Bokapi wood strips - planking

Pwh

Starting on the 1st layer planking of Scottish Maid (AL) using 2 x 5 mm strips. What is the best method for bending this hard wood?

Starting on the 1st layer planking of Scottish Maid (AL) using 2 x 5 mm strips. What is the best method for bending this hard wood?
I can’t say I’ve ever really heard of this type of wood. I looked it up on my wood database and received the reply “not found”. I’m guessing this is a name given to another actual type of wood.
I’d say take a strip and soak in water for a bit to see if it will bend. All wood will bend to some degree but some are more difficult than others. Sorry if this sounds simplistic but I’ve had zero experience with this wood.
John

You would be better placed to purchase some limewood for your first planking. Its super bendy and sandpapers easily.

It’s an old kit and has a number of bokapi wood. I tried soaking in water and it does bend a bit. Tried using a plank crimper but the wood is to brittle. Not sure why the kit would use such a thick hardwood for the 1st planking. I might try a different wood.

Back