Black Pearl 1:50 ZHL

I should have been more clear. The LED's are fine. It's the silly Christmas tree light controller board that is the problem. It does about 20 different light patters at different speeds and intensities, times three different circuits. There is no readout on it; so if it gets off of the setting for everything being turned on it takes forever to get it back to everything on solid. Starting with pushing buttons over and over with no apparent response from the lights. I spent about 15 minutes last night going through the settings and was able to get one section of lights to flash and do about 20 different patterns, but the other 2 sections wouldn't come on. When this happens you have no idea if it's just the setting you're on or if there is a problem with the wiring.

After I posted last night, I connected the ship to the lighting circuit on my train layout and turned it on with the computer, the led's work fine I just need to get rid of the Christmas light controller.

Vic - my next project will most likely be an RC Airplane built from dollar store foam board. I really want to take a shot at an F14 with functional sweeping wings or an Osprey. Might never get it to work, but when it smashes into the ground I won't have to wonder if the problem is just an electrical setting; or the fact that there are pieces of it lying all over the place. :D

I haven't done anything with Mike since the Sampan oven I drew up for Heinrich. We did try and produce a full set of deadeyes with strops for the Pearl but there were issues with the brittleness of the materials, basically my heavy handedness was too much for them. They looked incredibly good till I broke them. That might come back to life depending on what Shelk decides to do with his pearl, or if I decide to finish my bomb vessel. I think it's just a materials issue not a design problem, and we can use different materials. We did produce some of the best looking deadeyes I've ever seen. I will definitely be using those on my bomb vessel if I decide to finish it. I'm sure the crew will come up with some other things that need my drafting skills in the near future. Rite now I'm just kind of tired of the long term projects and want something that can be done in a month instead of years. Hopefully I can get the sails done on this in the next couple weeks.

I also have plans for projects for my 3D printer. Been putting that stuff off for a long time.

At any rate should have some more photos by Monday.

I've been steadily moving along but not taking a lot of pictures it's just more of the same. The good news is I'm done with the basic rigging. The bad news is I still have to do the sails and I really feel like throwing this thing in the trash. That won't happen because the admiral wants it finished, but at least I don't have to build another wood sailing ship model in the future. The lights quit working again. I need to pull the crappy electronics ZHL sends with the kit out and toss them; then figure out what to use to trun the lights on transformer wise, and just hard wire them without any controls other than a on off switch.

At any rate here's a few photos I was going to take more but when the lights quit working I just gave up. There are figures on the lower decks now. Here's Jack at the wheel.

View attachment 256475

And a lower overall view.

View attachment 256476

This is up oon the shelf where it usually sits.

View attachment 256477
Jodie, just another shout out that your Pearl looks great! I hope I can get that far….even at where you at without the sails, it’s a great looking piece!

Since my lighting parts were missing is there somewhere I can purchase them, I'm building the less fancy model of black pearl since I have the skeleton and main deck minus the planking done I'm going to finish it by copying your build especially the hull planking this is my first wooden ship I have ever built but I am determined to do a complete build with no matter how long it takes me.

Since my lighting parts were missing is there somewhere I can purchase them, I'm building the less fancy model of black pearl since I have the skeleton and main deck minus the planking done I'm going to finish it by copying your build especially the hull planking this is my first wooden ship I have ever built but I am determined to do a complete build with no matter how long it takes me.
I bought some from evansdesigns.com. They are color-coded and the LEDs are pre-soldered.

I actually didn't get the lamps themselves i have the 3 wired LED's sorry I should have been more clear, I was also wondering best place to buy more hull planking I want to have enough in case I need it.?

You might try agesofsail.com. I got some lumber from them. I also contacted Max Zeng at ZHL. If you bought it from them, he can help you out. Evans Designs also sells wiring. I called them and they walked me through what I needed.

I followed the lead from Vic and Jodie. Evansdesigns supplied all my lighting needs…..switches, wire, LED’s, etc… much better than tprying to solder up the ZHL LED’s….I’ll be getting back to work on my Pearl in a couple weeks….hopefully, finishing up by summertime! Happy New Year mates!

I followed the lead from Vic and Jodie. Evansdesigns supplied all my lighting needs…..switches, wire, LED’s, etc… much better than tprying to solder up the ZHL LED’s….I’ll be getting back to work on my Pearl in a couple weeks….hopefully, finishing up by summertime! Happy New Year mates!
Happy new year, Rick!

Back