Biggest novice ship building mistakes!

In my quest to become a adequate ship builder, can/would anyone write down what they see as the most common mistake novice builders make? I don’t want to have to say, if i only knew this, my model i just spent 6 months building would be so much better!
I appreciate being in a forum with soooo much expert knowledge.

1708101759428.png
This was my first ship. A list was made of all the things to correct on the model after it was finished. If this helps you is some way, they were not made in vain.

1) The violin blocks are not installed upside down on the cargo lifting pendant tackles on the fore mast and main mast, port and starboard.
2) I forgot to install the decks and cannon carriages for the escape guns on the stern. Had to use some clever means of lowering the deck pieces with glue on them into the ship's stern from the top on the end of a stick.
3) Sail reinforcement bands for the reef points go on the rear side of the sails, not the front.
4) Tying running rigging lines first to belaying pin racks on the bulwarks behind the shrouds, letting the lines hang off the side of the hull, and wasting countless yards of line cutting them to the proper length when you're ready to rig them up in the masts is a better way than trying to belay lines onto easily broken pins using rigging tools through the holes in the shrouds. And, it's a LOT faster. I did La Couronne's rigging 100% the HARD WAY, one line at a time.
5) CA glue doesn't allow wood to stain. Get the staining of all wood done BEFORE assembly.
6) Many blocks (all Corel ones) were stained after rigging. Some of the standing rigging was stained black with leather dye after rigging. I'll make sure to use the correct color line and blocks from the same sources next time. Model Expo "beautiful blocks" and Falkonet blocks should replace crappy Italian kit blocks.
7) the decks should be sanded smooth, or better yet scraped smooth with a razor blade scraper, before making trenails with a pen or pencil and varnishing. You can feel the planks edges on the decks on La Couronne.
8) Using a Sharpy pen to blacken the edges on all sides of the deck blanks makes pitch sealing lines far too noticeable at 1:100 scale. Use graphite pencil next time to make deck lines subtle, and only darken one edge of each plank. That's all that is necessary to make plank seams stand out.
9) Change the sewing stitch method for bonnet and drabbler lacing to a simpler, less bulky stitch, so it appears to scale better.
10) Use CA glue on rigging more sparingly. It stains line and sails and turns lines into concrete. Use PVA instead unless you need quick drying of the glue.
11) Make custom sized kevels, and don't use the monster oversized kevel parts provided in this kit. The kevels extend far above the gunwale, which is really ridiculous.
12) Don't use CA glue anywhere near the clear plastic used for windows because the fumes fog them permanently.
13) The robands which tie the sails to the yards must be inboard of the brace lines where the brace lines are tied to the yardarm ends. Many of my sails came out too wide, and some of the robands lie outboard of the brace lines.
14) Never insert your shears or scissors into the tangled web of rigging with them open, or lines will mistakenly get sliced. I mistakenly sliced 5 lines, including a backstay which is hard to rig. God help you if you slice a shroud line after ratlining! That's really difficult to splice.
15) The breech rope loops on all the cannon cascabels are upside down. I learned later that there were some cases in which rigging them that way was correct.

Last edited:
The biggest (and saddest) mistake I see beginners do is starting with a kit they are not ready for thinking "How hard can it be? I'm a (insert professional title here) and I can build this toy."... They end up getting frustrated with it and drop out of the hobby never to be seen again.

you right about that. Beginners see that big ship and all the guns etc and want to build it. Starting with a little dory or schooner is just not an appealing subject but that is where you really have to start and work you way up.

I not that new to this, but I cut the gun ports about 6mm to high so I had to tear the planking off past the ports and do it all over
I've done that! I learned how effective a chisel pointed razor knife and a light tack hammer can be in removing planks held with CA glue and shaving off their remnants. It's careful work not damaging the edges of adjacent planks.

The biggest (and saddest) mistake I see beginners do is starting with a kit they are not ready for thinking "How hard can it be? I'm a (insert professional title here) and I can build this toy."... They end up getting frustrated with it and drop out of the hobby never to be seen again.
I have to agree with this. I am really doing this only a few months and have started with the Model Expo Grand Banks Dory and the Norwegian sailing pram. Both were fun builds and I learned so much. I believe it is really important to take your time and really understand what the instructions and building logs are telling you. Find as many build logs as you can and see how they do it. It will save you from making a lot of mistakes.

For me the best part of the build is the actual build. Don't rush!

I was conscious of trying not to make this mistake, and yet still find myself currently in the deep end. I was going to start with something like the Polaris, but after doing a bit of research & watching builds, my first thought was "That looked a little too easy, I want more of a challenge", not comprehending that those builders make it look easy, which instills a bit of overconfidence. I will say that in 45 years of modeling, I have never thrown a kit in the bin, but this is a humbling bone to chew. Many thanks to dockattner and others for the tips & tricks, and it will get done!

I was conscious of trying not to make this mistake, and yet still find myself currently in the deep end. I was going to start with something like the Polaris, but after doing a bit of research & watching builds, my first thought was "That looked a little too easy, I want more of a challenge", not comprehending that those builders make it look easy, which instills a bit of overconfidence. I will say that in 45 years of modeling, I have never thrown a kit in the bin, but this is a humbling bone to chew. Many thanks to dockattner and others for the tips & tricks, and it will get done!

"A man's got to know his limitations" - Dirty Harry

If you do know, you then can judge correctly what level of model ship build to attempt first. Otherwise you can get in overhead and know nothing but frustration.

Last edited:
I thought frustration and this hobby go hand in hand. BUT, then something goes right, looks good and satisfaction comes into play. So you carry on building.
Like a golfer always trying for that hole in one.... maybe next time....
Biggest thing I've learned, know where, when and how much CA to use.

Take your time. If you become frustrated
just walk away for awhile. I spent many hours going back and fixing work I had done when I was just not in the zone. This is suppose to be enjoyed and relaxing, if not just walk away for awhile. I my case it was for years before I had the bug again.

Done this many, many times, but I can’t tell you how many of those times have been a double-edge sword. Get flustered by something, walk away for a week or two, then when you get in the mind to get back to the bench, it was a 15 minute fix… now pissed at myself for letting it get to me and miss out on two weeks of build time.

Back