Bluejacket Shipworks Lobster Boat 5/8” = 1’

I very nice and clean deck. Is it comes with a kit prefabricated or you have to glue individual planks together?

The kit had very plain pieces for the deck and sides. I ordered the prefab planked pieces I’m using from the kit manufacturer.

http://www.bluejacketinc.com/

They have a wide variety of pre glued or scribed planking, you can find the wood products under the “Fittings” tab. Their service is great.

More work on the hull:

With the deck glued in place it was time to add and trim the sheer planks. The sheer planks need to be trimmed even with the deck after they were glued.

IMG_0862.JPG

7ICihoYhQeOV%q5zGtCFaw.jpg

The next step was to fit and glue the transom in place

pGAurXFvQ1K6qY%NOOuEfw.jpg

I was pleased with the transom fit. There was very little sanding required.

Last edited:
Cabin and Pilot house:

The build instructions are a bit confusing for this part, They are not very clear where to start and seem to skip over some steps.

dbQs3wcqRUCCwbBseuOcSQ.jpg

I did note that in one of the example pictures that a 1/8 X 1/8 in strip needs to added to both sides of Frame #4. A dry fit of the cabin side made the need for this strip obvious. The cabin side fits on the outside of the 1/8 X 1/8 in strip added to deck to to frame the Cockpit/Sole.

.0%iXI+yLTqm5JJzRypoWyw.jpg

I now need to figure out how to "bend" the cabin pieces.

fullsizeoutput_19a.jpeg

They are 1/16 in basswood. and need to follow the curve of the deck between frame #3 and frame#4.

UBXA11KwSiWOwWFGW9iPTw.jpg

Last edited:
Back to the last of the “stern” work.

The top deck at the stern needed seven “chafing strips” installed.

FD3882FE-DA82-4CC6-A6A0-D832561AD6EA.jpeg

The center “chafing strip” is installed over the seam of the two deck halves, the rest of the strips are installed equally spaced from the center strip to port and s’board sides.

The masking tape will protect the cockpit floor and cockpit sides against the first and second priming paint coats.

Cabin and Pilot house continued:

Installing the side panels of the cabin and pilot house seemed to present a problem. The basswood pieces needed a slight curve/bend to allow them to fit and follow the contour of the deck. I spent some time trying to figure out how to do that.

The s’board side.

23FB7BC8-4401-44DF-A632-CCC41D1FAFB8.jpeg

The Port side

671957B8-7374-405D-9109-455748878FD9.jpeg

I soaked the pieces in hot water for about thirty minutes then laid them into the top pieces of the jig that I had made to bend the planks on my Enterprise build. A few passes with the hot barrel of a small soldering iron and it was mission accomplished.

Painting:

St41Azd2S26iy50I8KNx7g.jpgOwRQICKwQrWmyS44pN27Bg.jpg

I had a bit of trouble getting the waterline right. It took a few tries until I was satisfied that the line on both sides of the hull matched.

I've spent the last couple of days painting the hull and just added the second coat of "British Crimson" to the bottom.

I had to invent some clamps to hold the pieces of the cabin and pilot house together to get an idea of the it's final shape. The black spring clips I've been using don't work very well to hold small edges. I remembered reading about the clothespin clamps years ago. So while the Admiral was busy I pinched a few clothespins.

fullsizeoutput_1a3.jpegvUM+eyndTiurJVNO2oIcvw.jpg

The pieces that need to be held while they are glued are 1/16 X 1/16 X 5 inches and will be the support for the three rafters that hold up the pilot house roof.

fullsizeoutput_1a9.jpeg

Last edited:
Hmm wet rainy day here.

After Wednesdays snow storm which was combination snow, sleet, freezing rain and fine hail, we now have rain.
A good excuse for working in the boatyard. I was hoping to finish painting the hull today but the damp and chilly weather cancelled that. I try to paint outside to eliminate the complaints of the paint smell.

So today I'm working on the Pilot House and Cabin. The rafters and Pilot house sides have been glued and the combination fitted on the hull.

ApktAXbMSRutKyedjaeYXA.jpg

Post #54 shows a drawing of the roof construction detail. I deviated from the instructions and added pieces of 1/16 X 1/8in between the rafters to hold them square. That addition also provides more surface for when the roof gets installed.

YPWBBMfNT8KvLkXATFJ3kA.jpg

The cabin walls are also a problem. They need to be bend quite a bit to fit the contour of the deck.

fullsizeoutput_1ad.jpeg

I also added a piece of 1/16 X 1/8 in at the top of the cabin wall, that was the result of the 1/16 in ply of the cabin wall breaking when I applied to much pressure to hold it in place.

The fiddle time consuming stuff.

Both the S’board and Port side ends of the cabin/pilot house weren’t perpendicular to hull when I installed them. They looked a little bowed. I glued a piece of 1/8 brass rod to those ends to eliminate the the slight curve. The area on the left shows where I used wood filler to fill in the small gaps left by the fix. The right side has been filled, sanded and primed

BF27DFEA-DDF6-4AC0-83C4-28DF50B367C8.jpeg

A little more sanding, filling and priming and the cabin/pilot house will be done.

CB8A2421-1F1C-49D4-B0A7-11177BA05659.jpeg71D4D3F5-78F3-493C-860A-0F9B310C805C.jpeg

Dry Fit of Roofs:

The pilot house and cabin roofs have been painted and I did a quick dry fit to see how much trimming would be required. I have yet to install the window "glazing". I'm researching the best "glue" to use for that part of the build. Once the windows are "in", I can then permanently fasten the cabin roof. The Pilot house roof will have to wait until I finish more of the interior and add windshield, the exhaust pipe, steering wheel, throttles etc.

gBY3mQOLRJaoBsNajV41Vw.jpg

Back