Bluejacket Tug Sequin 1/4” scale

No need to resist the temptation :). It looks great, Jan - I just love the cock!

No need to resist the temptation :). It looks great, Jan - I just love the cock!
Heinrich,

Thank you for the kudos. It’s a great kit and I thought it would be beyond my abilities. It’s fun to be able to modify and customize parts of the build. The Rooster on the Pilot house is part of the “Old Salt Superstition”.
Old Salt Tattoos

Jan

Last edited:
A very rustic life like model, she really looks fantastic, just like the real thing, wait a minute, she is the real thing, you have done a superb job,

Best regards John,
John,

Thanks for following my build. Your comments and encouragement mean a lot to a “novice“ builder like me.

Jan

Another "how do it":

The guard rails on the Deckhouse roof need seventeen stanchions. I needed to cut the supplied 1.5mm brass tubing into 20mm sections and then add a brass eye pin to each piece. Not to bad a problem to solve. I used a mini miter box and razor saw to cut the pieces to length, drilled seventeen 1.7mm holes in a piece of scrap for a sort of "jig". I placed the cut pieces in my "jig" and started to insert the Brass eye pins. Aha, a small problem cropped up. The process of cutting the brass tube closed off the holes for inserting the eye pin. Every tube had to be slightly reamed out to open up the hole.

So another note in Jan's book of "how to do it".

81881193-9EDC-46A7-BC4D-475159CEF980.jpeg

The completed stanchions, ready to mount on the Deckhouse roof.

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:
Railings:

CCB65D91-7698-4E6F-8F83-34787EFBE83F.jpeg

I bend the railing around a big Bell jar, added the stanchions to the railing and set the stanchions into predrilled holes in the Deckhouse roof. The stanchions were pushed through the roof so a dab of Gorilla Super Glue could added to their bottoms. The stanchions were then pushed back up to be even with the bottom of the roof to get the same height for each of them.

I think this part will pass the three foot test.

Jan

Temporary building hold:

4AB99525-AD03-431D-AE62-AF0A5EDCB46E.jpeg
The Deckhouse, Pilot house, railings, Fore and Aft Bitts are done. I’m waiting for a delivery of more Spring clips so I can finish the bulwarks. The bulwarks are 1/16 X 1/8 inch pieces And need to be build 1/2 inch high. I found to keep the assembly square to the deck the Spring clips were the only thing I had to hold the first piece to the waterway and perpendicular to the deck.

8A2C4108-F46D-4F1C-945A-CC0DCCB8741C.jpeg

I tried to clamp the mahogany strips to the waterway but the rounded edge of the clamp didn’t have enough bite to hold the strip to the waterway. The spring clips in the above picture are holding three of 1/16 X 1/8 inch mahogany strips as a test fit. I decided that the eight spring clips in my tool kit weren’t enough to hold the pieces in line with the deck and curvature of the hull. I figured I needed a spring clip about every half inch to make sure the bulwarks ended up perpendicular to the deck, followed the contour of the hull and did not lean or bow out.

Now we impatiently wait for the mail delivery.

Jan

That looks amazing, Jan! :) I fully agree. Rather wait for the clips that you know will do the job rather than compromise with a "second best" solution.

That looks amazing, Jan! :) I fully agree. Rather wait for the clips that you know will do the job rather than compromise with a "second best" solution.

Heinrich,

It's a great build, I've been able to try different ideas as I progress. I think the fear of making an error is gone, I plug away until I'm satisfied with the result, also I'm not in a hurry to get a build step done.

Jan

The Stern:

The instructions for the stern bulwarks indicate a build up of a few pieces, the waterway, 1/16 x 1/8” Basswood to a 1/2“ height for the bulwarks, another shaped piece (similar to the waterway) on top of the bulwark and then vertical planking with 1/16 X 1/4“ Basswood.

I’m planning on using two pieces of 1/16 X 1/2” material. The inside piece will be Basswood and the outside piece will be Mahogany. The two pieces will be separated by some 1/2” pieces of 1/16 X 1/16“ square Basswood.

The Mahogany in a jig drying.

B53452FC-0171-4D96-8698-C8CC6F5D597A.jpeg

The Basswood piece bend to the right shape.

898E1167-CC51-4EB0-AB90-DFA8CAC49D65.jpeg

The area to be filled in

322861F3-85E5-40F0-95CA-DB2DE65F5BBC.jpeg

I used Mahogany instead of the kit supplied Basswood to build the bulwarks so using Mahogany for the stern bulwarks seemed like a great idea.

Jan

You have been busy, Jan! I think the mahogany and basswood will contrast very nicely with each other and should make for a striking effect.

You have been busy, Jan! I think the mahogany and basswood will contrast very nicely with each other and should make for a striking effect.

Indeed, I thought the stern should get a little more of a work over than what was suggested by the build instructions.

Jan

I am still following your build with a lots of pleasure and taking a lots of notes for when I build mine HO! in a few year:D

Little more detail:

While working on the Fore mast I noticed there weren't any instructions for a mast base, so another quick "fix".

C8F09097-3D71-4B18-9B7D-AA9EDF0403F0.jpeg

A little more filing and sanding and the pieces will blend in. The mast just inserted through the deckhouse roof and into the deck just didn't do it.

81F7D7D4-C0C1-450C-AF12-9E6EDE3ADA5D.jpeg

Jan

Great finishing touches - those make the difference between "acceptable" and a properly finished model.

The Stern:

The instructions for the stern bulwarks indicate a build up of a few pieces, the waterway, 1/16 x 1/8” Basswood to a 1/2“ height for the bulwarks, another shaped piece (similar to the waterway) on top of the bulwark and then vertical planking with 1/16 X 1/4“ Basswood.

I’m planning on using two pieces of 1/16 X 1/2” material. The inside piece will be Basswood and the outside piece will be Mahogany. The two pieces will be separated by some 1/2” pieces of 1/16 X 1/16“ square Basswood.

The Mahogany in a jig drying.

View attachment 160093

The Basswood piece bend to the right shape.

View attachment 160094

The area to be filled in

View attachment 160115

I used Mahogany instead of the kit supplied Basswood to build the bulwarks so using Mahogany for the stern bulwarks seemed like a great idea.

Jan
I am a fan of the contrasting wood color tone.
Was there much difficulty in bending the walnut? Did you soak in water for a day first?

Love the chicken and the black smoke stack.

Back