Build Log: "Norske Løve" by Billings Boats

Please keep posting photos of your build, and ask questions if you get into a spot you can't figure out.

Between others build logs and general knowledge of the grand group of builders here you should get an answer to help you out.

This is definitly a place where "a photo is worth a thousand words" when explaining whats the problem or how you did figure out what next to do.
HI i HAVE BUILD OVER THE TIME 3NORSKE lOVE AND RESTAURING 3 MORE. I has always been my favorit ship- partly because it was my 1TH big build and Danish born with time in the Danish Navy. I have a huge amount of info and you shold have a look into the sistership Prinz Frederich- here build by Kaliboot- Karl M

Hei. Jeg kommer tilbake til den norske løve efter at jeg har prøvet meg på et mindre utfordrene skip. One of my motivations for purchasing the Norske Love was my Norwegian background. That however is no substitute for experience. I shall return. In the meantime I will start a new log for the "Avos".

Last edited:
Heat is the ticket…. There is enough moisture in the wood already and heat applied at the right spot will cause most woods to bend and hold the shape…. Although on some severe curves a little water on the plank helps produce steam and increase heat applied to that section. Tapering, edge bending, and bending to the correct curve of the area, (bow, stern, etc) to form the plank to its position prior to gluing is the secret…. A little chamfering of subsequent rows helps tuck the row joints in tight. There is a steep learning curve- especially on the older, bluff bows….
Stargazer, you are right on spot with the need for heat to soften the fibers for bending. I have never used one of the crimping tools and cannot imagine how they could produce the same type of bending without damage to the wood that heat and moisture, whether inherent or added. will produce. Rich (PT-2)

I
I would recommend Tender Avos' from the Master Korabel manufacturer. It is the same class Cuter\Tender as Lady Nelson, but it is futures one main difference. The planking material for the hull is pre-spilled, They are laser cut by shape. This dramatically reduces the effort for the novice builder and doesn't require extensive knowledge of 'of how to plank the hull'. Also, all parts are precisely made and a nice fit.
Another advantage is, you don't have to order from overseas. Egor @craftysailor our member has it in stock across the border store. Check it out. Also, we have a few build logs of this beautiful tender. I don't know your skills, but I also don't know anyone who regretted building Master Korabel's kits.

one of the build logs

This is solid advice. Being a beginner I would have enjoyed cutting my teeth and learning on a smaller model (less expensive one too) as I do “learn from my mistakes “ some of which can’t be fixed. I also found that I tend to get more critical of my earlier work in the model and it frustrates me when I see it as I progress.

I would recommend Tender Avos' from the Master Korabel manufacturer. It is the same class Cuter\Tender as Lady Nelson, but it is futures one main difference. The planking material for the hull is pre-spilled, They are laser cut by shape. This dramatically reduces the effort for the novice builder and doesn't require extensive knowledge of 'of how to plank the hull'. Also, all parts are precisely made and a nice fit.
Another advantage is, you don't have to order from overseas. Egor @craftysailor our member has it in stock across the border store. Check it out. Also, we have a few build logs of this beautiful tender. I don't know your skills, but I also don't know anyone who regretted building Master Korabel's kits.

one of the build logs

The Norske Love looks hugely technical- @Dean62 is amazing

The Norske Love looks hugely technical- @Dean62 is amazing
Thank you for the compliment Grant!
The biggest issue with this kit is the instructions. There is only a few paragraphs for written instructions. They might as well have just printed “good luck”! :p
There are some isometric views that are basic in nature showing how the ship itself might be built. However they are not exactly in order, there are some things that should be left for later and others that should appear sooner. So you have to study all views prior to assembly. Definitely confusing for someone without experience!
And finally there are the full scale plans. It is these that you will rely on most, and reference the isometric views for a better idea of how things go together. Most everything, except for the lazer cut frames, deck sheets and a few walls, will be scratch built from wood stock provided. This means you will rely heavily on the full scale plans, and should have a good understanding of what should be done first and the best method to accomplish it. Thus the expert rating on the kit. They do not have explicit step by step instructions! They assume you have experience to figure it out and know the proper order of construction, that comes with experience. The kit has potential, if you have a good understanding of plans, and are willing to embellish what is provided with better quality components.
So in conclusion, it’s not a kit for everyone, and most likely why it has not been more popular. I for one think it’s a beautiful ship. So I will deal with the shortcomings and hope to have a good end result worthy of the original ship. ;)

Although this in not my first build, it is my first log, so bear with me while I try to figure this out.
This summer I picked up a Artesana Latina's original San Fransisco kit from the bargain bin in a local hobby shop. I did not have a clue of what to expect. Fortunately I found the experience exciting and challenging. Challenging because the kit came with minimal instructions and Exciting because I enjoy solving problems. Having just completed this build i Ordred th Sphinx from England. Given their production delays I cancelled the order and ordered th Norske Løve insted at half the price. As you will see I am still challeged as the written instructions are still only one page long. Fortunately the illustrations are much better (and more numerous). Also I hope to learn a lot from Dean62's excellent build log.

The box containing my new build arrived on Oct 9, 2021.It was raining heavily an the box was soaking wet

The inside box was wet as well.

Fortunately the kit was OK

Here are some of the parts I have moved int my tool sh
Hallo @arneT
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hei. Jeg kommer tilbake til den norske løve efter at jeg har prøvet meg på et mindre utfordrene skip. One of my motivations for purchasing the Norske Love was my Norwegian background. That however is no substitute for experience. I shall return. In the meantime I will start a new log for the "Avos".
Although the name is Norske Love, the ship was danish, WITH A BROTHER Prinz Frederich and a sister _I have forgotten the name momentum this moment, but it could be CHARLOTTEQAMAKIA
. They were all built by the, what is danish was called Frabriksester Mr Krabbe

I am concerned that you let the deck board notches determine the final alignment of your frames! It is better to install the frames square to the keel, parallel to one another, and properly spaced. Then adjust the notches in the deck if necessary. Otherwise, if you blindly trust the deck notches are always right, then you can end up moving your frames out of square and adversely effect the hull shape. ;)
AT LIST SOMEONE AGREE WITH ME HERE.

Back