Black Pearl - Zhl 1:50 by Vfordyce [COMPLETED BUILD]

My first square sail on this beast! What a pain! I destroyed four riggings during its construction. Nothing was lining up. What a tangled web we weave. I’m glad I didn’t go with the advanced rigging with clew lines, etc. That’s for my nextView attachment 213756View attachment 213757View attachment 213758 ship.
My favorite part is when things pop out of the deck as your rigging, NOT!!! I especially love it when my finger or ring catches a line and rips it out. o_O :mad:

My favorite part is when things pop out of the deck as your rigging, NOT!!! I especially love it when my finger or ring catches a line and rips it out. o_O :mad:
Been there, done that! Or the line you are rigging catches on a gun port cover and rips it off or uproots previously rigged guns. Or maybe I mis-measured and had to rip it all out again because of my own stupidity. When I was in Navigator school, they told us that the art and science of navigation was akin to measuring with a micrometer, marking it with a grease pencil, and cutting it with a blunt ax. Reminds me of how I am working on this ship because of my lack of capability. My planning and ambition exceed my capacity to perform. They say practice makes perfect. At this rate, with enough practice, I'll become a perfect klutz!

I wound up having to drill bigger holes in the blocks. The predrilled ones were too small for the thread. I then noticed that plan 3 and plan 4 for the rigging showed two different sized blocks for the same spot. I used my noggin to decide bigger blocks for the course sails and smaller blocks for the upper ones. 922DD699-A7DD-4733-8B89-4DE86DF67B84.jpeg874738C9-B34A-4207-8BB0-113D9A4994FD.jpegDC468AC4-3995-47BC-B449-A6DE02F2D55A.jpeg

Been there, done that! Or the line you are rigging catches on a gun port cover and rips it off or uproots previously rigged guns. Or maybe I mis-measured and had to rip it all out again because of my own stupidity. When I was in Navigator school, they told us that the art and science of navigation was akin to measuring with a micrometer, marking it with a grease pencil, and cutting it with a blunt ax. Reminds me of how I am working on this ship because of my lack of capability. My planning and ambition exceed my capacity to perform. They say practice makes perfect. At this rate, with enough practice, I'll become a perfect klutz!
My personal favorite is when there are so many lines in an area that your loose depth perception and snip of a difficult to tie line when trying to trim off the end of another line.

As you can see from the above picture, I placed spots of glue on the reefers to keep them in place after I tied off the back side of the small lines on the sail with double knots. I don't like the fact that I can still see the glue spots. On my next sail, I'll use the double knot in the back and stitch a knot in the front to avoid the glue spot. I've done that with my top sail on the main mast, and it looks better. I will chronicle the entire process of sail making for my next sail. Welcome aboard, @Tony H

As you can see from the above picture, I placed spots of glue on the reefers to keep them in place after I tied off the back side of the small lines on the sail with double knots. I don't like the fact that I can still see the glue spots. On my next sail, I'll use the double knot in the back and stitch a knot in the front to avoid the glue spot. I've done that with my top sail on the main mast, and it looks better. I will chronicle the entire process of sail making for my next sail. Welcome aboard, @Tony H
Hi thanks for the welcome the closer I get to starting my rigging the more I dread it, my rigging plan is not very clear at least I'll have a couple of months before I start. Just curious as to why you are rigging the sails from the aft, most builds I see are done the other way around. Keep up the good work.
Tony

Hi thanks for the welcome the closer I get to starting my rigging the more I dread it, my rigging plan is not very clear at least I'll have a couple of months before I start. Just curious as to why you are rigging the sails from the aft, most builds I see are done the other way around. Keep up the good work.
Tony
Great question! I started rigging my Connie from the front, and it got complicated fast. In some ways, the mizzenmast is simpler. Plus I have never done a lateen sail before so I wanted to work on it right after I had finished researching it. Another thought was that the mizzenmast wasn’t quite as visible as the fore or main mast so if I made some mistakes on it, I could probably either recover or hide them. Finally, I was already familiar with making square sails on my Connie so I didn’t foresee any big problems. Also, some experienced builders suggested starting from the rear or the middle. In other words, as a friend once said, “Builder’s choice!” BTW, I love your rudder!

I used a drill to taper the yards. Just put one end in the chuck, put on a left handed work glove, and run sandpaper from the middle to the tip, squeezing evermore harder as you get to the tip. I tried squeezing hard coming back toward the middle once, but the strain was too great on the yard, and it snapped at the chuck. I’m glad ZHL gave me extra dowels. 124D0570-6F6C-4C9F-99EB-F82AD6E3C13D.jpeg

Back