Bounty launch as drawn in Richard Mansir book

Has anyone done a scratch build from the plans for the Bounty launch as drawn in Richard Mansir book The Journal of the Bounty's Launch?

I couldn't find anything in the logs by searching...

I found this one

Thanks, that's my model! I think folks are impressed more with the depiction of the crowded conditions in the boat than they were with the workmanship of the model. That was my first serious modeling attempt, and my skills have hopefully improved since then. No more carved hulls!

I love it.
It’s a beauty of a model and is neatly built.
You should be very proud of it.

This is really a beautiful model - very good build !!! :cool:
I am only wondering, if the oars were really so long, seems to be longer than the mast high.
I am pretty sure the handling of these oars was very complicated and a heavy job

The spool was built on the basis of Anatom of het Chip Bounty (author) John McKay.
I also think the oars are long and lacking counterweight, but I stuck to John McKayn's plans.
Thank you and best regards .

aaaaa.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The spool was built on the basis of Anatom of het Chip Bounty (author) John McKay.
I also think the oars are long and lacking counterweight, but I stuck to John McKayn's plans.
Thank you and best regards .

View attachment 226021
Many Thanks for the hint to McKays book and the clarification.
I am happy to hear, that you had the same feeling about the length

Here a link to our book review:

Maybe slightly off topic, but maybe a usefull information for some members:

just found:

from
The Art of Making Masts, Yard, Gaffs, Boom, Blocks, and Oars
by David Steel, from 1797

Unbenannt.JPG

The 20 feet long oars were the longest possible one for launches.....

Interesting, that oars for ships were up to 52 feet long !!!

Unbenannt1.JPG

If the question about the lifeboat from HMS Bounty is still relevant, I have some photos of the lifeboat.
Thst is a beautiful model in all respects, but no, I was asking about anybody's experience with the specific plans in the Mansir book. Thank you!

Back