Best scroll saw

I have a cheaper variant of this type of saw, when I changed the blade the first time the material started to jump around the table, I was about to give up when I found out that I had made a huge mistake,
I had mounted the blade upside down, when I turned the blade it worked wery well, but I still have to hold on
the material hard against the table ..
Greeting-

The scroll saw cuts on the downward stroke, so orient the blade that way. I had a Dremel mini scroll saw that used to jump around. I don’t use it anymore. I’ve since concluded that a full sized scroll day is perfectly fine for model work! It’s heavy, so no stability issues. You want a finer cut? Use a thinner blade with more teeth. Cutting really tiny parts? Use a piece of 1/4” plywood clamped to the saw’s top as a “zero tolerance” cutting surface . I have a Porter Cable 18” variable speed full sized scroll saw that I use for model work as well as full sized woodworking.

I have 2 scroll saws ONE IS A DREMEL ALL METAL SCROLL SAW HAD IT FOR OVER 25 years, no problems use it for larger model work like cutting frames, i have a dremell moto-saw for thinner materials it also works fine my larger dremell weighs about 35 pounds they do not make that any more. Don

I have the PROXXON DS scroll saw and I am not happy with it at all. Whatever I am doing the workpiece jumps up and down with the blade and I can't change it. I tried different types of blades, different height settings of the press-down head but to no avail. I don't know what am I doing wrong here. I practically gave up using the DS at all. I would have lots to use this saw for (first of all carving blanks) but now I have to do it by hand or as much as possible by the PROXXON band saw.
Janos
I have had similar problems with some softer materials.
Because the blade catches the work piece when making curves I found that the blade needs to be really tight and using the higher speed setting helps.

Y.T. & Uwe
Thanks for your responses. There is no problem with the direction of the sawblade and it is also perpendicular to the table. But Uwe's comment rang some bells here - does this 'jumping' to do only with the light weight table which can't keep the saw on the bench during the blades upward motion? It looks very likely, so I will have another try - although if memory serves me right I already tried to screw the table down... anyhow...
Janos

I got a Black and Decker on sale years ago. Variable speed, tilting table. Works fine. I find it hard to believe there’s that much difference in scroll saws. Of course, I could be wrong but mine did the job in cutting frame sections (futtocks?) with precision.

Back