Black Pearl 1:50 ZHL All-Scenario version

Captain's Log ~~~ March 08, 2021

Today is an exciting day. The day is cool, seas still calm but skies are clouding due to an approaching winter storm. There will be no red skies tonight, only the burning of midnight oil because the booty from the far distant land of ZHL has arrived. The estimated weight of the haul is 7.5 kg's. The boxed unraveling reveals the treasure, a 1:50 scale wooden ship kit of the Black Pearl in the All-Scenario version. So, its time to sit back for a bit and pour some rum into a fine glass. Best to first layout the goods on the Captain's pool table. In this way, the Admiral will be able to see how I could justify the expense. Quickly now, before she returns from the market.

The Admiral may doubt my true will and desire to complete this voyage. Her idea of money better spent might be visiting a not-too-distant port in Las Vegas. A little R & R, have a nice dinner after gaming some slots, followed by a show, and retiring for the evening to a luxury suite. Then, to awaken the next morning to gorge oneself with champagne, a full buffet brunch and parting amenities before sailing off to our home port. Alas, such a diversion allows the locals to just laugh themselves silly from picking my pockets as they present me with a final Bill of Departure. Just another fool who leaves a bit poorer for taking a 24-hour tour.

Shiver me timbers! Now these words from a loyal swashbuckler, "Captain, I believe the Admiral is discussing plans with her aide-de-camp (my mother-in-law) to chart reservations for you to sail them both to the Isle of Vegas, and anchor at a port called Treasure Island in the not-too-distant future." (The charts reveal this as dangerous territory, with an enemy ship floating in a fountain of Emerald water.) I can see she will not be denied her share of the contract agreement between us, which guarantees her equal doubloons and subsidies for any unnecessary squander taken by me, the Captain of the ship.

"This to: I saw her laughing and heard her talking to the gulls sitting on the rail, saying that he's not likely to keep the Pearl afloat for too long, a doubting Thomas." Experience tells her that you'll lose interest over time and this task may be above your pay grade. As a retired Captain, the Admiral predicts that I'll be off to other new endeavors long before the planking of the second skin.

Truth be told, the only restrictions I have been forewarned about by the Admiral is TO NOT BUILD ANYWHERE NEAR THE GALLEY OR THE DINING ROOM TABLE. So it is, the Captain's Quarter's will be my abode. (The garage workbench with my trusty hounds at my side and at my feet.) "Okay, for now we are safe from any mutiny, and being forced to 'dancing with the hempen jig' is not part of the Admiral's current plans for me. So, I will put this parched message in a bottle and have you cast it overboard for posterity. You can bear witness that you saw me set my hand and seal to this pledge as follows:

For the words I write about the build, and despite all progress on this ship,
entries are for hopes that will give us a plank to offer constructive lip.
I know this challenge will last more than a year, rather than mere months you see,
yet, hopefully entertaining for all those aboard taking this voyage with me.

You see this thread will not be about being a pro and making it all work and no play,
but rather for learning and hearing from mates who may have something to say.
I send to each of you bucko's upon me starting this two-box kit,
cheers and wishes for good health, all glued together with time in a bottle as I see fit.

.....and so it begins, my thread on the build of the Black Pearl. Ahoy mates!

Disclaimer: (I am 66 years young. I decided to do something I've never done before, that is to build a wooden ship model. Since I enjoyed the "Pirates" movies, I looked in many places for a "wooden" Black Pearl " kit. Eventually, I found a Chinese manufacturer, ZHL on the internet after a few searches, so I ordered the Pearl. I've been doing a lot of reading, research and YouTube vids on model ship building over the past few months. Ordering new tools and making some. Now, I have discovered the SHIPS OF SCALE forum. After joining, I see there may exist two sides of the spectrum in regard to who and what is credible or not as a legitimate model and/or supplier of these type kits. I personally don't have a dog in this fight since I possess little knowledge and skill in regard to this hobby or craft. I'm just a simple mate who'll enjoy some rum when documenting my build. In simple terms, I added building a $500+ wooden ship to my retirement bucket list to relax, not to raise my blood pressure...LOL!)
Hallo Rick alias @Ahoy All
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thank you mates! 68 years young today! Going out to this great little Italian restaurant for lunch, then cake, ice cream and surprises from the Admiral’s little party when we get home! We finally binge watched the last three seasons of Black Sails this week! Loved it!

Happy Birthday Rick hope you have a fantastic day, looking forward to a black pearl update and some more pirate tales.
Will do Tony! Won’t be long! The Admiral and I just finished binge watching “Black Sails” on DVD…4 seasons, like 40 episodes…great story!

Rick, my Black Pearl has been sitting 900 miles away for over a year. I was burnt out after building it, thinking I had made too many mistakes on it. I visited her with the new owner two nights ago. Guess what! She looks mahvelous! You get away from it and you don’t see all the mistakes you made on it years ago and are quite impressed with the workmanship. I’m sure I’ll see the Soleil Royal with new eyes when I come back next year. Now I mostly see all the errors.

Rick, my Black Pearl has been sitting 900 miles away for over a year. I was burnt out after building it, thinking I had made too many mistakes on it. I visited her with the new owner two nights ago. Guess what! She looks mahvelous! You get away from it and you don’t see all the mistakes you made on it years ago and are quite impressed with the workmanship. I’m sure I’ll see the Soleil Royal with new eyes when I come back next year. Now I mostly see all the errors.
I completely understand Vic. My Black Pearl was my first venture into wooden ship modeling. While I punted my way through to where she sits now, I did burn myself out with 6 hour days working on the model. Now, with the hull completely finished and it resting in a safe place, all my friends marvel at the ship and keep asking when will I get back to finishing the masts and sails....ha! As summer winds down, I'll be energized in the Fall to start up, but more than likely no more than a few hours daily. Heck, I have the San Felipe on the shelf and I haven't even opened the box. Be well.

Pirate Lore, Myths & Legends #10

Hi Mates, about a 1 1/2 years back, ken s recommended the series Black Sails to me. I bought the full 4 season DVD set and we just finished binge watching Seasons 2-4 during the past two weeks. I highly recommend it too, for any of you swashbucklers who enjoy real action, dynamic cinematography, and just great acting. This episode of Pirate Lore, Myths, & Legends is dedicated to that fine series. It got my juices flowing again....to get me back to work on my Black Pearl.

So many of the great Pirates of old that I have documented in my little time line are there in character.
It's worth watching if you haven't seen it and I have included the YouTube Trailer of the movie for your enjoyment! Just hit the link below!

To all us 21st Century Pirates, Ahoy All!

Rick

You ever seen the movie "Black Sails

Pirate Lore, Myths & Legends #10

Hi Mates, about a 1 1/2 years back, ken s recommended the series Black Sails to me. I bought the full 4 season DVD set and we just finished binge watching Seasons 2-4 during the past two weeks. I highly recommend it too, for any of you swashbucklers who enjoy real action, dynamic cinematography, and just great acting. This episode of Pirate Lore, Myths, & Legends is dedicated to that fine series. It got my juices flowing again....to get me back to work on my Black Pearl.

So many of the great Pirates of old that I have documented in my little time line are there in character.
It's worth watching if you haven't seen it and I have included the YouTube Trailer of the movie for your enjoyment! Just hit the link below!

To all us 21st Century Pirates, Ahoy All!

Rick

Good morning Rick. Happy belated Birthday on Friday. Excellent log BTW. I have watched this series as there is a strong SA connection. The set with the ships where at a studio in Cape Town (Sommerset West) and some of my kids friends took part in stunts and make up. They made full size mock up of some of the ships and was cool to visit. All have been removed now. I agree a fun series to watch. Cheers Grant

Good morning Rick. Happy belated Birthday on Friday. Excellent log BTW. I have watched this series as there is a strong SA connection. The set with the ships where at a studio in Cape Town (Sommerset West) and some of my kids friends took part in stunts and make up. They made full size mock up of some of the ships and was cool to visit. All have been removed now. I agree a fun series to watch. Cheers Grant
I bet they had a blast, Grant!

We loved it Grant! Watched the 1st Season a year and a half ago and then put it on the shelf! Pulled it out and the Admiral and me went through Season 2-4 in like three days! Ate a lot of popcorn too!

Captain’s Log…….July 25, 2022
Build time today: 2 hours 15 min.
Total build time: 307 hours
Construction for the Black Pearl (All-Scenario version)

Personal note: Ahoy mates. It has been a while since the last Captain's Log. That would be last October 12, 2021! WOW! Has it been that long? Well, you know how it goes. Life is always throwing curve balls at us and while the last year has been good health for the Admiral and me, yet, many friends have experienced either loss or illness. From the holidays last year into the New Year, I was busy with home repairs or remodeling and other things to accomplish, it just didn't leave much time to navigate working on the Black Pearl. I'm trying to slowly work myself back into the swing of things and will start devoting some time each week to complete my build.

Gun Port Covers:
While nothing to complicated here to report, these pesky little things took some time. I had completed four on the Starboard side before shutting down last year....but the last 11 for the Portside has taken me (9) hours to complete the last eleven.

IMG_7271.jpg
I started by trying to organize what I would need to make the remaining (14) gun port covers. I secured the first one I made on the ship just to see if my idea would work.

IMG_7272.jpg
This is the only one that the three holes looked pretty straight on....of course, I didn't have any rum to this point.:)

IMG_7274.jpg
This little jig helped me keep that little cover square, then I glued the hinges in place.

IMG_7275.jpg
Next, those little pesky eye hooks were set. Have fun lining up the holes with the hinges and the eye hooks without gluing your fingers to everything! LOL!

IMG_7277.jpg
IMG_7623.jpg
I bent two nails and wrapped the hinges over the back side of the gun port cover. Applied a dab of glue and will drill two holes in the hull to set the gun cover. Also, tied a rope between both eyelets. (this cover has a dap of golden oak stain applied)

IMG_7292.jpg

I attached a steel wire and glued both sides of the thingamajig together...this will go above the gun port covers and attach to the rope between the gun cover eyelets.

IMG_7620.jpgIMG_7619.jpg
So, here's a look at the completed covers and a closer look with the 2nd pic.

IMG_7622.jpg
Here are the thingamajigs.....mates, what is the proper name?

Sometime this week, I'll get the airgun out and blow off any dust on the Pearl and get all these gun port covers attached. Then its on to the deadeyes.

Ahoy all,
Rick

Last edited:
Back