Bridge and Boat Diorama

Good idea Greg. Will put a faint dirty line around base of footings. But don't ask me to weather the bridge any further, for I have an aversion for weathering.
Well, I gave it a go and I have to say I disliked it. Sorry.

vepDHt7.jpg

IMHO
A & B looks too out of place considering the colour of the water. It may look like that in real life, but it irks me. If the museum suggests that it ought to have a dirty flood line, then I'll tell them to get somebody else to paint it.
C looks okay because the water colour is similar.
D looks like closer to a brand new bridge that has not yet seen a flood.

It's not easy to paint around the footings under the bridge. If I put a dirty mark around the footings, then I'll have to do the same for the fender piers. . . and you can forget about me doing that.

So, I am going back to D. I know Greg won't mind, but I am sorry If I have disappointed anybody else about my decision.

So, I am going back to D. I know Greg won't mind, but I am sorry If I have disappointed anybody else about my decision.

G'day Peter
PLEASE don't worry about me or anyone else. What I asked you to do is very difficult and I'm sorry for that.
I havta agree with you A and B is NBG, C is ok in the muddy waters but not in the clear waterways.
Maybe when you do the gloss clear lacquer over the water, you can be not so careful around the piers, that way the piers would look wet as well.
Keep up your great work mate.
Greg

G'day Peter
PLEASE don't worry about me or anyone else. What I asked you to do is very difficult and I'm sorry for that.
I havta agree with you A and B is NBG, C is ok in the muddy waters but not in the clear waterways.
Maybe when you do the gloss clear lacquer over the water, you can be not so careful around the piers, that way the piers would look wet as well.
Keep up your great work mate.
Greg
Thanks for understanding my skew-whiff thinking.
Yes, the wet surface is a good point. I have considered doing that for the riprap (rocks) and other bits touching the water as well. After all the water surface is a bit rough.

I still liked Greg's @Peglegreg idea of weathering the footings somewhat. So I visited our Missingham Bridge to study the footings.
It had some barnacles on it, and I studied the reflections.

SazsJ3u.jpg

Decided to follow this example. Only used various shades of grey to neutralize colour comparisons.
Exagerated the barnacles to make it look like barnacles at such a small scale.
Also attempted to add some reflection on the water that was more greyish than before.

q6S3125.jpg

Cleaned up the wharf. Added another submerged tentacle to the kraken (near side).
With the gangway in place, the kraken will be partly hidden (a sneaky fellow).
Painted the fish and jellyfish swimming away from the kraken.

S2QeH66.jpg

That is superb mate!
Bloody fantastic, what a bonzza of a job!
I'm so sorry to put you to the extra work, but the finished results, says it all.
Well done.
But....
....... are you going to paint barnacles on the black poles as well?;)
Me and my BIG mouth. :p Sorry about that, mate.
Havagoodone and happymodeling
Greg

Congratulations on a
brilliant job!
The water looks so good, l might have a dip in that river.
I thought you said that you were rusty with the painting. To me, you're a shining (off the water) example of a true artist.
Greg

...The water looks so good, l might have a dip in that river...
Would not do that if I were you. There are bull sharks and at least one kraken in that water.
...I thought you said that you were rusty with the painting. To me, you're a shining (off the water) example of a true artist...
Ah, stop pulling my leg. It's trick photography ;)

Thanks mate.

Applied fist coat of varnish. It certainly looks wetter.
I noticed the varnish allows the lighter colours, as seen on the water crests, to reflect more light.

RiVnRgs.jpg

The water still looks quite choppy. Hoping the next coat or two will mellow it out a bit.

Keeps getting better and better I liked the water lines idea and I think finding the right color to do Ii in is the key to it being an acceptable addition. that said the brown didn't work the barnacles work very well and look fantastic. I think when your all done with this project I would love to see a slow motion video tour of it pictures are nice but the video captures everything. You have some great skill Brother this is absolutely something to be proud of. I wish I could come visit to see it in person.

Keeps getting better and better I liked the water lines idea and I think finding the right color to do Ii in is the key to it being an acceptable addition. that said the brown didn't work the barnacles work very well and look fantastic. I think when your all done with this project I would love to see a slow motion video tour of it pictures are nice but the video captures everything. You have some great skill Brother this is absolutely something to be proud of. I wish I could come visit to see it in person.
I am sure there will be a youtube video for promoting the museum. If so, I'll let you all know.

Back