Thanks Guys! Great info. I’m just done with the initial planking on the Model Shipways Pilar and after soaking the basswood planking strips bend like crazy, much easier than when dry. I’m only worried about the wood being swollen from the soaking (I measured roughly a 10-20% increase in the plank widths compared to dry strips). It seems that after being thoroughly dry the basswood shrinks a little. Now that the hull is completely dry I notice that the seams are wider and I will have to use more wood filler than I thought. My efforts to get a nice tightly-planked hull without wood filler have been dashed to pieces
I don't know where the idea came from that you affix wet, or damp, planks to a hull.
Treat it as a 2 stage process - a little like full size practice.
1 - bend and shape the plank to fit its own specific place on the hull. You may elect to cut out the plank from wider material to incorporate a curve, or you may want to dampen the timber to allow steaming it to plasticity and clamping it into place until it dries.
2 - When it is dry, and retaining the shape you need, then you can final fit it, so that it butts tight up and will be watertight. glue it and treenail it into place.
Continue for the rest of the hull. use a scraper or abrasives to bring it to a fine finish, and apply a couple of seal coats of something appropriate to the final finish. It's always shellac for me, but YMMV.
I realise that, especially for a first attempt at planking, it is very tempting to get the newly curved and sopping plank onto the ship. Don't do it. Either strap it there until it dries, or make up a curving jig you can use to hold the curve overnight or until dry.
Jim