Build log: HMS Fly [COMPLETED BUILD]

I posted a sail rigging question in the General topics/help section of SOS for my HMS Fly build. I have decided to add a build log to cover the sail installation. The bowsprit will be the first set of sails and will be furled.

I didn’t do a complete build log for H.M.S. Fly because I posted a build log for H.M.S. Pegasus and they are 95% identical. I also added the upgrade kit for Fly. I replaced the deadeyes, ropes, blocks, and the longboat with third party parts. The upgrade supplied a much better deadeye strop as well as gun locks and barrel monograms.

Here is the current progress:

HMS Fly 00.jpgHMS Fly 02.jpgHMS Fly 08.jpgHMS Fly 09.jpg

Going to start with the bowsprit. I used the lathe to shape the spars with sandpaper then added the small wooden parts to all the pieces. Next I gave everything a coat of shellack and then a light 600 grit sanding followed by paint black. Finally a thin brush on coat of matte poly. Next I'll start on the various blocks and other tackle then add the sails and assemble the parts. Nothing will be glued together until absolutely necessary.

HMS Fly 09.jpg

I posted a sail rigging question in the General topics/help section of SOS for my HMS Fly build. I have decided to add a build log to cover the sail installation. The bowsprit will be the first set of sails and will be furled.

I didn’t do a complete build log for H.M.S. Fly because I posted a build log for H.M.S. Pegasus and they are 95% identical. I also added the upgrade kit for Fly. I replaced the deadeyes, ropes, blocks, and the longboat with third party parts. The upgrade supplied a much better deadeye strop as well as gun locks and barrel monograms.

Here is the current progress:

View attachment 335929View attachment 335930View attachment 335931View attachment 335932
Beautiful work! The upgrades are worth the effort. I especially like the monograms. I don’t remember seeing that on too many model ships…could be I needed direction to be aware of them on model ships.

Well the problems begin. I might have bitten off more than I can chew with adding sails. For starters the blocks on the spritsail topsail are on the wrong side from the foot ropes because the bowsprit is horizontal instead of like a vertical mast. An easy fix. Will cut them off and put back on in the correct position. Now the sail. I went to the fabric store and got the thinnest cotton they had. After completing the sewing I glued the bolt rope around the edge with fabric glue to hold it during sewing. The bolt rope is .75mm and the stitching around was to be .25mm but the smallest needle I could find split he bolt rope apart so it was a no go for that evolution. I think i'll leave it the was it is and hope lashing it to the spar will work. The biggest problem is belaying points.

HMS Fly 11.jpg
I finally found a good belaying diagram in Lennarth Peterson's book "Rigging Period Ship Models" and with sails installed I'm going to need about 16 new belaying points to handle all the new lines. Trying to figure out where to install them on an already cluttered deck. Should be interesting.

HMS Fly 12.jpg

Well the problems begin. I might have bitten off more than I can chew with adding sails. For starters the blocks on the spritsail topsail are on the wrong side from the foot ropes because the bowsprit is horizontal instead of like a vertical mast. An easy fix. Will cut them off and put back on in the correct position. Now the sail. I went to the fabric store and got the thinnest cotton they had. After completing the sewing I glued the bolt rope around the edge with fabric glue to hold it during sewing. The bolt rope is .75mm and the stitching around was to be .25mm but the smallest needle I could find split he bolt rope apart so it was a no go for that evolution. I think i'll leave it the was it is and hope lashing it to the spar will work. The biggest problem is belaying points.

View attachment 338647
I finally found a good belaying diagram in Lennarth Peterson's book "Rigging Period Ship Models" and with sails installed I'm going to need about 16 new belaying points to handle all the new lines. Trying to figure out where to install them on an already cluttered deck. Should be interesting.

View attachment 338654
Good evening. I now know why I chose not to do sails;). Nothing easy in sail making. Cheers Grant

Now I have also managed to catch up with your Fly, Charlie. As always, you are doing great work and that sail looks superb!

The spritsail about ready to install. I'll add both sails to the bowsprit but won't glue them in until I have to, probably when I have to add the preventers. It is really slow going at this stage. I have to do a lot of research online and in my library so see where things are attached. Only can find a few references to the belaying points for sails. Luckily this is a fun part of the project.HMS Fly 15 .jpg

The spritsail about ready to install. I'll add both sails to the bowsprit but won't glue them in until I have to, probably when I have to add the preventers. It is really slow going at this stage. I have to do a lot of research online and in my library so see where things are attached. Only can find a few references to the belaying points for sails. Luckily this is a fun part of the project.View attachment 340832
Good morning Charlie. Very clever jig that. Your sails are looking great as is your Fly. Cheers Grant

Bowsprit assembly completed. I added thimbles to each side of the bowsprit for running the buntlines from the spritsail to the belay points on the bow. I'll set aside the assembly until the masts are installed before I glue it in. I have a bad habit of breaking things off that stick out in the open while reaching for tools, glue, etc. Next I'll try to find a good place to add belay pin racks.

HMS Fly 16.jpgHMS Fly 17.jpgHMS Fly 18.jpgHMS Fly 21.jpg

Back