US Brig Syren by Passaro

What a great job you've done through out. It must feel good coming into the home stretch now. What's next on the drawing board?

Oh my it sure is satisfying but I literally could not have done it without Chuck Passaro's practicum. What's next.... I have in my stash a model shipways Flying Fish, Mamoli's Endevour, and The Beagle, also by Mamoli, and an HMS Victory by Corel. And I'm still working on Rattlesnake at my other residence.

The royal yards are the toughest, in that they and the royal mast are the thinnest and least tough. I followed Chuck Passaro's advice (mostly) and didn't pin the yard to the mast. I couldn't resist at least a tiny little pin hardly 1mm long to hold the yard in place while the glue dried. Then I rigged up the tie and the truss.

Then I got to work on the lifts, and clew line/sheet. After cinching down the lifts and putting some tension on the clew lines I heard a "twang"! Oh Sh*t I thought....good news is the twang was just that little tiny pin giving way, no broken wood.

lkxfj.jpg

But the yard was still fully attached to the mast pole as it seems I did a good job with the truss, that puppy just slid up the mast as the tension was let off all those lines.

So I decided to follow Chuck's instructions to the letter. I finished rigging up the clew line/sheet for both sides and started pulling in some tension. The yard stays nice and flush with the mast even though it's not secured with a pin or glue.

lkxfj.jpg,xdjfk.jpg;'lkjn.jpgk.jpg

It's quite a trick manipulating three lines on either side (total, 6 lines) all to keep the proper geometry with the clew line hook AND to keep the top of the royal mast from canting either port or starboard due to too much tension with the lift lines. But it's working out.

;lxjgkhk.jpg

Ran out of 2mm blocks and sent a resupply to my other address. :(
So I've jumped ahead to the last steps in the project: Anchors and anchor buoys. Most likely I won't actually mount these parts until I rig the spiritsail as they'd get in the way and I wouldn't want to damage them as I ham-hand the remaining rigging. I'm using walnut for the anchor stock and I'm just now regretting not using more hardwood for the deck furniture instead of the basswood provided in the kit. Oh well, too late for Syren.

poiusdfj.jpg;lkdsjn.jpg97sdc.jpglkzxnfv.jpgl;izdhf.jpg

Since I'm still waiting on my 2mm blocks I really can't do much except flesh out the shape of the spiritsail which will be the last of the running rigging. I'll get to that tomorrow. Today I spent my time working on the cradle and platform, which will then go inside a case. The case has to be of particular dimensions so I'll also scratch build that.

This is my first attempt at the cradle and pedestal. I had some walnut left over from an earlier woodworking project and it makes for a fantastic pedestal. Just cut the width to size and routed the edges. The cradle is also walnut but much thinner. I goofed on the placement as you can see the bow is short of the edge and the stern sticks way out. So OK I'll fix that. First attempt as I say. I think I'll have to beef up the cradle pieces a little bit, but not so much that I start taking away from the ship.

xfbv.jpg

I like it

Strong but delicate and small it do not take the first plan so the ship is the primary object Thumbs-Up

Fore sheets and tacks. Lower course braces. These are those funny three block thingys (for lack of a better word). A lot of effort put into making the block assemblies even though nobody will see the detail....but I know it's there.

mbnhvgcbv.jpg

Back