Black Pearl - Zhl 1:50 by Vfordyce [COMPLETED BUILD]

Vic, I think your sewing work on the sails is excellent. The block, hook and eye look great! I started my build. Can't even imagine accomplishing what you have already.
Mine would have been better had I aid more attention to the 4 big plans as I went along. I was in a bit of a rush. I've slowed down considerably and done more research. Belaying lines is a challenge. I think I have it down a lot better now. When you get to the rigging, PM me if you want some tips. Or any time for that matter, if you don't want to do it in this forum. And thanks for the kudos. It's very encouraging. BTW, are you starting a build log?
Vic

Mine would have been better had I aid more attention to the 4 big plans as I went along. I was in a bit of a rush. I've slowed down considerably and done more research. Belaying lines is a challenge. I think I have it down a lot better now. When you get to the rigging, PM me if you want some tips. Or any time for that matter, if you don't want to do it in this forum. And thanks for the kudos. It's very encouraging. BTW, are you starting a build log?
Vic
Hi Vic...yes, I started my build log....under Ahoy All. I'll stay in touch for sure and keep up with your build. I have learned so much from you and some of the other guys like Jodie and Tony.

Hi Vic Glad to see your progress it's coming on fine. I'm making notes for when I get to that stage but not looking forward to it, maybe I'll make mine in the Admiralty style with cut down masts I don't know if that's been done before. LOL
Tony

Hi Vic Glad to see your progress it's coming on fine. I'm making notes for when I get to that stage but not looking forward to it, maybe I'll make mine in the Admiralty style with cut down masts I don't know if that's been done before. LOL
Tony
I think that would be the “Pole 2” version of the All-Scenario Version. I thought about it, but it looked a bit undone to me and wouldn’t have the billowing sails that my friend desires. I’m almost ready for pictures showing the finished product. I think it will be worth the extra effort to have full masts and sails. BTW, you’re doing a great job. You have some fine skills. All I have is persistence

First jib done. I looped the rings over the stay and tied them under the stay with a triple knot. The wavy line is a type of halyard to haul the jib down. image.jpg
The jib is hauled up by the use of two blocks with hooks and the halyard is belayed to a bit on the foc’sle.
image.jpg
The rear loop of the jib is secured on the starboard side to a rail and the other end of the line loops over a stay and is attached to a block with part of the line going through to attach to the foc’sle and the other end to a pin on the bit. image.jpg
And the final look. image.jpg

Vic, I’ll save this pic to my BP file! No way will I be able to accomplish this level of detail! You are a true inspiration to motivate me, but I have to recognize my limitations.Ha! Can’t wait to see your pics fully rigged. My Pole 3 is still somewhere in transit!
Actually, Rick, this part is easier than planking or lighting. Just do the research and take your time. I'm not that good at it yet since this is my first ship to complete, but I'm learning. Looks like to me you have the space and the materials. And you're thinking ahead. So I think you'll do fine with a little perseverance. AND...you've got plenty of help.

Actually, Rick, this part is easier than planking or lighting. Just do the research and take your time. I'm not that good at it yet since this is my first ship to complete, but I'm learning. Looks like to me you have the space and the materials. And you're thinking ahead. So I think you'll do fine with a little perseverance. AND...you've got plenty of help.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Vic. Just glued in the lower deck this morning. I must have 40lbs of whatever I could grab...bricks, weights, gal of deck stain....lol. damn thing brittle and curled like a potato chip. I was patient and wiggled everything in and tried to level off....now, we'll see tomorrow morning if I have a flat deck.

Last edited:
I think that would be the “Pole 2” version of the All-Scenario Version. I thought about it, but it looked a bit undone to me and wouldn’t have the billowing sails that my friend desires. I’m almost ready for pictures showing the finished product. I think it will be worth the extra effort to have full masts and sails. BTW, you’re doing a great job. You have some fine skills. All I have is persistence
I'm not seriously considering not rigging the ship unless it goes completely pear shaped. One of the reasons why I started this model was to learn what my weak points are, the more I do the better I should get. I know that if I started again from the beginning things would be done differently and better hopefully.

Back