brass nails

Dave:

I stumbled on that article too while trying to answer my own question. I found some other links which may be of interest. And my apologies for the thread drift.

copper spikes were found in ships dating as early as 1500

if steel rust fast in salt water the paint used on steel navy ships must be really good to protect the steel hulls

Lol, I remember this from the girlfriends Soap Opera, toxic ship paint used in a office

if steel rust fast in salt water the paint used on steel navy ships must be really good to protect the steel hulls
The paint is only a shield, the trick is getting it to stay stuck to the steel. This is where sand blasting and primers come in.

As you pointed out earlier corrosion will do some to protect steel but the corrosion film has to remain intact. In a wooden hull fastener the working of the surrounding wood keeps abrading the film so corrosion is unabated.

it is rare to see wooden model ship painted but in reality hulls were painted i suspect in a lead based paint which would cover the iron spikes

Gördüğüm en kaliteli mikro tırnaklar bu sitede
The best quality micro nails I've ever seen are on this site

Last edited by a moderator:
wooden ships built on the fresh water lakes packed salt between the frames to slow down wood rot so salt is good and salt in bad.

Yes, fresh water does wood no good. I think salt kills harmful bacteria that rots wood.

"wooden ships built on the fresh water lakes packed salt between the frames to slow down wood rot so salt is good and salt in bad."

The old Banks fishing schooners did the same. There were perforated "salt shelves" between frames enclosed inside the planking and ceiling. Before the covering board was installed the shelf space was filled with salt. Wooden boats tend to rot top down from fresh water. The Banks Schooners also had to contend with iced fish holds.

Fresh water provides the moisture required for the fungi that cause wood rot. Fungi are one of the few organisms that can digest lignin, the glue that holds wood together. If it weren't for fungi we would be up to our eyeballs in wood left over from the time of the dinosaurs to today. :confused:

Isn't that comforting!
Ed

Gördüğüm en kaliteli mikro tırnaklar bu sitede
The best quality micro nails I've ever seen are on this site

Many Thanks for this link - looking like very good bolts with different heads (and reasonable prices)

I bought my brass nails from that At Fisher, but they used to be in the Detroit area. I went rite to the shop where they made everything

Back