.e. a steering wheel - looking very promising
-> I am looking forward to see your detailed kit review - :cool:

Three days after Jim's delivery arrived today also my package from SAIL AND SAIL. It was good that two address labels were stuck on, because one was worn beyond recognition. The package is perfectly fine and no corner bumped.

View attachment 250711
The monograph from "Ancre" was also brought out of the bookshelf and already put once to the package. It was my first monograph from "Ancre" and purchased used. At that time it was not so easy to get these monographs.

Best regards
Thomas
Dear Thomas
congratulations friend,
I will follow with great curiosity after your great work on this quality model.
Good luck mate Thumbsup :)

View attachment 250711

Best regards
Thomas
Congratulations to you too Thomas, looks like a well worn copy of the monograph

Back