Benjamin W. Latham

I am building a model of the Benjamin W. Latham. Is is going along nicely. I am hung up on one area. The Transom. Trying to find the proper angle, the way the Plank sheer finishes to the Transom. Please help. Thank you. Gramps 79.

Hello, Gramps 79, and welcome aboard SOS! Many thanks for starting the build log. To help you more efficiently, please post some images so we can have a better idea for suggestions.

Hello, Gramps 79, and welcome aboard SOS! Many thanks for starting the build log. To help you more efficiently, please post some images so we can have a better idea for suggestions.
I cannot answer your question with historical accuracy but I am aware of three options: 1 - the planning runs past the transom planks with those ends exposed, 2 - the transom planks extend past the ends of the hull planking with the transom planks ends exposed, 3 - both are mitered at the mating angles so that there are no exposed ends and only the thin edge or corner line. I think that the last option looks best but is a challenge to achieve. Just a personal thought and may not match your needs. Rich (PT-2)

Gramps 79
I built this kit a couple of years or so ago. Unfortunately it was on another site and I can't find it.. But I can tell you that I had the same issue. Had a lot of suggestions but could never make the parts fit. I finally gave up and made the stern from scratch and made it look like I thought it should.
Good luck.

Gramps 79
I built this kit a couple of years or so ago. Unfortunately it was on another site and I can't find it.. But I can tell you that I had the same issue. Had a lot of suggestions but could never make the parts fit. I finally gave up and made the stern from scratch and made it look like I thought it should.
Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. Great minds think alike. I did the same thing. Gramps 79

I am building a model of the Benjamin W. Latham. Is is going along nicely. I am hung up on one area. The Transom. Trying to find the proper angle, the way the Plank sheer finishes to the Transom. Please help. Thank you. Gramps 79.
Hallo @Gramps 79
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the Benjamin W. Latham going?
Maybe you show us some progress and how you solved finally the problem you mentioned

Back