Best Expert Ship kit

Thank you for the welcome.

Maybe I am getting ahead of myself. I am a beginner, have no experience in building. I thought to challenge myself, I should jump straight to expert level. Do you think that is too naive ? Basically, I want to build something that is challenging, also looks good under the lights at home. I have done some research, there are few ships in mind like Norske Love, Victory but not sure which one to go with, and whether you would suggest to go with any of them considering it might be difficult for someone newbie like me. Thanks
Man after my heart, i jumped straight into Deagostinis Victory 1:84 scale and loving it. Made loads of mistakes that could be rectified and some that couldn't but unless you're a pro you wouldn't really notice it. My advice if you like a challenge just dive straight in. Hull planking was worst but give it a go mate

Welcome aboard. There are many ship models out there that would provide a serious challenge that are not considered "expert" level - but more like intermediate. BlueJacket Ship Crafters and Model Shipways/Model Expo have a wide range of kits from beginner on up. They also seem to have the best instructions for how to build your chosen ship. Many of the overseas manufacturers don't provide very good documentation for the build and you have to rely on a lot more research to get it done right. Which ever model you choose to start with - the important thing to remember is this is a hobby - relax and enjoy it.

A number of years ago, Bob Hunt, founder of Lauck Street Shipyard produced a series of true POF kits : Fair American, Halifax, Fubbs and Kingfisher. These kits set the standard for model ship kits, and Kingfisher was the crown jewel. All boxwood, authentic construction techniques, historically accurate and created in collaboration with David Antscherl, of the “Swan Class” books. This may be the best kit ever produced. They are rare and pricey, but if you find one, buy it!

Here is a magnificent build log of this amazing kit: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/hms-kingfisher-kings-fisher-tedboat.3244/

A thought to ponder about the concept of an "expert" ship model kit. Expert can be defined by large scale thousand piece kits. But "expert" can be defined in another way...how the details and fitment are mastered for any ship model kit. The concept of expert can be defined by how well any model is crafted for exacting detail and fine fitment of all parts and planks. Everything to scale. What many define as a "museum" quality assembly. Any kit can be assembled by average model builders with great satisfaction and pride to display. To put that same model on par with museum quality takes an expert master modeler. Same kit...two very different outcomes. So your challenge would be to choose any kit of interest and "master" the techniques for an "expert" build. Make sense??

Last edited:
I am a noob model assembler at best and have a few popular kits. My first project was a artesania latina chinese junk ( medium quality but good small project) I also have an Amati Endeavour 1;35 scale ( still in box ) appears to be good quality but I think amati's are more labor intensive ??? Currently working on a ZHL Top level Black Pearl that is great quality and not overly detailed. This is my second ship and I think it might suite your needs. my build log is here. I am also just starting a ZHL Le Requin (museum quality kit but a long term project) If you want to look at other ships from ZHL I can recommend them as great quality and good service
https://www.zhlmodel.com/index.php?route=common/home

The ZHL Le Requin is a difficult model to build, but very rewarding.
Yes looks like it will take me awhile, bought this for a long term side project as my skills improve (hopefully LOL). sort of like those 5000 piece jigsaw puzzles that seemed to be a good idea in the store and then you get home and take the lid off the box :oops:. Just starting the lifeboat now while waiting for parts on my other build. I am now spoiled with using pear wood, WOW! is it nice to work with.

Beautiful job on your requin by the way! I went over your build log many times before I bought the kit. Hey, so that means your responsible for me getting the kit. I feel so much better now that I know it's not any addiction issues on my behalf LOL. Thanks I feel much better now :)

Last edited:
Some more thoughts on the concept of expert kit. We are quick to think that large scale thousand part kits are "expert" level. Difficult maybe but not always an expert level build. A large kit may well have a lot of parts but if they are well made parts that require little to no shaping with detailed instructions then it is a matter of following the instructions like a jigsaw puzzle. Not necessarily challenging enough to be truly of the "expert" level. Perhaps an expert kit is one with a box full of strip wood and every part must be cut, shaped, and sanded. That might be an expert kit. In my thoughts a scratch build model is closer to describing an expert level build...and a kit with no premade parts, little to no instructions, and line drawing plans to guide the build might well need expert experience to complete.

Hi mate
Snowy here welcome to this great forum
I started with the amati adventure from modellers central
It was a pirate ship about 780 long and high.
It was a beginner kit and come with about $200 of beginners tools and 5 DVD's
The dvds were planking buff bows and other bows
Rigging ,planking decks , and basically covered all your needs for starting good luck
Cheers snowy20180415_131023.jpgMessage_1523352123016.jpg

aye, model building take more time than you think. I would be wary of anything that says beginner unless someone else has built and reviewed it. I'm building the St Helena from Constructo which is rated easy beginner (it was a gift) - a 2 masted schooner, solid body, no planking, @ 8 inch hull - BUT the wood/ply is so cheap and the precutting so average that I'm having to adapt and improve as I go along.

Back