Black Pearl 1:50 ZHL All-Scenario version

Captain’s Log…….July 25, 2022
Build time today: 2 hours 15 min.
Total build time: 307 hours
Construction for the Black Pearl (All-Scenario version)

Personal note: Ahoy mates. It has been a while since the last Captain's Log. That would be last October 12, 2021! WOW! Has it been that long? Well, you know how it goes. Life is always throwing curve balls at us and while the last year has been good health for the Admiral and me, yet, many friends have experienced either loss or illness. From the holidays last year into the New Year, I was busy with home repairs or remodeling and other things to accomplish, it just didn't leave much time to navigate working on the Black Pearl. I'm trying to slowly work myself back into the swing of things and will start devoting some time each week to complete my build.

Gun Port Covers:
While nothing to complicated here to report, these pesky little things took some time. I had completed four on the Starboard side before shutting down last year....but the last 11 for the Portside has taken me (9) hours to complete the last eleven.

View attachment 320257
I started by trying to organize what I would need to make the remaining (14) gun port covers. I secured the first one I made on the ship just to see if my idea would work.

View attachment 320259
This is the only one that the three holes looked pretty straight on....of course, I didn't have any rum to this point.:)

View attachment 320260
This little jig helped me keep that little cover square, then I glued the hinges in place.

View attachment 320261
Next, those little pesky eye hooks were set. Have fun lining up the holes with the hinges and the eye hooks without gluing your fingers to everything! LOL!

View attachment 320262
View attachment 320264
I bent two nails and wrapped the hinges over the back side of the gun port cover. Applied a dab of glue and will drill two holes in the hull to set the gun cover. Also, tied a rope between both eyelets. (this cover has a dap of golden oak stain applied)

View attachment 320269

I attached a steel wire and glued both sides of the thingamajig together...this will go above the gun port covers and attach to the rope between the gun cover eyelets.

View attachment 320270View attachment 320271
So, here's a look at all some completed covers and a closer look with the 2nd pic.

View attachment 320272
Here are the thingamajigs.....mates, what is the proper name?

Sometime this week, I'll get the airgun out and blow off any dust on the Pearl and get all these gun port covers attached. Then its on to the deadeyes.

Ahoy all,
Rick
Good morning Rick. Nice...you owned those gun ports. They fit a Pirate ship perfectly. No idea Re your thingamajigs. Cheers Grant

I would like to ask, what is the reason for this rope between the two eyelets ?
It is outside the hull, so no seaman can handle it, or?

IMG_7623.jpg

I would like to ask, what is the reason for this rope between the two eyelets ?
It is outside the hull, so no seaman can handle it, or?

View attachment 320304
Ahoy Uwek! Take a look at the two enclosed pics! Apparently, the ship‘s model (& plans) show a crank type mechanism that would control the strut from inside the hull to lower and raise the gun port. I added another rope that would hang down to pull the cover shut. Make sense???

64B55C63-A22B-4EF2-B63E-6EB7F9BF626D.png6682F5C1-84BC-41D8-818D-6B9223FC3A5B.png
Ahoy and good sailing to you!

Good morning Rick. Nice...you owned those gun ports. They fit a Pirate ship perfectly. No idea Re your thingamajigs. Cheers Grant
Grant, nice bike! Great open road! I have a Honda 700 CTX! 68 years young and still love getting on the bike! Although the Admiral made me buy two electric bikes! She rides her Yamaha scooter with me sometimes when I go out for a nice, quiet ride in the early AM! It’s easy for me to hit the back country from my home in San Diego! Incredible to think nothing has changed in scenery much, even since long before Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday were riding horses here! :)Be well!

Grant, nice bike! Great open road! I have a Honda 700 CTX! 68 years young and still love getting on the bike! Although the Admiral made me buy two electric bikes! She rides her Yamaha scooter with me sometimes when I go out for a nice, quiet ride in the early AM! It’s easy for me to hit the back country from my home in San Diego! Incredible to think nothing has changed in scenery much, even since long before Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday were riding horses here! :)Be well!
Good evening. Nothing like the freedom of 2 wheels in a beautiful environment. The Honda 700 Ctx lovely tourer with automatic shifting should you choose - nice. Even better to share some with the Admiral. Cheers Grant

Good evening. Nothing like the freedom of 2 wheels in a beautiful environment. The Honda 700 Ctx lovely tourer with automatic shifting should you choose - nice. Even better to share some with the Admiral. Cheers Grant
Yes, DCT tranny is nice for us older guys! Still have manual if I want to though with a flick of a button! My CTX is a 2016!

Hey Mates....for $89 + $19 shipping I may have to put this NEW version of the Black Pearl in dry dock to complement my All-Scenario version. Check out the pic below and also......

.....Enjoy the Song and video of the (Sea Shanty) The Name of the Ship was the Billy 'O Tea

sunk10-651x800.jpg

Hey Mates....for $89 + $19 shipping I may have to put this NEW version of the Black Pearl in dry dock to complement my All-Scenario version. Check out the pic below and also......

.....Enjoy the Song and video of the (Sea Shanty) The Name of the Ship was the Billy 'O Tea

View attachment 320412
Very interesting idea

View attachment 320412
Hi Rick I saw that new BP model the other day, I think it would look great next to my Pearl.

Hi Rick I saw that new BP model the other day, I think it would look great next to my Pearl.
Absolutely, Tony! The Admiral told me it’s a must for me! I’ll buy it in a few more months….I’m going to tie in an Mp3 player to the base so when you hit the play button, I’ll have several Pirate songs on the loop! I thought the one ZHL customer did a great job with the sand base! Also, liked the seabird nest where the center lamp used to rest! I’d love to follow your build on it! Simple enough as a novelty, but a wonderful display compliment to your great, Black Pearl! Perhaps I should saw my incomplete Pearl in half and make an all-scenario version of the shipwreck….it will get me out of doing deadeyes, Ratlines, sails, and rigging!:)ROTF

Absolutely, Tony! The Admiral told me it’s a must for me! I’ll buy it in a few more months….I’m going to tie in an Mp3 player to the base so when you hit the play button, I’ll have several Pirate songs on the loop! I thought the one ZHL customer did a great job with the sand base! Also, liked the seabird nest where the center lamp used to rest! I’d love to follow your build on it! Simple enough as a novelty, but a wonderful display compliment to your great, Black Pearl! Perhaps I should saw my incomplete Pearl in half and make an all-scenario version of the shipwreck….it will get me out of doing deadeyes, Ratlines, sails, and rigging!:)ROTF
This would be a wish list item at the moment as I'm planning to build the constitution next. My Unicorn is nearly finished but I have to many things on the to-do list as we're planning to move house next year.
I would be very interested in seeing a build log for this kit.

Captain’s Log…….July 30, 2022
Build time today: 1 hour 15 min.
Total build time: 312 hours 30 min.

Construction for the Black Pearl (All-Scenario version)

Build Guidelines:
Ahoy mates! The Captain is slowly getting back into the swing of it. It's been a bit salty over the past nine months with so much work the Admiral had me doing. (not building the Pearl;)) I've been able to start back a bit before the Fall season, ready for the gangbuster of all follies, that would be me starting to do the standing and running rigging. I'll be just cleaning up some odds and ends and following no particular order in regard to the 2nd Pole instruction manual.

In the last Captain's Log, I finished up making all the gun port covers....now they're all attached to the ship and I wanted to give you matey's a better look on how they turned out. My photography is lacking and the pics never seem to do justice, but I am happy with the results and the detail I applied.

tempImageswdFQX.png
tempImageC4vgMf.png
tempImage474XxY.png
tempImage8Vy7da.png

Well, for the first time in almost 9 months I had to reach for the 2nd Pole parts box to start the tiny deadeyes. Portside is the full side of the ship in the ALL-Scenario version and with no cutouts there are 20 deadeyes required. Thirteen 7mm (Part X4) and Seven 5mm (Part X3) are tiny pieces that are a bit tricky for thumbs and fingers to handle...they are easily lost if they drop to the floor, so be warned. Additionally, twenty pieces of Deadeye strap (Part K2) are needed to complete the Deadeyes.

tempImageKo1vBw.png
Referencing these deadeyes to a penny, you can see the size of the 7mm & 5mm deadeyes when compared to Lincoln's head! I decided to use some tips from the other guys who have build the Pearl and I purchased some different diameter wire to work with these deadeyes. I used 22 gauge (.73mm) Dark Annealed Steel wire for the 7mm deadeyes, and 24 gauge (.58mm) for the 5mm deadeyes.

First, I positioned the single hole at the bottom of the loop. (here, the example is on the 5mm deadeye). Then with the pliers holding both ends of the wire, I gently twisted the deadeye a couple turns to tighten up around the deadeye. (left just a tad space to move the deadeye into the proper position)

tempImageQ8An4X.pngtempImagegq81lb.png

After twisting the wire, I positioned one end of the wire at a horizontal to the position of the deadeye. I trimmed the other end all the way up to the wire.

tempImage9SMXBM.pngtempImagezdUDow.png

Next, I started to make a loop into the wire and then trimmed back excess wire.. At which point, this is where I would hang the Deadeye strap.

tempImage6M6xNf.pngtempImagefM7JhN.png

I crimped the loop with my needle-nose pliers and adjusted the Deadeye strap so it would hang straight and in line with the deadeye. I drilled out the holes a tiny bit more with a hand drill just to make sure the holes were clean in the deadeyes for the ropes to pull through.

tempImagety6B9I.png

Finally, I thinned some black acrylic paint and dipped them, let them dry and here is all the deadeyes for the Portside.

tempImageBg7qyp.pngtempImageKiGywO.png

Next week, I'll finish up the Starboard side, many deadeyes of which will not require deadeye straps because that side of the ship is open and will only require placement of the deadeyes with the wire wound around them. I'll be getting focused on final placement of the masts, building the rudder and finishing up other odds and ends as I come closer to start running the first shroud lines. I likely will not secure the Deadeye straps until I see how the alignment of the first shroud lines will affect the angles. My understanding is that the straps are to run parallel to the lines..

tempImageM0xk8Q.png

That's all for now matey's!

tempImageC1pU75.png

Ahoy all,
Rick

Last edited:
I have just completed the ZHL Black Pearl. I just want to say that regardless of all the negative words people say about ZHL, this was by far the best quality model I have ever built. The walnut was the hardest, tight-grained wood I have ever seen in any other model. The detail was incredible. I ordered the third pole to finish it off. I was so impressed with the Black Pearl that I just ordered the Mayflower which looks like it will be just as satisfying as the Pearl.
I was getting bored and losing motivation with the European kits to the point that I put the Mamoli HMS Bounty on indefinite hold. I doubt I will go back to the European kits anytime soon.
I guess I will start a build log for the Mayflower when I start it in a month or so.
If anyone has any questions on how I did anything with the Pearl build, ask away!

View attachment 262771View attachment 262772View attachment 262773View attachment 262774View attachment 262775View attachment 262776

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there are times when the chainplates can’t go in line with the shrouds. They would cover the cannons. Also, make sure shrouds don’t get in the way of upper level guns.

Pirate Lore, Myths & Legends #11
(sources: Wikipedia)

Hello Mates! Please enjoy some interesting facts from…..​

The Golden Age of Piracy: Age of the Buccaneers: 1650–1690

pirates-history.jpeg

300px-The_Buccaneers_of_America_9.jpg

Roche Braziliano was a notoriously cruel buccaneer who operated out of Port Royal, Jamaica. He was a privateer in Bahia, Brazil, before moving to Port Royal in 1654. He led a mutiny and adopted the life of a buccaneer. On his first adventure he captured a ship of immense value and brought it back safely to Jamaica. He eventually was caught and sent to Spain, but he escaped with threats of vengeance from his followers.

He soon resumed his criminal career, purchasing a new ship from fellow pirate François l'Olonnais and later sailing in company with Sir Henry Morgan and Joseph Bradleyamong others. Braziliano's first mate Yellows eventually became a captain in his own right, sailing with Braziliano, Morgan, and others in raids against the Spanish.

Drunken and debauched, Braziliano would threaten to shoot anyone who did not drink with him. He roasted alive two Spanish farmers on wooden spits after they refused to hand over their pigs. He treated his Spanish prisoners barbarously, typically cutting off their limbs or roasting them alive over a fire.

After 1671, Braziliano was never seen or heard from again. To this day, nobody knows what became of the Dutch pirate. Whether he (and his vessel and men) were lost at sea in a brutal storm, was secretly captured, or possibly retired and lived the rest of his life in anonymity is a matter of debate.

300px-Francoislollonais.JPG.jpg

François l'Ollonais was nicknamed "Flail of the Spaniards" and had a reputation for brutality – offering no quarter to Spanish prisoners. In 1666 l'Olonnais sailed from Tortuga with a fleet of eight ships and a crew of 440 pirates to sack Maracaibo in what is modern day Venezuela, joining forces with fellow buccaneer Michel le Basque.[1] En route, l'Olonnais crossed paths with a Spanish treasure ship which he captured, along with its cargo of cocoa beans, gemstones and more than 260,000 Spanish dollars.

At the time the entrance to Lake Maracaibo and thus the city itself was defended by the San Carlos de la Barra Fortress with sixteen guns, which was thought to be impregnable. He approached it from its undefended landward side and took it in few hours. He then proceeded to pillage the city, and found that most of the residents had fled and that their gold had been hidden. L'Olonnais' men tracked down the residents and tortured them until they revealed the location of their possessions. They also seized the fort's cannon and demolished most of the town's defence walls to ensure that a hasty retreat was possible.

L'Olonnais himself was an expert torturer, and his techniques included slicing portions of flesh off the victim with a sword, burning them alive, or tying knotted "woolding" (rope bound around a ship's mast to strengthen it) around the victim's head until their eyes were forced out.

Over the following two months, l'Olonnais and his men tortured, pillaged and eventually burned much of Maracaibo before moving to San Antonio de Gibraltar, on the eastern shore of Lake Maracaibo. Despite being outnumbered the pirates slaughtered 500 soldiers of Gibraltar's garrison and held the city for ransom. Despite the payment of the ransom (20,000 pieces of eight and five hundred cattle), l'Olonnais continued to ransack the city acquiring a total of 260,000 pieces of eight, gems, silverware, silks as well as a number of slaves. Word of his attack on Maracaibo and Gibraltar reached Tortuga, and l'Olonnais earned a reputation for his ferocity and cruelty. He was given the nickname "The Bane of Spain" (French: Fléau des Espagnols).

William_Dampier_-_Project_Gutenberg_eText_15675.jpg

William Dampier (baptised 5 September 1651;[1] died March 1715) was an Englishexplorer, pirate, privateer, navigator, and naturalist who became the first Englishman to explore parts of what is today Australia, and the first person to circumnavigate the world three times. He has also been described as Australia's first natural historian, as well as one of the most important British explorers of the period between Francis Drake(16th century) and James Cook (18th century), he "bridged those two eras" with a mix of piratical derring-do of the former and scientific inquiry of the later.

His expeditions were among the first to identify and name a number of plants, animals, foods, and cooking techniques for a European audience; being among the first English writers to use words such as avocado, barbecue, and chopsticks. In describing the preparation of avocados, he was the first European to describe the making of guacamole, named the breadfruit plant, and made frequent documentation of the taste of numerous foods foreign to the European palate such as flamingo and manatee.

After impressing the Admiralty with his book A New Voyage Round the World, Dampier was given command of a Royal Navy ship and made important discoveries in western Australia, before being court-martialled
for cruelty. On a later voyage he rescued Alexander Selkirk, a former crewmate who may have inspired Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe. Others influenced by Dampier include James Cook, Horatio Nelson, Charles Darwin, and Alfred Russel Wallace.

440px-Jean_Bart_mg_9487.jpeg

Although Jean Bart was born the son of a fisherman, he was able to retire as an admiral in French service on the strength of his captures during his time as a privateer.

When he was young, Bart served in the Dutch navy under Admiral Michiel de Ruyter. When war broke out between France and the United Provinces in 1672, he entered the French service. Since only persons of noble birth could then serve as officers in the navy, he instead became captain of one of the Dunkirk privateers. In that capacity, he displayed such astonishing bravery that Louis XIV sent him on a special mission to the Mediterranean, where he gained great distinction.

Unable to receive a command in the navy because of his low birth, he held an irregular sort of commission, but he had such success that he became a lieutenant in 1679. He became a terror to the Dutch navy and a serious menace to the commerce of Holland. On one occasion, with six vessels, he broke through a blockading fleet, shattered a number of the enemy's ships and convoyed a transport of grain safely into Dunkirk harbor. He rose rapidly to the rank of captain and then to that of admiral.

Many anecdotes tell of the courage and bluntness of the uncultivated sailor, who became a popular hero of the French Navy. He captured a total of 386 ships and also sank or burned a great number more. The town of Dunkirk has honoured his memory by erecting a statue and by naming a public square after him. During the carnival of Dunkirk, held every year the Sunday before Holy Tuesday, local people kneel all together in front of his statue and sing the Cantate à Jean Bart [circular reference]. Jean Bart is viewed by the inhabitants of Dunkirk as a local hero. During the interwar period, in 1928, following excavations carried out in the church, Dr. Louis Lemaire found the bones of Jean Bart, which makes it possible to estimate his size, 1.90 m.

Anything new on the BP, Rick?
Hi Vic,
No, my BP is still in dry dock! So many Honey-do projects! I’m hoping to get back at it soon though! Started a mast and almost done with everything on the ship! Just not installing the three rear lanterns until later! I can see that my clumsy hands would get in the way of them during rigging time! Be well!

Back