Bluenose Schooner Paint

Anyone who has done the Bluenose Schooner what brand and color paint did you use for the hull. I had originally planned to buy the paints from Model Shipways, but there are so many negative comments on various forums about their paints especially if you want to use an airbrush. Just wondering what others have done.

Thanks
Rodney

Hi Rodney. Check out my Bluenose build log using the Bob Hunt practicum at the link here. Lot's of tips you will find useful for your build. Enjoy.

Hi Rodney. Check out my Bluenose build log using the Bob Hunt practicum at the link here. Lot's of tips you will find useful for your build. Enjoy.

Thanks. I actually read through it yesterday. I saw you used the Bob Hunt practicum and wanted to see if you had any problems or comments on it. I'm not far along so nothing tricky or complicated yet. Just trying to think ahead.

Rodney

I typically use Tamiya brand model paints. Although they are expensive they provide consistent superior results. The important thing with paints is to use quality name brands with proper thinners and mixing ratios. As a general rule... oil/enamels are better for hand brushing, while acrylics are better for airbrushing/spraying. Everyone has their own way in this regard. The Model Shipways paint is garbage.

Thanks, I was looking at the Tamiya paints online, I need to find someplace local that carries them, but the red I found looks too red. But maybe if I find a local store they would have more selection. Buying online is so convenient, but when you're looking for a specific color it's a bit of a challenge.

I have built several models and many half models of the Bluenose, I and II, and I use acrylic paints, Red Iron Oxide for the below waterline and Lamp Black with some Midnight Blue mixed in for above. Once painted, use a semi-gloss varnish or sealer to get the shine you need, not high gloss but the original wet look. I have been aboard her many times and these paint colours are accurate.

|Bob

Thank you so much.
I have built several models and many half models of the Bluenose, I and II, and I use acrylic paints, Red Iron Oxide for the below waterline and Lamp Black with some Midnight Blue mixed in for above. Once painted, use a semi-gloss varnish or sealer to get the shine you need, not high gloss but the original wet look. I have been aboard her many times and these paint colours are accurate.

|Bob
Do you recall what brand. I've been Googling and can only find the Red Iron Oxide in artist tube acrylics.

For the hull it depends if you want the Bluenose 11 squeaky clean or the fishing boat. See Tom Lauria's youtube channel regarding suggestion of scale by muting colours. As a marine artist it's used instinctively for aeriel perspective, (I must admit, it didn't occur to me to try it on a model) That and weathering has produced the best fishing schooner (Dunton, but the same applies) I've seen. Tom uses a flat black with a little white to produce a dark grey, the mix will vary with scale from almost black to a more obvious grey (Tom explains this well) I use Humbrol (UK) spirit based paints, you can get a beautiful finish with a flat nylon (or any watercolour) brush. Saves me juggling with my airbrushes. I usually build at 1:48 and 'til now have been using unmixed black. I'll be experimenting with my next build. My first kit was AL's Jolie Brise. The example is shown in a high gloss black (indeed that is the colour of the modern charter cutter. I could have 'satinised' the finish but I wanted the old pilot boat look) The modern Bluenose is the same. So really, are you building Bluenose 1 or 2? My phone camera doesn't really capture it, but the weathering is serious food for thought. I'm re-thinking my entire approach. Tom's builds look like boats I remember being sick on!!!!

gallery-la-dunton-7.jpggallery-la-dunton-25-1024x684.jpg

Back