Build log - Sergal Cutty Sark Build 2021

Aaaar, major problem. The instruction left out a major peice. (I note that the instructions state that they had a team of expert builders define the build intructions, they must have been asleep)

I put the top deck on then noticed that there was a peice in the box that should have been in place, I re-read the instructions to see if I missed anything, nope. They forgot to add the bottom deck.

Solution - the only solution I can fiugure out is to cut the deck into peices and place under the main deck. Takingt he main deck off would be very tricky as it is glued in very well.

Any thoughts? thankyou.

Andre

Attachments

• 4d.jpg
    4d.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 4e.jpg
    4e.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 20
how secure is the main deck? can you pop the glued joins apart then add the below deck?

Aaaar, major problem. The instruction left out a major peice. (I note that the instructions state that they had a team of expert builders define the build intructions, they must have been asleep)

I put the top deck on then noticed that there was a peice in the box that should have been in place, I re-read the instructions to see if I missed anything, nope. They forgot to add the bottom deck.

Solution - the only solution I can fiugure out is to cut the deck into peices and place under the main deck. Takingt he main deck off would be very tricky as it is glued in very well.

Any thoughts? thankyou.

Andre
I am building the Cutty Sark as well , started in June, yes that’s a bummer to leave out the bottom deck , also the bulkhead extensions will have to be removed , have a look at my build , I added the deck planking after the main deck in place , it worked fine , some do it before adding the deck , yes the instructions leave a lot to be desired , I looked at the CS photographs on line to get a better idea and used .25mm copper jewellers wire to secure the blocks , however that’s up to you , at the moment I am working on the rigging , shrouds , rat lines , also they added extra planking , however I had to order extra blocks , turnbuckles to add some reality , anyway good luck and happy building .Rob

357713EE-FA0E-45DA-9565-6C4A02F12744.jpeg7963DEEB-F14D-4CDE-BCCF-9EBD110C7DBF.jpeg8B418E8F-285A-4A26-A474-6A96061E7F42.jpeg72572221-1E88-4367-B70F-C5F3E48777C5.jpeg

Thankyou for your comments, your ship looks great. I have finaly got the lower deck in, Well mostly. where it counts ie mast holes and deck hole. Its a bit dodgy but should be OK as planking will cover it up.

Attachments

• received_583524059370201.jpeg
    received_583524059370201.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I am building the Cutty Sark as well , started in June, yes that’s a bummer to leave out the bottom deck , also the bulkhead extensions will have to be removed , have a look at my build , I added the deck planking after the main deck in place , it worked fine , some do it before adding the deck , yes the instructions leave a lot to be desired , I looked at the CS photographs on line to get a better idea and used .25mm copper jewellers wire to secure the blocks , however that’s up to you , at the moment I am working on the rigging , shrouds , rat lines , also they added extra planking , however I had to order extra blocks , turnbuckles to add some reality , anyway good luck and happy building .Rob

View attachment 264779View attachment 264780View attachment 264781View attachment 264782
Hi Rob,
This my first yacht build, your ship looks great. I have the lower deck in and will cover the mistake up with planking. Do you have a build log I can refer to?

Hi Rob,
This my first yacht build, your ship looks great. I have the lower deck in and will cover the mistake up with planking. Do you have a build log I can refer to?
HI Andre , just take your time , look I make mistakes like all of us , the plans are useful but not always easy to follow , always check and recheck , I advise you not using nails ,instead using clips when building the Hull , so much neater , glue between the strips of course , and when done seal and filler , it is a big project , I will try to help you as we go along , it took me 4 months to finish the Hull , also I don‘t think you should fill the in between bulkheads as some suggested , just make sure the bulkheads are beveled and you are well pleased with a smooth Hull prior the 2nd planking , also when copper planking , start of the water line and work your way down , I purchased electrical copper tape to finish off , Jaycar sells that stuff , so now and then a copper plate falls off , just use CA glue to reattach ! Just keep me posted ,Rob

Back