Brig Corsair by OcCre - heavily reworked

210 (Large).jpg
I built this serving machine using a foot controlled sewing machine motor and some laser cut acrylic gears. The aluminum parts were cut on a CNC mill.

Video of the serving machine in use. So far I'm pretty happy with how it works. If I was to start over though, I'd make it reversible. Occasionally the thread will switch directions when winding and it has to be backed up manually. The motor is AC though, so can't really make it reverse.

211 (Large).jpg212 (Large).jpg
Test shot of some served rope.214 (Large).jpg215 (Large).jpg
Getting started on the bow.

216 (Large).jpg217 (Large).jpg
Eyes wrapped with served lines. It's a subtle detail, but really adds a lot to the model.

218 (Large).jpg219 (Large).jpg220 (Large).jpg221 (Large).jpg222 (Large).jpg
There. Now I can see it...

223 (Large).jpg224 (Large).jpg
Beginning the Foremast

225 (Large).jpg

226 (Large).jpg

229 (Large).jpg
At this point the ship project sat for a year without any progress...
230 (Large).jpg231 (Large).jpg
232 (Large).jpg
After a good long break, I returned to the project by making up a block...
233 (Large).jpg234 (Large).jpg
First row of deadeyes in place.

235 (Large).jpg
I've now been back at the project for a couple months and have made lots of progress, my goal is to try and wrap it up by Christmas. More to come...

Again great build. I am new here and I am looking for model to build. This Corsair is looking also pretty good. I noticed that you changed a lot on this ship because you have the option with your laser cutter :D. But my question is whether the kits wood is sufficient for building? Or you are not recommending this kit for me as beginner? Also would like to know how you evaluate the instructions? Are they any goog for beginner?

Again great build. I am new here and I am looking for model to build. This Corsair is looking also pretty good. I noticed that you changed a lot on this ship because you have the option with your laser cutter :D. But my question is whether the kits wood is sufficient for building? Or you are not recommending this kit for me as beginner? Also would like to know how you evaluate the instructions? Are they any goog for beginner?

Hi, The wood included is all fine, having access to the equipment I do I prefered to replace it with very high quality wood. Same with the laser cut items, the items in the kit are fine. I really didn't like the rope included, way to fuzzy for my tastes.

The instructions are horrible. The drawings are confusing and difficult to interpret. The worst part is they simply stop when the difficult steps of rigging start. They simply say "rig the ship"... seriously. So that is the step I'm at now, and it's very slow going as each step requires a lot of studying and research to figure out what to do next...

I would not say this is a good candidate for a beginner.

Hi, The wood included is all fine, having access to the equipment I do I prefered to replace it with very high quality wood. Same with the laser cut items, the items in the kit are fine. I really didn't like the rope included, way to fuzzy for my tastes.

The instructions are horrible. The drawings are confusing and difficult to interpret. The worst part is they simply stop when the difficult steps of rigging start. They simply say "rig the ship"... seriously. So that is the step I'm at now, and it's very slow going as each step requires a lot of studying and research to figure out what to do next...

I would not say this is a good candidate for a beginner.
Thank you for your answer. Good to know. Will try find another.

Back