bending wood

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Staff member
Sponsor

another method used by Harold Hahn was form bending.

he would make a jig using the hull lines for the shape of the hull. Then use thin pieces of wood soak them and press them into the forum. He did several laminations when each was dry he used glue and put the pieces in the jig and clamped it closed until the glue dries. Once the glue dried it held the shape which would lay perfectly against the hull. sometimes he used all the same wood and sometimes he used different types of wood

form bending.jpg

Last edited:

Pathfinder65

All the methods shown are very interesting. I started out with my first build the 1799 Enterprise by Constructo with not a clue. It was a BD present, I looked at the kit and had the OMG moment. Bit by bit and with a lot of Forum help I managed to complete the build.
My wood bending skills were non-existent and I resorted to the DIY method.

96E10A52-0C40-4AEA-B686-18925C95722E.jpeg

I copied the shape of the hull from the plans to a 1 X 4 board. A quick cut on the bandsaw and I had three forms. I soaked the planks overnight and clamped them to the form. I did three planks at a time since my patience is quite limited.

I used the same process for my lobster boat build.

Jan

Pathfinder65

The Pilot house on my Tug built was another bending problem. There were two pieces, an underlay and overlay that needed to be bent.

After soaking the two pieces I placed them in this jig

69AFECE4-F60E-4F3D-90B1-19132458EAEE_1_201_a.jpeg

The end product came out fairly well.

F0BBD538-40AF-46A8-B789-9A7E412A972D_1_201_a.jpeg

Jan

JohnA

I have in the past used a normal clothes Iron.
First fill with water, let it heat up to highest setting, then place the wood strip on a surface and the iron on top of part of the strip to be bent.
leave it there for a minute making sure to apply lots of steam.
Then I pull the strip away from under the iron, (leave the iron firmly over the wooden strip) and use the Iron plate/sole's edge to curve wood strip out and up. The tighter the curve the the higher it is necessary to pull the wooden strip.