Black Pearl 1:50 ZHL All-Scenario version

26f6d1d2-8048-4ef3-a568-9181e3326355-jpeg.200658
Yeah, I’m going to hold off with attaching the anchors for now. Don’t want them in the way when I start some of the rigging! My clumsy hands would knock them around. Same with the rudder!

Captain’s Log (3)…….October 12, 2021
Build time today: 1 hour(s)
Total build time: 298 hours
Construction for the Black Pearl (All-Scenario version)

Build guidelines: I was not looking forward to this part of the build. I had a hard enough time with the planking on the main ship. To think I had to plank three tiny rowboats…..I like Jodies’s idea of using masking tape, went to the garage and still had some black tape. The Admiral shut that plan down.ROTF;)ROTF There wasn’t enough rum in the house to get me through this….but I struggled to manage locating the parts and here’s what happened.

Rowboats:

Laying those first three keel pieces brought back clenched teeth and a stiff spine.

B739CECA-9559-43EE-A4F1-6D59548B1654.jpeg

And now laying those ribs…are you kidding me?

76112B78-4DC8-4B8E-961E-8C9A97B74AEC.jpeg

Will anything fit?…..it’s anyone’s guess, especially mine.

885ACDEA-171D-49EC-B856-838C55F8581B.jpeg

540A82A1-6175-4286-96AB-4DB3ECB1E49A.jpeg

This is not the Nina, Pinta, & Santa Maria. This is an attempt to assemble something 3” long with parts that will break into pieces and leave you with the desire to throw these little ba$tard$ against the wall.
Regroup….focus on one at a time, that is my advice!

88F4FE70-FB53-4527-851F-E6A1B314E43F.jpeg

I resorted to my heat gun to bend the planks….used alligator clips and pushed the tip of the heat gun right onto the planks….at around 250-275 degrees.

C61168B8-E94E-431B-810A-A6CE37AE2F5D.jpeg
6332FE5F-9FDE-4987-BC4A-A0D18A1DA5F7.jpeg
F0134F48-88E0-45DA-8CBD-320E315E807F.jpeg

Gluing down the planks and using clips…

46413E3F-E8EA-4461-A2B1-B563322AD82C.jpeg
E6F163F2-F3E4-418E-974D-FA2C7B18D4F1.jpeg

One side of the hull done….smeared a bit of water-downed wood dough and worked the opposite side.
FDE2D832-E056-40BC-808E-C3A4534AD5B1.jpeg
BB50400E-82EE-49BB-A20B-E406D291F4F8.jpeg

What about that nasty rudder?…..trying to bend the metal bands without breaking them….lucky I saved all the scrap metal so I could make my own.

52D1FB94-7143-4C97-AC6B-B9E2FC229C77.jpeg

OK, attach the rudder and finish all the painting!

3A04A46E-2AE9-4F2A-B0D6-96C39E2DC39F.jpeg
72249A89-4369-4F42-80AA-5B3D6014D49A.jpeg

Added some rope and oars! The 1st of three, finally done!

81942C00-6CBE-4269-996A-4526B22BA7AA.jpeg

That’s it for now mates….Ahoy all.
Rick

4DB45B38-2FBD-43E9-A874-68860AE568A3.jpeg

I can see you've been busy since I saw your last post. Odd job will be more helpful than the instructions just watch out when he takes off his hat.
Nice anchors and the decoration look good. I haven't heard anyone say anything good about the ships boats. Nearly impossible to build without breaking anything but suprisingly strong when finished, except for the rudder. I should have built mine with the rudder stored in the boat as I keep breaking the tiller. Keep up the good work

Captain’s Log (2)…….October 12, 2021

Build guidelines: I kept looking at all those metal ornaments and decorations in the ship’s kit and decided to paint some of them up and work on the stern some. I started with a base coat of white acrylic…and then toned it down some with a wash of brown acrylic…then accented with a touch of gold. Matched up to the figurehead on the bowspirit! Here are some pics:

View attachment 261930View attachment 261931View attachment 261932

I added a touch of color (red) to the deck by painting the statues leading into the Captain’s Cabin. I made a mistake by not setting the gas lamps further away from the doors so I found a couple of wooden beads and used them for the bases. Added a bit of gold accent. Also, added the accent rope to the main and fore masts, and lightly stained the masts….which are not permanently set at this stage.

View attachment 261933

For those of you mates that have followed my build from the beginning, you know that I want my finished model to be a conversation piece and not a static hunk of wood on a base. So, rather than plank the port side closed, I decided to keep the side of the hull open/closed by making the panel removable.

View attachment 261934View attachment 261935

On the Starboard side of the ship, I decided to not run the Whales plank over the open hull where it wasn’t necessary, only up to where the hull ends. For my two cents, this allows a better view into the Captain’s Quarters and the gun deck.

View attachment 261937
View attachment 261938
View attachment 261939
View attachment 261940

In my next log, I’ll detail the fun I had trying to build the three rowboats…peek below to see the one I finished on the left. I’ll do my best to walk you through this cursed event I. The next Log.

View attachment 261936

Ahoy all,
Rick

The model is coming a long nicely Rick.
Can you show a side view of the starboard side where you cut the whales.
Just want to see this turned out as I might try it on my build.

Also like the idea of the makeshift door on the port side.
Being able to remove that as needed for viewing works for me, it also lets in more light later on when the LEDS go belly up.

Being able to remove that as needed for viewing works for me, it also lets in more light later on when the LEDS go belly up.
Good idea.

I have just completed the ZHL Black Pearl. I just want to say that regardless of all the negative words people say about ZHL, this was by far the best quality model I have ever built. The walnut was the hardest, tight-grained wood I have ever seen in any other model. The detail was incredible. I ordered the third pole to finish it off. I was so impressed with the Black Pearl that I just ordered the Mayflower which looks like it will be just as satisfying as the Pearl.
I was getting bored and losing motivation with the European kits to the point that I put the Mamoli HMS Bounty on indefinite hold. I doubt I will go back to the European kits anytime soon.
I guess I will start a build log for the Mayflower when I start it in a month or so.
If anyone has any questions on how I did anything with the Pearl build, ask away!

0140.jpg0143.jpg0145a.jpg0146.jpg0157.jpg0168.jpg

I have just completed the ZHL Black Pearl. I just want to say that regardless of all the negative words people say about ZHL, this was by far the best quality model I have ever built. The walnut was the hardest, tight grained wood I have ever seen in any other model. The detail was incredible. I ordered the third pole to finish it off. I was so impressed with the Black Pearl that I just ordered the Mayflower which looks like it will be just as satisfying as the Pearl.
I was getting bored and losing motivation with the European kits to the point that I put the Mamoli HMS Bounty on indefinite hold. I doubt I will go back to the European kits anytime soon.
I guess I will start a build log for the Mayflower when I start it in a month or so.
If anyone has any questions on how I did anything with the Pearl build, ask away!
Looks good.

I have just completed the ZHL Black Pearl. I just want to say that regardless of all the negative words people say about ZHL, this was by far the best quality model I have ever built. The walnut was the hardest, tight grained wood I have ever seen in any other model. The detail was incredible. I ordered the third pole to finish it off. I was so impressed with the Black Pearl that I just ordered the Mayflower which looks like it will be just as satisfying as the Pearl.
Great lookin’ Pearl! I’m jealous! If ZHL sharpened up their manuals with clearer English, pics and explanations, then I believe they would have some of the best products for the money!

Great lookin’ Pearl! I’m jealous! If ZHL sharpened up their manuals with clearer English, pics and explanations, then I believe they would have some of the best products for the money!
Thanks. It's my baby! The Pearl instructions were in English, although sometimes poorly translated. It didn't present a problem though. If anything, it added to the challenge of the build.

Hi Rowboat….thanks for the words of encouragement. This is my first ship build and I have learned a lot. I’ll have to really study up on the rigging before I attempt that work….I’m closing in on working on the gun hatches and then a few odds and ends and then it will be deadeye time.

In regard to how I did my whales on the Starboard side…..I would say pretty much like Jodie and Vic on their ships. I counted down (4) full planks to the opening. I ran my whales on the 5th plank line. The only difference for me was I ran it only as far as the plank holding the deadeyes, instead of all the way across the opening. The upper whale didn‘t require any more planking, and as the pic shows, it gave me a full layer more visibility to look into the Captain’s Cabin, and in my case, also a bit easier for fat fingers to turn off/on the two switches I installed On the beams of the Cabin!

0B72168F-512D-41DA-851F-5FC3678274CB.jpeg678C0E49-AD1B-4B15-BB19-F28E2EBC05D7.jpegDD0EBAEA-96F0-4672-B3C7-5DBBA3D4173E.jpeg
Ahoy Rowboat!

Thanks. It's my baby! The Pearl instructions were in English, although sometimes poorly translated. It didn't present a problem though. If anything, it added to the challenge of the build.
It sure did add to the challlenge….especially when yellow ink was used for my 67 year old eyes to discern.:D:D:D

Sorry, A fast interruption in this building log, but I would like to send a short warm welcome on our forum to @Aantaug
I can fully agree with your words about the quality of most of the chinese kits
and also I would be very happy to see your building log of your Mayflower here in our forum - would be great
Now back to the main topic.......
BTW: maybe you could show your finished model of the Black Pearl in this area?

Sorry, A fast interruption in this building log, but I would like to send a short warm welcome on our forum to @Aantaug
I can fully agree with your words about the quality of most of the chinese kits
and also I would be very happy to see your building log of your Mayflower here in our forum - would be great
Now back to the main topic.......
BTW: maybe you could show your finished model of the Black Pearl in this area?
All OK matey…..anyone can say whatever they feel on this thread…..it’s a Pirate’s Republic and we’re all equal! ThumbsupThumbsup

Captain’s Log (3)…….October 12, 2021

Build guidelines: I was not looking forward to this part of the build. I had a hard enough time with the planking on the main ship. To think I had to plank three tiny rowboats…..I like Jodies’s idea of using masking tape, went to the garage and still had some black tape. The Admiral shut that plan down.ROTF;)ROTF There wasn’t enough rum in the house to get me through this….but I struggled to manage locating the parts and here’s what happened.

Rowboats:

Laying those first three keel pieces brought back clenched teeth and a stiff spine.

View attachment 261942

And now laying those ribs…are you kidding me?

View attachment 261943

Will anything fit?…..it’s anyone’s guess, especially mine.

View attachment 261946

View attachment 261947

This is not the Nina, Pinta, & Santa Maria. This is an attempt to assemble something 3” long with parts that will break into pieces and leave you with the desire to throw these little ba$tard$ against the wall.
Regroup….focus on one at a time, that is my advice!

View attachment 261949

I resorted to my heat gun to bend the planks….used alligator clips and pushed the tip of the heat gun right onto the planks….at around 250-275 degrees.

View attachment 261951
View attachment 261952
View attachment 261955

Gluing down the planks and using clips…

View attachment 261958
View attachment 261957

One side of the hull done….smeared a bit of water-downed wood dough and worked the opposite side.
View attachment 261956
View attachment 261950

What about that nasty rudder?…..trying to bend the metal bands without breaking them….lucky I saved all the scrap metal so I could make my own.

View attachment 261959

OK, attach the rudder and finish all the painting!

View attachment 261960
View attachment 261961

Added some rope and oars! The 1st of three, finally done!

View attachment 261962

That’s it for now mates….Ahoy all.
Rick
Nice tutorial Thumbsup

Hi Mates!

Never fear….this Captain is still around! So busy since my last early October Log! I decided to take a break through the Holiday Season…plans to start up again in early January until spring and see how far we get! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

1E4EDC86-63E1-4977-A9DB-31444A18B014.jpegF0A0DFC6-C89D-48E3-A32A-40984F97F8D4.jpeg

Are you working on a Constitution too?
Yeah, Vic….I finished the standing rigging on that ship as I worked on it off and on during the build of the Pearl! I lost motivation with that ship because I wanted to leave the plastic behind and try a real wooden ship build.…so, I will complete that one down the road! All good retirement therapy as long as the good Lord keeps me around!

Yeah, Vic….I finished the standing rigging on that ship as I worked on it off and on during the build of the Pearl! I lost motivation with that ship because I wanted to leave the plastic behind and try a real wooden ship build.…so, I will complete that one down the road! All good retirement therapy as long as the good Lord keeps me around!
That was my first build, Rick! I did the Billing Boats wooden Connie. I stopped working on it to build the Pearl and then went back to finish it. It’s probably the prettiest ship I have, even if it’s not that accurate historically.

Hi Rick good to hear from you, been missing all the pirate storys. Looking forward to seeing the continuation of your build next year, all the best for Christmas and a happy new year.
Right back at you Tony, Merry Christmas! Yeah, the break is long needed….so many other things to attend to, ha! I’ll be starting up again for the winter after the New Year….also have the San Felipe on the shelf….ha!

Back