Buccaneer by Occre - First build ever

I was at an antique store a couple of months ago and ran across a gorgeous hand-carved galleon. I fell in love but it was out of my price range so I had to walk away. Over the next few weeks I found that I couldn't stop thinking about it so decided to try my hand at building my own. That's how I ended up finding The Buccaneer by Occre. The following is my shaky attempt at bringing this ship to life.

Thanks for reading and allowing me to share my journey. Here are pics of my build so far:

Buccaneer1.jpg20231129_100057.jpg20231212_192510.jpg20231218_075159.jpgBuccaneer8.jpgBuccaneer9.jpgBuc2.jpgBuc3.jpg

Buccaneer7.jpg

Hello Toni,
thank you for letting me join your journey. I'm eager to follow your progress as the Buccaneer will be next build.

One question as I have messed it up a little bit with the keel of my Polaris. Have you atteched the keel after the second planing was done (like the manual says) or before?

Hello Toni,
thank you for letting me join your journey. I'm eager to follow your progress as the Buccaneer will be next build.

One question as I have messed it up a little bit with the keel of my Polaris. Have you atteched the keel after the second planing was done (like the manual says) or before?

Hi Mapoo,

I followed the instructions and attached the keel after the 2nd planking.

I did see a video on YouTube where the builder glued the keel before the 2nd planking and his turned out better than mine so it's something to consider, for sure.

Hi, I agree that your Buccaneer looks great so far. And at least from the photos your keel looks perfect. How long does it take you to get so far? In comparison to to my Polaris much more planking needed here

Hi, I agree that your Buccaneer looks great so far. And at least from the photos your keel looks perfect. How long does it take you to get so far? In comparison to to my Polaris much more planking needed here

I started working on this during the first week of November so it's taking quite a while. I try to work on it a little each day but life doesn't always allow for that and I miss days here and there. This is also my first build so each step is a mystery to me until I've completed it.

Do you have a build log of your Polaris? I'd love to see it.

Your planking looks great!! I will follow your build log with great interest.

Hi Mapoo,

I followed the instructions and attached the keel after the 2nd planking.

I did see a video on YouTube where the builder glued the keel before the 2nd planking and his turned out better than mine so it's something to consider, for sure.
Hi Toni,
Do you have a link for the video you referenced about glueing the keel on before the second planking? I am ready to start my second planking on my OcCre Endurance and am trying to be as precise as I can. Trying to add a lot of detail to this model, my third, after having learned so much from this forum and seeing such great models. I need to decide do I glue the keel first with a slight rabbet for the second planks or do it in the order the instructions say.
Thanks!

Hello Toni,

Your work looks great - whether it's your first or 21st build! And yes life does indeed get in the way with our builds. I usually start my work before 4 AM in order to get 2+ hours in before other things beckon me.

Best wish for continues success on your build.

Hi Toni,
Do you have a link for the video you referenced about glueing the keel on before the second planking? I am ready to start my second planking on my OcCre Endurance and am trying to be as precise as I can. Trying to add a lot of detail to this model, my third, after having learned so much from this forum and seeing such great models. I need to decide do I glue the keel first with a slight rabbet for the second planks or do it in the order the instructions say.
Thanks!
Hi Kramer, see here

Hi Toni,
Thanks!

Yes, I do. He starts work on the keel at about the 31:00 minute mark. And after I watched a bit of it again, I see that he actually glues it before even the 1st planking. Here's the link:

Back