Bluenose Model Shipways build log - Mallacoota

Thanks Peter...i dont have the skill or the tools to make working ones as some people have, but once painted they will do the job. How is your BN going..? I would like to do the POF one again with what I learned from the first time. It is a special model. But having now done 2 x BN I suspect it is time to move on.

Thanks Peter...i dont have the skill or the tools to make working ones as some people have, but once painted they will do the job. How is your BN going..? I would like to do the POF one again with what I learned from the first time. It is a special model. But having now done 2 x BN I suspect it is time to move on.
My turnbuckles are working only one time, just like yours: when I stick them together with the glue ….. ;) I am now with my BN busy for a few weeks with the deck furniture.
There are some other very nice POF kits. The only benefit of a 3th BN is perhaps the different scale?
Regards, Peter

Pretty much at the end now, not doing the dories...might revisit later but thinking racing mode. That would have given me an excuse to not do the ratlines but didnt think of it then....
Thought I would make a few comments on the kit. In a sense it is expert level, but an intermediate level modeller like me can make a decent enough job of it. The plans are so comprehensive and detailed that a genuine scratch builder could do it if they had station plans/elevations. Other wise the plans are superb. The rigging has scope for much more sophisticated work than I am into. So all in all the kit I would rate as 8/10, the plans 10/10, the instruction book 6/10, the wood quantity 12/10 (huh..?) the wood quality ...mmmmm... 8/10, maybe 7/10. The planks stock is all basswood (but quite good) except ther mast stock which was so warped in my kit that I had to trash it. Only a few dollars to replace with hardwood dowel.
So I would recommend the kit to anyone medium level or ex[ert level if they want to shoot for really high standard because the stock and the plans will support that.

A really ineteresting build would be the YQ POF model with rigging and fittings and hardfware from the MS plans. That would be the best of both worlds.No matter how good some aspects are it is still POB.
Will post some photos in the completed gallery for anyone interested. Now on to Amati 1608 Italian Runabout ( Riva Aquarama) for my son...

Here is the wood I had left over..?

IMG_20220811_155915.jpg

Have to paint on the side stripe in gold and work out how do the names... nothing provided in the kit. Not too fussed about either but I will do the gold stripe at least.

Last edited:
HI jOHN, as I have seen, you have been working hard .. I have a sugestion for the names .. you could get some Letters Decals in diferent colors (gold included) and in different sizes (scales)... (ebay), for last I will wait for the photos gallery

My approach has been to install the waterboards, then the top wale level with the waterboards...sand and finish that, then a bulwark wale with the scuppers cut into the bottom edge. The kit planking plan (below) shows the quarterdeck step is managed by just stopping a plank at the great beam and the next plank running straight through. The problem is that you cant just do this because the foredeck waterway and the quarterdeck waterway are not a plank different in height...they are only about half a plank My solution (lucky) was to use some spare stock half the plank width for the quarterdeck top wale...that way you can get the wales level with their waterways and also run the longer plank straight through. You could also cut down a plank to half width if you had to. Maybe this is reflecting an earlier mistake but I dont think so as the deck planking levels are right.

View attachment 255406

View attachment 255407
Thanks for the pics and the idea on this 1/16 “plank”. I’m going to do mine like this.

Back