Bluejacket Tug Sequin 1/4” scale

Hi Jan. She is absolutely beautiful, For a tug the lines are surprisingly sleek and your colour choice accentuates that even more. What really impresses me is how integrated the whole build is. Sometimes there is always "that one part" that looks like it is an add on, but here it is not the case at all. And then - seriously - I am jealous of that rooster. Other ships have a cat as ship animal, but I just love the rooster. My landlord has a rooster which parades up and down in front of my kitchen window, Whenever I go outside to do some spray work, he seems to take a keen interest ...

Hi Jan. She is absolutely beautiful, For a tug the lines are surprisingly sleek and your colour choice accentuates that even more. What really impresses me is how integrated the whole build is. Sometimes there is always "that one part" that looks like it is an add on, but here it is not the case at all. And then - seriously - I am jealous of that rooster. Other ships have a cat as ship animal, but I just love the rooster. My landlord has a rooster which parades up and down in front of my kitchen window, Whenever I go outside to do some spray work, he seems to take a keen interest ...
Heinrich,

Thank you for interest and comments. I’ve taken a lot of “liberties” with this build. I think I managed to give the tug it’s own personality.

Your rooster sounds very interesting.

Jan

The Lifeboat:

The lifeboat kit came today. I think I’ll have better results building it than attempting to carve the wood block supplied with the tug kit.

9E8A1919-6CDC-482E-9C33-483CABE88655.jpeg

My last carving experience was a complete disaster. Hopefully I won’t need any bandages to complete this little kit.

646210BC-A91E-4A29-8B54-F25C9FB697F8.jpeg

Jan

Heinrich,
That's amusing, looks like my lifeboat is going to be a longboat.

077CD861-87FF-436B-8BAC-E58920B1D10A.jpeg

The kit looks like an interesting build. I was looking for a small boat between 90 and 100mm, this one is 95mm. I really only wanted an outside shell since the top was going to be covered in "canvas". But this kit looks interesting enough to be displayed on the tug deckhouse.

Jan

It's a gotcha!!!

Uwe has said it over and over, "measure once, measure twice and measure again".

1A6CCF35-6F24-4739-BFB4-3B93A1A432E0.jpeg

Working from the instructions I laid out the jig to hold the hull formers. I'm glad everything on the jig is dry fitted. Because the spacing between the keel slots and the hull formers is off a wee little bit. The spacing on the keel is about 18mm between formers whereas the jigs spacing is 25mm between formers. The keel assembly has to fit on the formers keel bottom up.

So there will be a slight do over in the morning:)

Jan

What a wonderful build that tug is, the colors came out nicely.

The chicken on top is a nice touch :)

Can't believe you have almost completed another build. I probably have at least 8 or 9 months to go on mine :(

My dad used to captain a tugboat out of Texas, I spent a summer or two helping out.
Mainly moved barges to docks for loading and unloading, assisted in some ship dockings once in awhile.

That tug looked nothing like yours, lol.

What a wonderful build that tug is, the colors came out nicely.

The chicken on top is a nice touch :)

Can't believe you have almost completed another build. I probably have at least 8 or 9 months to go on mine :(

My dad used to captain a tugboat out of Texas, I spent a summer or two helping out.
Mainly moved barges to docks for loading and unloading, assisted in some ship dockings once in awhile.

That tug looked nothing like yours, lol.
Glad you like my interpretation of the tug kit. I used the kit as therapy from some of my other projects.

Jan

BTW: Late night fishing last Friday.

Managed to catch two Bass. Had to release both. One was under the limit of 25 to 35 inches, the other was 7 inches over. But nonetheless I had great time.

Jan

Lifenboat update:

I finished the lifeboat. I didn't build the entire lifeboat kit as I only wanted the outline. I used a piece of
silkscreen left over from a former RC airplane build to simulate a canvas cover for the lifeboat.

F5467086-5627-405E-A1E5-38B2177676EE.jpeg

Only thing left is to "invent" a display platform.

Jan

Back