Black Pearl - Zhl 1:50 by Rowboat

Back here again ... still hanging in there :)

Built a few things and may have a few questions.

First one: I understand how this block is supposed to be built but not sure how the rope is supposed to run through it. Is it 1 piece or 2 pieces of rope.
I've looked at others post but still am not sure on the rope part.
Thanks on any advice.DSC02586.JPG

DSC02587.JPG

DSC02588.JPG

On a another note: finished the row boats. Rowboats built by "Rowboat" ,,,, sounds nice.
I left one not fully built so "on lookers" could see the skeleton of the rowboat.
I did double planking on the hulls, gave a better finish.
DSC02589.JPGDSC02590.JPGDSC02591.JPG

So that's about it for now ....

Rowboat away ..

Forgot to post these pics.
Basically added the lower deadeyes and cannon hatches.
Didn't glue in the hatches or their hardware, will wait till I get the shrouds completed.
In fact I don't glue stuff to the ship until necessary, in the pics below you can see not much stuff on the deck. I feel this helps in keeping me from breaking stuff and makes running lines easier.

Also sanded down the hull to give the ship a more used appearance. I think it looks better than the all black hull.
DSC02581.JPGDSC02582.JPGDSC02583.JPGDSC02584.JPGDSC02584.JPGDSC02585.JPG

Still spending most of my time on blues guitar, it's starting to pay off.
I played a blues riff over the phone for someone and they said "Hey, that's the blues." Best compliment ever ;)

Forgot to post these pics.
Basically added the lower deadeyes and cannon hatches.
Didn't glue in the hatches or their hardware, will wait till I get the shrouds completed.
In fact I don't glue stuff to the ship until necessary, in the pics below you can see not much stuff on the deck. I feel this helps in keeping me from breaking stuff and makes running lines easier.

Also sanded down the hull to give the ship a more used appearance. I think it looks better than the all black hull.
View attachment 360675View attachment 360676View attachment 360677View attachment 360678View attachment 360678View attachment 360679

Still spending most of my time on blues guitar, it's starting to pay off.
I played a blues riff over the phone for someone and they said "Hey, that's the blues." Best compliment ever ;)
I’m glad you’re back at it, Rowboat! I believe that’s the block that hangs from the cathead. I think I rigged one right and the other wrong. When I get home later today, I’ll look up the rigging process for that block (unless @DARIVS ARCHITECTVS beats me to it). Also, those little boats drove me nuts! I had to cannibalize one of the boats’ parts to make up for broken bits on the others.

Hi Rowboat! I decided to not rig my anchors or install the three rear lanterns because I wanted to wait until I got the masts up and some rigging! Figured my burly hands would just keep knocking into the anchors and the lamps! I did complete one of the blocks so far for one of the anchors but have not rigged it up! Seems like. Vic has given us some good illustrations

Last edited:
I guess my name is Ic now. It’s probably appropriate since my kids respond to my dad jokes with, “Ick!” (That’s “igitt” in German.)

Hi Rowboat! I decided to not rig my anchors or install the three rear lanterns because I wanted to wait until I got the masts up and some rigging! Figured my burly hands would just keep knocking into the anchors and the lamps! I did complete one of the blocks so far for one of the anchors but have not rigged it up! Seems like. Vic has given us some good illustrations
Sounds like we're in the same boat when it comes to this, pun intended.
I haven't installed anchors nor rear lamps .... but my masts are now up. I guess that's evident from the pictures. :rolleyes:

Good choice in waiting on the lanterns and anchors. The anchors can readily wait until near the end and the lanterns are quite delicate and easily damaged while doing just about any step the build.

Back with and update.

It's been a while but making progress slowly.

Here are pics of the current state of the ship.
Initially I was planning to roll up the all the sails onto their yards ....

As one can see I have added more running rigging than the plans call for.
I like the look better although it took quite a while to figure out where the rigging would go.
DSC02595.JPG

DSC02596.JPG

DSC02597.JPG

also I still don't have any of the decking furnishings installed.

There were also a few standing rigging lines I have not attached yet.

I did have to add some belaying pins in places not called out in the plans.

More to come....

Rowboat

Love it! What things are you putting on the deck? Will the rigging be in the way? Are you rolling up the jib sails and the one between the masts as well?
Good to chat with you again ...

The jib sails and the one in the center will stay opened. Things going on deck captain wheel, rowboats, a stand and other stuff ...

Will these fit with all those riggings. .. probably not everything.

Good to chat with you again ...

The jib sails and the one in the center will stay opened. Things going on deck captain wheel, rowboats, a stand and other stuff ...

Will these fit with all those riggings. .. probably not everything.
That stand was fiddly. The legs broke several times and I wound up chopping them off.

Back