Best scroll saw

Jolley Roger

I did the frame cutouts on my current build with a Proxxon DS230 (looks exactly the same as the DS115) and didn't have any problems, it seems to be very accurate.
It is essential to anchor the saw to your work surface(they actually provide screws for that purpose), if not it will jump around.

Norway

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

I have a cheaper variant of this type of saw, when I changed the blade the first time the material started to jump around the table, I was about to give up when I found out that I had made a huge mistake,
I had mounted the blade upside down, when I turned the blade it worked wery well, but I still have to hold on
the material hard against the table ..
Greeting-

DocBlake

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

The scroll saw cuts on the downward stroke, so orient the blade that way. I had a Dremel mini scroll saw that used to jump around. I don’t use it anymore. I’ve since concluded that a full sized scroll day is perfectly fine for model work! It’s heavy, so no stability issues. You want a finer cut? Use a thinner blade with more teeth. Cutting really tiny parts? Use a piece of 1/4” plywood clamped to the saw’s top as a “zero tolerance” cutting surface . I have a Porter Cable 18” variable speed full sized scroll saw that I use for model work as well as full sized woodworking.

donfarr

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

I have 2 scroll saws ONE IS A DREMEL ALL METAL SCROLL SAW HAD IT FOR OVER 25 years, no problems use it for larger model work like cutting frames, i have a dremell moto-saw for thinner materials it also works fine my larger dremell weighs about 35 pounds they do not make that any more. Don

JohnA

I have the PROXXON DS scroll saw and I am not happy with it at all. Whatever I am doing the workpiece jumps up and down with the blade and I can't change it. I tried different types of blades, different height settings of the press-down head but to no avail. I don't know what am I doing wrong here. I practically gave up using the DS at all. I would have lots to use this saw for (first of all carving blanks) but now I have to do it by hand or as much as possible by the PROXXON band saw.
Janos
I have had similar problems with some softer materials.
Because the blade catches the work piece when making curves I found that the blade needs to be really tight and using the higher speed setting helps.

janos

Y.T. & Uwe
Thanks for your responses. There is no problem with the direction of the sawblade and it is also perpendicular to the table. But Uwe's comment rang some bells here - does this 'jumping' to do only with the light weight table which can't keep the saw on the bench during the blades upward motion? It looks very likely, so I will have another try - although if memory serves me right I already tried to screw the table down... anyhow...
Janos

Submarinerblue

I got a Black and Decker on sale years ago. Variable speed, tilting table. Works fine. I find it hard to believe there’s that much difference in scroll saws. Of course, I could be wrong but mine did the job in cutting frame sections (futtocks?) with precision.