Bluejacket Tug Sequin 1/4” scale

Your tug Boat is amazing, Jan. I can only hope to do so well with my lobster boat.
My workshop is getting less usable every week as we prepare for our move to Wisconsin, but that doesn't stop me from thinking & planning.
Happy Modeling.
Steven

Your tug Boat is amazing, Jan. I can only hope to do so well with my lobster boat.
My workshop is getting less usable every week as we prepare for our move to Wisconsin, but that doesn't stop me from thinking & planning.
Happy Modeling.
Steven
("Thinking and Planning") is the best part of this hobby. Putzing on builds #5 (the Willem B) and #6 ( the San Bartolome Galleon) I've learned not to fear re-do's or add a change that I've thought about. It's a hobby that I've learned to enjoy.

Jan

Garboard planks:

Both garboard planks have been glued in place.

View attachment 109165View attachment 109166

I had placed them on the hull while wet to shape them. Once dry I glued them in place. There was a small amount of shrinkage as they dried out resulting in splits at the stern. Those areas were fixed by adding small stealers.

Jan
Jan I am also in the process of building the Bluejacket Sequin and have a question for you. I'm having trouble fitting the garboards onto the kiel & frames. I soaked both garboards for a couple of days so they are pretty flexible at this point. I also scored them as shown on the plans. Did you have to cut & sand each one in order to have them fit properly ? Thank you for help in this matter.

Jan I am also in the process of building the Bluejacket Sequin and have a question for you. I'm having trouble fitting the garboards onto the kiel & frames. I soaked both garboards for a couple of days so they are pretty flexible at this point. I also scored them as shown on the plans. Did you have to cut & sand each one in order to have them fit properly ? Thank you for help in this matter.
If memory serves, I clamped the garboards to the hull frame while they were soaking wet. The fit was fairly good and I didn't have to "force" them to follow the lines of the hull. I did have to add a "small" stealer at the stern to fill in a split when the garboards dried. Eventually I used PVA and sanding dust to fill in any small voids.

Jan

Jan, The vice you used to hold the Sequin during your build, where did you buy it ? Not the Dremel vice but the other one .

Planking about 2/3 complete on my Tug, Seguin, 1/4 scale.
I was shy on starting planking, looking like a daunting task. Once started, it became easier and easier, building confidence.
I've now experienced tapering the planks, fore and aft, and planning the remaining planks.
Tapering was done with a mini razor plane that gives control to avoid over planing.

Back