Billings St Roch RCMP Arctic Patrol Boat 1/72

With the purpose of increasing my involvement with the St Roch I purchased a commemorative first day issue stamp.
IMG_1303.jpeg

My question to my fellow Canadian modelers, was this a gross inaccuracy of Canada Post mentioning it as being the ship on the Canadian dime, as far as I know only Bluenose was used ?
IMG_1304.jpeg

My question to my fellow Canadian modelers, was this a gross inaccuracy of Canada Post mentioning it as being the ship on the Canadian dime, as far as I know only Bluenose was used ?
View attachment 430896
The St. Roch was my first serious model. It is enlightening to watch a real pro build it. To my knowledge the St. Roch was never on the dime - but I could be wrong ….

The St. Roch was my first serious model. It is enlightening to watch a real pro build it. To my knowledge the St. Roch was never on the dime - but I could be wrong ….
Thank you for your kind words, I am not a “pro”, this is my first model of this size. I have just done a lot of reading of other logs and learning from them.

You made me curious. I am no stamp expert but I think that the company that produced the card on which the stamp is placed is called Fleetwood. It is known for first day issues of American stamps. I think that this company made the error, not Canada Post.

You made me curious. I am no stamp expert but I think that the company that produced the card on which the stamp is placed is called Fleetwood. It is known for first day issues of American stamps. I think that this company made the error, not Canada Post.

I am sure that must be the case.

Air brushed a coat of Vallejo Surface Primer, still haven’t sanded it.

Any suggestions of how to even out the imperfections other than wood filler?

The idea is to air brush the finishing coats.

IMG_1567.jpegIMG_1566.jpeg

Last edited:
In the “paint booth”.

Not specially happy with Vallejo (70.961) equivalent to the unavailable in USA Billings paint. Added some black, but may need to add some more as the color is too light.

View attachment 442729
God morning Steven. Wow you certainly gave yourself a sanding task with all that poly filler. The end result came out well tho. I would look at stern by the rail and bring out some sanding sticks- just a little fettling and she will be awesome. Cheers Grant

In the “paint booth”.

Not specially happy with Vallejo (70.961) equivalent to the unavailable in USA Billings paint. Added some black, but may need to add some more as the color is too light.

View attachment 442729

Hello Steven, when I was trying to match the colour of the St. Roch for my build I tried to compare the paint from a photo of the original ship in the museum in Vancouver with a relevant Vallejo paint.

It was difficult but I settled on Vallejo Blue Grey #71.114, which was a “near enough” for me plus I liked the tone of the colour. I don’t know if this helps you but at least it removes the variations trying to mix black with paint you used.

If you want to check out the Vallejo colour I used there is a link to my build in my signature below. Hope this helps.

God morning Steven. Wow you certainly gave yourself a sanding task with all that poly filler. The end result came out well tho. I would look at stern by the rail and bring out some sanding sticks- just a little fettling and she will be awesome. Cheers Grant
Hello Grant, yes there is some work to do before I add the whale strip.

Hello Steven, when I was trying to match the colour of the St. Roch for my build I tried to compare the paint from a photo of the original ship in the museum in Vancouver with a relevant Vallejo paint.

It was difficult but I settled on Vallejo Blue Grey #71.114, which was a “near enough” for me plus I liked the tone of the colour. I don’t know if this helps you but at least it removes the variations trying to mix black with paint you used.

If you want to check out the Vallejo colour I used there is a link to my build in my signature below. Hope this helps.
Thank you, Thank you Roger, that was the tip I was hoping for.

Back