Bending a file

I'm toying with the idea of bending a file so I can reach difficult spots. I plan on heating it to red heat, bending it, and then re-quenching it. I'm concerned that I may lose some sharpness from the heating. Anyone ever done something similar?

A Google search confirmed that I can. Coat the file with bar soap before heating to stop scaling and then re-quench to harden. I don't see a delete button so I'll edit this.

Last edited:
It would save you some time to buy a set of these rifflers.

Altraco - 10pc Smooth Cut Riffler File Set (woodcraft.com)
I think that a purchased set would have the same file grooves on both sides while if you try to bend a file I would think that the spacing on the inside will decrease being more fine and that on the outside will broaden and become more course. That outside may be what you are wanting for course or finishing work so some pre-planning upon the initial file may be in order. Good luck with an experimental one. Rich (PT-2)

I've got a cheap set of "diamond" rifflers but they are tapered and have abrasive all around. I end up with a 'wider than I want slot' when I use them. The ones you posted may be different.
It took maybe 30 mins. to do this (maybe more, I lose track of time when I'm doing this kind of stuff :) )
I heated, bent, and quenched in water in one go. because I bent them in one small spot there was no distortion of the teeth although I can see that happening if you tried to curve a file. Then I ground off the two sides leaving teeth on the face and smooth sides. If I grind the teeth off the side of a file leaving(in this case) an .073" wide file with a toothless edge it cuts a very clean slot that is very close to .073"(the width of my ledges). Just don't overheat the file when grinding it.
Anyway it was a success. I have done this before but I've never bent a file before. I've even used old dull files sharpened in phosphoric acid and they work a treat. I've got 50 years of old files(some of my dad's too)so I can custom grind one for each need. One of the three sides of a triangle file is usually pretty good, especially close to the tip.
The pictures are all of the same file

Attachments

• DSC04386.JPG
    DSC04386.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC04387.JPG
    DSC04387.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC04388.JPG
    DSC04388.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 23
I've got a cheap set of "diamond" rifflers but they are tapered and have abrasive all around. I end up with a 'wider than I want slot' when I use them. The ones you posted may be different.
It took maybe 30 mins. to do this (maybe more, I lose track of time when I'm doing this kind of stuff :) )
I heated, bent, and quenched in water in one go. because I bent them in one small spot there was no distortion of the teeth although I can see that happening if you tried to curve a file. Then I ground off the two sides leaving teeth on the face and smooth sides. If I grind the teeth off the side of a file leaving(in this case) an .073" wide file with a toothless edge it cuts a very clean slot that is very close to .073"(the width of my ledges). Just don't overheat the file when grinding it.
Anyway it was a success. I have done this before but I've never bent a file before. I've even used old dull files sharpened in phosphoric acid and they work a treat. I've got 50 years of old files(some of my dad's too)so I can custom grind one for each need. One of the three sides of a triangle file is usually pretty good, especially close to the tip.
The pictures are all of the same file
This sounds like a successful experiment. I was thinking about a well rounded file and not a dog-leg type as you made.
You know your needs and can shape files accordingly. Glad it worked for you. Rich (PT-2)

The dogleg just seems to change the cutting angle. A rounded one, like rifflers, make it difficult for me to cut a flat bottomed notch. because the angle keeps changing as the rounded surface travels across the work. I always end up with a notch that's rounded opposite to the tool. If you follow me.:)

The dogleg just seems to change the cutting angle. A rounded one, like rifflers, make it difficult for me to cut a flat bottomed notch. because the angle keeps changing as the rounded surface travels across the work. I always end up with a notch that's rounded opposite to the tool. If you follow me.:)
Yes, the shape of the file should follow the function and type of surfaces needing to be filed. In architecture Frank Lloyd Wright long ago stated: "Form follows Function" relating to the workable/serving design of buildings. Rich (PT-2)

Well, I can grab an old file, heat it, bend it grind it to shape and be using it in 1/2 hour for nothing. Or I can go on Amazon.ca, order rifflers for $10, pay $10 freight, wait at least a week for delivery and i would probably still have to grind it to the right shape :) :)

Interesting experiment that worked well for you. I'll keep this in mind if I need such a one.

I've got a set of those and I just can't get a nice clean notch. Could be a combo of old shaky hands, arthritis and ineptitude :)

Back