Bluenose II, 1:75 Artesania-Latina kit build by Dom.

This is my third build of a kit ship and my first build log. Apologies in advance if it is not what people like to see or read. I will try to briefly summarise progress and high-light issues that I have come up against and hopefully, that may prompt some helpful hints from the more experienced crew members.

I decided this was an appropriate build as it is the 100th Anniversary Year of the original Bluenose. I was hoping to buy the Model Shipways version (which most people review highly), but there was no stock in the UK at the time. Instead, I bought the 1:75 Artesania-Latina Bluenose II kit, 22453. I made a start back in February but, as I progressed the build, I was really disappointed with the model. The quality of the fittings is bad, there are many issues with the laser cut parts, no 1:1 drawings or rigging plans and the instructions leave much to be desired. But I started, so I’ll finish! After battling with the first planking, I decided that the best thing to do was to use the kit as a learning exercise and rework it into something a bit better. Fortunately, there is plenty of information on the internet that has helped me to progress the build. Hopefully, at the end, I will have something that I will be happy to put on display.

As a quick run down of the build so far:-
Feb. 2021 -
1. Getting started:-

Framing the hull 1.JPG

2. Setting the bulk heads and laying out the decking.
I glued the deck pieces to some wax free tracing paper using the false decks as a template and then marked up the planking with pencil lines (I missed that the planks should be nibbed in - next time).

Hull frames and decking.JPG

3. First planking - a lot of issues! Supplied strips were 50mm too short for the longest part of the hull ( I used some spares from my previous build). The keel pieces did not follow the false keel line and had big gaps. I had to make new bow parts rather than try to correct the kit parts. It was a real struggle to stop the upper hull ply pieces from warping (if the bulk heads had had stanchions it would have been much easier to continue the strip planking to form the gunwales).

Hull planking.JPG

March 2021.

4. I found this picture of the hull in the Lunenburg shipyard during its restoration, 2010-2012. It has such a wonderful profile that I immediately decided to ditch the A-L instructions and try to get the model looking like it should.

BN hull.JPG

5. Tidied up the hull as best I could. I am painting the hull to match the actual ship, so I did not bother with the 2nd planking. Skimmed with filler and touched up with stopper paste to flatten minor imperfections. Added the prop tubes and cut the scuppers.

Hull planked.JPG

6. Primed ready for painting (all my sins covered up).

In prime.JPG

7. Hull in paint. I used generic acrylic car paint-spray cans. Upper hull is semi-gloss/satin black. Lower hull is red-oxide. I did mask in the yellow pin stripe that is on the upper hull, but I accidentally damaged the soft paint work and I had to go over with the black again and could not save it. I will add it back at the next stage.

First painting.JPG

April 2021

8. Fitted the bowsprit, false stanchions, decks, rails, rudder, props, deadeye-loops and straps, decorative etched parts and repainted in the yellow stripe.

The brass dead eye loops supplied were too small for the fittings so I made a complete set from 0.7mm Ni/Cr wire. Very tricky to mount them on the hull without damaging the paint work. The deadeyes were dyed ebony as used on the ship. The kit rail stanchions did not look right, so I replaced them with 10mm ones from Caldercraft - much better. The props look out of scale, but I went with what I have.

Painted in the yellow pinstripe again. This was a task I do not want to repeat again any time soon! The pinstripe is 0.5mm wide, so the only way I could do it was to use 0.5mm fine-line masking tape to define where the lines run, butt up two strips of 3mm tape either side of that to give me enough width to then put a strip of 10mm tape on top of that to which I could then attach some masking paper to mask off the rest of the hull. I could then remove the 0.5mm tape to leave a precise gap for painting. 3 passes of white to cover the black and then 3 of yellow - a lot of effort for two stripes - I will be more careful in the future. The ship has undergone several refits over the years and I have used some images from YouTube as a reference for how parts on the deck are painted (
).

Hull 1st fix.JPG

Hull 1st fix 2.JPG

May 2021

9. Deck housings and some deck fittings done. I had several goes at the Dorys. They are still not quite right, but I decided to go with the best ones that I could build.

Deck fittings.JPG

Early June 2021

10. Fitted out the deck - needs a bit more work, but mostly complete.

Hull 2nd  fix.JPGHull 2nd  fix 2.JPG

June to mid- September - House and garden projects!

Mid-September to-date.

11. Masts, booms and gaffs mostly done.
Tapered in the masts, booms and gaffs and added bands, eyelets and pulley blocks. Rigged the main aft boom lift, the haul-outs on the booms and the bridles on the gaffs. The kit came with 10 cheap brass rings for the sail hoops so I ordered some Billing Boats plastic hoop fittings as replacements but they looked totally wrong. I attempted to make some myself, but that was completely hopeless! If anyone knows how to make nice hoops, please let me know. Fortunately, I found some laser cut pear-wood mast hoops from Vanguard Models in the UK. Very high quality and varnished up they look just like the hoops fitted to the Bluenose. Very happy with the result, but - ouch - rather on the pricey side! masts booms and gaffs.JPG

hoops.JPG

12. Next up is to start the rigging.
The rigging instructions provided by A-L were rudimentary at best, so they just went into the bin! I have found a number of reference sources, but a really useful site is (https://suburbanshipmodeler.com) which I am using as my main guide in order to rig the model as it should be done (many thanks to the suburban modeller!). With no proper plan, I have used DOMCAD to draw up a 1:1 plan so that I can keep track of what I am doing and approximate the run lengths and where all the lines are tied off. I will refine as I rig each run and reference back to the pictures that I have found. Hopefully, I will rig the model better than my drawing!

rigging  CAD.JPG

13. Sails.
I will also have to tackle the sails. There were some pre-sewn sails in the kit, but they are really dreadful quality (picture) - the material is rubbish, the seams are 10mm wide and just lapped over making the corners 4mm thick, the panel stitching is randomly spaced and, to top it off, the sails are the wrong size and are longer than the booms! Definitely worth a frowny face :mad:!! I nipped into a local haberdashers and found some light-weight, plain-weave cloth, which I think will make nice sails - bonus - I paid £2 for 4m2 end-of-roll, so plenty of material to practice with. I do not have any sail plans so I will need to make some card templates once I have done some rigging and figured out the set of the sails in order to get the size and angles correct - I have never done this before, so I will be looking through the Forum for tips on how to do sails. It will be a good challenge for me.

AL sail.JPG

Will up-date with progress on the rigging and sail making in a few weeks time. Now, it’s getting to the fun part!

Attachments

• boom lifts 2.JPG
    boom lifts 2.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 20
  • foremast details.JPG
    foremast details.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 21
  • heart deadeyes.JPG
    heart deadeyes.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 18
  • masts.JPG
    masts.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 26
  • rudder.JPG
    rudder.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 24
  • sail mock-up.JPG
    sail mock-up.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 22
  • sail templates.JPG
    sail templates.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 26
  • sails.JPG
    sails.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Hello Dom.
Nice to see you started a build-log of the build of your AL Bluenose. Your hull and deck looks great.
The making of the sails and installing them will be very interesting.
In the Groupbuild of the YQ Bluenose, I have posted a list of BN builds. Not only from YQ, but also from other factories.
There are also AL’s on that list. Perhaps you can find there missing information.
Her is the link, in the first post is the list:
I will ad your build-log to that list.
Regards, Peter Voogt.

Last edited:
This is my third build of a kit ship and my first build log. Apologies in advance if it is not what people like to see or read. I will try to briefly summarise progress and high-light issues that I have come up against and hopefully, that may prompt some helpful hints from the more experienced crew members.

I decided this was an appropriate build as it is the 100th Anniversary Year of the original Bluenose. I was hoping to buy the Model Shipways version (which most people review highly), but there was no stock in the UK at the time. Instead, I bought the 1:75 Artesania-Latina Bluenose II kit, 22453. I made a start back in February but, as I progressed the build, I was really disappointed with the model. The quality of the fittings is bad, there are many issues with the laser cut parts, no 1:1 drawings or rigging plans and the instructions leave much to be desired. But I started, so I’ll finish! After battling with the first planking, I decided that the best thing to do was to use the kit as a learning exercise and rework it into something a bit better. Fortunately, there is plenty of information on the internet that has helped me to progress the build. Hopefully, at the end, I will have something that I will be happy to put on display.

As a quick run down of the build so far:-
Feb. 2021 -
1. Getting started:-

View attachment 258944

2. Setting the bulk heads and laying out the decking.
I glued the deck pieces to some wax free tracing paper using the false decks as a template and then marked up the planking with pencil lines (I missed that the planks should be nibbed in - next time).

View attachment 258950

3. First planking - a lot of issues! Supplied strips were 50mm too short for the longest part of the hull ( I used some spares from my previous build). The keel pieces did not follow the false keel line and had big gaps. I had to make new bow parts rather than try to correct the kit parts. It was a real struggle to stop the upper hull ply pieces from warping (if the bulk heads had had stanchions it would have been much easier to continue the strip planking to form the gunwales).

View attachment 258952

March 2021.

4. I found this picture of the hull in the Lunenburg shipyard during its restoration, 2010-2012. It has such a wonderful profile that I immediately decided to ditch the A-L instructions and try to get the model looking like it should.

View attachment 258941

5. Tidied up the hull as best I could. I am painting the hull to match the actual ship, so I did not bother with the 2nd planking. Skimmed with filler and touched up with stopper paste to flatten minor imperfections. Added the prop tubes and cut the scuppers.

View attachment 258951

6. Primed ready for painting (all my sins covered up).

View attachment 258953

7. Hull in paint. I used generic acrylic car paint-spray cans. Upper hull is semi-gloss/satin black. Lower hull is red-oxide. I did mask in the yellow pin stripe that is on the upper hull, but I accidentally damaged the soft paint work and I had to go over with the black again and could not save it. I will add it back at the next stage.

View attachment 258943

April 2021

8. Fitted the bowsprit, false stanchions, decks, rails, rudder, props, deadeye-loops and straps, decorative etched parts and repainted in the yellow stripe.

The brass dead eye loops supplied were too small for the fittings so I made a complete set from 0.7mm Ni/Cr wire. Very tricky to mount them on the hull without damaging the paint work. The deadeyes were dyed ebony as used on the ship. The kit rail stanchions did not look right, so I replaced them with 10mm ones from Caldercraft - much better. The props look out of scale, but I went with what I have.

Painted in the yellow pinstripe again. This was a task I do not want to repeat again any time soon! The pinstripe is 0.5mm wide, so the only way I could do it was to use 0.5mm fine-line masking tape to define where the lines run, butt up two strips of 3mm tape either side of that to give me enough width to then put a strip of 10mm tape on top of that to which I could then attach some masking paper to mask off the rest of the hull. I could then remove the 0.5mm tape to leave a precise gap for painting. 3 passes of white to cover the black and then 3 of yellow - a lot of effort for two stripes - I will be more careful in the future. The ship has undergone several refits over the years and I have used some images from YouTube as a reference for how parts on the deck are painted (
).

View attachment 258947

View attachment 258946

May 2021

9. Deck housings and some deck fittings done. I had several goes at the Dorys. They are still not quite right, but I decided to go with the best ones that I could build.

View attachment 258942

Early June 2021

10. Fitted out the deck - needs a bit more work, but mostly complete.

View attachment 258949View attachment 258948

June to mid- September - House and garden projects!

Mid-September to-date.

11. Masts, booms and gaffs mostly done.
Tapered in the masts, booms and gaffs and added bands, eyelets and pulley blocks. Rigged the main aft boom lift, the haul-outs on the booms and the bridles on the gaffs. The kit came with 10 cheap brass rings for the sail hoops so I ordered some Billing Boats plastic hoop fittings as replacements but they looked totally wrong. I attempted to make some myself, but that was completely hopeless! If anyone knows how to make nice hoops, please let me know. Fortunately, I found some laser cut pear-wood mast hoops from Vanguard Models in the UK. Very high quality and varnished up they look just like the hoops fitted to the Bluenose. Very happy with the result, but - ouch - rather on the pricey side! View attachment 258954

View attachment 258945

12. Next up is to start the rigging.
The rigging instructions provided by A-L were rudimentary at best, so they just went into the bin! I have found a number of reference sources, but a really useful site is (https://suburbanshipmodeler.com) which I am using as my main guide in order to rig the model as it should be done (many thanks to the suburban modeller!). With no proper plan, I have used DOMCAD to draw up a 1:1 plan so that I can keep track of what I am doing and approximate the run lengths and where all the lines are tied off. I will refine as I rig each run and reference back to the pictures that I have found. Hopefully, I will rig the model better than my drawing!

View attachment 258955

13. Sails.
I will also have to tackle the sails. There were some pre-sewn sails in the kit, but they are really dreadful quality (picture) - the material is rubbish, the seams are 10mm wide and just lapped over making the corners 4mm thick, the panel stitching is randomly spaced and, to top it off, the sails are the wrong size and are longer than the booms! Definitely worth a frowny face :mad:!! I nipped into a local haberdashers and found some light-weight, plain-weave cloth, which I think will make nice sails - bonus - I paid £2 for 4m2 end-of-roll, so plenty of material to practice with. I do not have any sail plans so I will need to make some card templates once I have done some rigging and figured out the set of the sails in order to get the size and angles correct - I have never done this before, so I will be looking through the Forum for tips on how to do sails. It will be a good challenge for me.

View attachment 258940

Will up-date with progress on the rigging and sail making in a few weeks time. Now, it’s getting to the fun part!
You’re doing a great job!
Instead of painting a thin line, I used graphics tape. It comes in different colors and thicknesses, and as small as 1/32”. It sticks well and won’t come off. Just an FYI.

You’re doing a great job!
Instead of painting a thin line, I used graphics tape. It comes in different colors and thicknesses, and as small as 1/32”. It sticks well and won’t come off. Just an FYI.
Thanks, I think will do that next time. It took me the best part of three days and many metres of masking tape to painstakingly reinstate the lines with my airbrush. The sad thing was that they were perfect first time and it pained me to have to paint over them again - C'est la vie.

A beautiful job you are doing on Bluenose II. I have also built this kit twice. I am from Nova Scotia, the home of the bluenose and a member of the South Shore Ship Modelers Guild. We are affiliated with the Lunenburg Fisheries Museum and meet a few hundred meters from where the original Bluenose was built. I thought I would bring to your attention a wonderful book titled "Bluenose II, Saga of the Great Fishing Schooners". The book is 125 pages of measured drawings of the Bluenose II commissioned by Oland's Brewery who had the Bluenose II built in 1963. This book is a full set of measured drawings as she was built. Four years ago I purchased the book from the Bluenose II Preservation Trust for $19.99 cdn. Their web site is www.bluenose2.ns.ca.

Wow - such a great idea of how you planked the deck before installing it - very beautiful work Dom -

A first rate model from a second or third rate kit,. Marvelous! I shall go over this carefully with my grandson Paul who is eight, and will receive his first model this Christmas.

A beautiful job you are doing on Bluenose II. I have also built this kit twice. I am from Nova Scotia, the home of the bluenose and a member of the South Shore Ship Modelers Guild. We are affiliated with the Lunenburg Fisheries Museum and meet a few hundred meters from where the original Bluenose was built. I thought I would bring to your attention a wonderful book titled "Bluenose II, Saga of the Great Fishing Schooners". The book is 125 pages of measured drawings of the Bluenose II commissioned by Oland's Brewery who had the Bluenose II built in 1963. This book is a full set of measured drawings as she was built. Four years ago I purchased the book from the Bluenose II Preservation Trust for $19.99 cdn. Their web site is www.bluenose2.ns.ca.
Thanks Bob, I will look into buying the book. I really enjoy finding out about the history of things and seeing old images of a bygone age. The Bluenose is such an iconic ship and I would really like to build a good, highly detailed, model of the Bluenose at some future date, but I would definitely look into the quality of the kit first after current experience (I doubt I could tackle a scratch build though!).

The "Saga" is a book worth it's price. Unfortunately it could not be obtained against the Cdn$19.99, but still worth it.

It looks like it is out of print at the moment, but I found a good used copy on ebay. I will look forwards to reading through and looking at the drawing set.

It looks like it is out of print at the moment, but I found a good used copy on ebay. I will look forwards to reading through and looking at the drawing set.
You'll Iove it, I'm sure... ;)

Back