Building a Ship's Boat

Having seen dozens, or perhaps hundreds, of pictures of ship’s boats models I am convinced there are few if any accurate kits available to us in any scale. I am also convinced most modelers can make an accurate model at our most common scales to replace a kit supplied boat or for a stand alone project. Power tools are a big plus, but hand tools worked for the model makers 300 years ago and still work today. A coping saw, rasps, hobby knife, a hand drill and a few clamps are needed if power tools are not available.

I have made ship’s boats at scales from 1:24 to 1:96, the latter being the more difficult for me due to the smaller scale.

First up is finding a good contemporary drawing. There are many on the RMG Collections website in low resolution, but still useable. https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/search/ There are also over 5 dozen high resolution drawings on the Wiki Commons site that include barges, gun boats, launches, longboats, yawls, cutters and pinnaces. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Ship_plans_of_the_Royal_Museums_Greenwich

Once a subject has been selected the drawing can be downloaded and printed. The printed page can be scaled on many home printers or any local print store such as Kinkos or Staples in the US or similar places outside North America.

For this project the following is the original drawing I used, a 31 foot longboat of 1801 and building to 1:96 scale. This drawing is available on the Wiki site above in high resolution.

1716905883604.png

I then used the body plan to create a plug for forming the hull. The drawing of the stations was reduced slightly to account for the thickness of the frames which are moulded 2.75 inches at the futtock heads and 5.25 inches at the floor at the keel so it is a total of 5.5 inches athwartships and 5.25 inches up and down. At our scales the difference is not major.

As the plan shows the station lines forward on one side and aft on the other two copies of the plan are needed so a full set can be made for all the stations.

1716905931638.png

As there are 22 station lines in this case, I copy the full sets so there are multiple copies on a single sheet of paper. I then cut each full set out and fold them on the center line. Once it is folded, cut along the station line chosen and then there is a completed template and then repeat for each station. If you have a drawing program the stations can be copied or traced from the drawing plan and mirror imaged to yield a set of templates in that manner. Mark the station number on each template.
1716905957916.png

With a drawing program, the results will be similar to the picture below.

1716905992618.png

For this particular boat, the room and space is 1’ 3” so at 1:96 I was able to use 4 mm wood for the hull's plug pieces. The overall length was off by 0.4” but this was corrected when sanding the plug after the plug pieces were glued together. For other thicknesses there may not be stock wood sheets of the thickness that is needed so a planer or thickness sander would be needed or laminates of sheets that yields the right thickness will work as well. By the same token slices of the thickness needed can be taken off a block of wood with a hand saw and then the piece traced on the block and cut out with a coping saw or scroll saw if available.

Wood – I prefer holly for the frames but bass wood is more readily available and works well. I like either holly or castello box wood for the planking and thwarts but again basswood, Alaskan cedar, poplar or other more easily found woods can be used. The key is finding sheets of the thicknesses needed or having sheets planed to what is needed. More about this later to show planers and such are nice but not necessary.

For this boat, I used the following scantling chart. There is a chart of scantlings for mid 18th century and circa 1800 in W.E. Mays book, Boats of Men of War, and scantlings of the late 18th century in Scantlings of Royal Navy Ship and in Steel’s Elements and Practice of Naval Architecture, the latter of which can be found as a pdf on line for free. The free version is a little difficult to use. In the first versions mentioned the folios of the scantlings are two pages across as they include a number types and sizes of boat as in the original, but the free copy is single paged so takes a bit of maneuvering to be able to read across.

PARTICULARS, &C. fromLONG BOAT1:96 inches1:96mm
W.E. May, ZAZ5814; and ZAZ732231 FEET 3.875 98.4
BREADTH Moulded9' 6"
1.19​
30.226​
DEPTH in midships4' 3"
0.531​
13.5​
afore5' 6"
0.688​
17.47​
abaft5' 7"
0.7​
17.78​
KEEL Sided in midships5½"
0.057​
1.4478​
Deep below the rabbet6"
0.0625​
1.5875​
To be above the rabbet for deadwood1¼"
0.013​
0.3302​
STEM Sided4½"
0.047​
1.1938​
Afore the rabbet at the head7"
0.073​
1.8542​
Abaft the rabbet1¾"
0.018​
0.4572​
TRANSOM Broad or moulded at the upper part6' 2"
0.771​
19.5834​
Thick or sided3½"
0.037​
0.9398​
Knees, sided3½"
0.037​
0.9398​
STERN-POST Sided at the tuck4¾"
0.049​
1.2446​
at the keel3½"
0.037​
0.9398​
Broad, or fore and aft at the keel1' 4"
0.167​
4.2418​
(transom included) at the head8¼"
0.086​
2.1844​
ROOM AND SPACE1' 3"
0.156​
3.9624​
FLOOR TIMBERS Sided3"
0.031​
0.7874​
Moulded at the head3"
0.031​
0.7874​
at the throat5¼"
0.055​
1.397​
FUTTOCKS Sided at the heels3"
0.031​
0.7874​
at the heads2¾"
0.029​
0.7366​
Moulded at the heels2¾"
0.029​
0.7366​
Scarph of the timbers3' 0"
0.375​
9.525​
KEELSON Broad1' 1"
0.135​
3.429​
Thick3"
0.031​
0.7874​
FOOTWALING Thick1¼"
0.013​
0.3302​
STEP Broad 1' 3"
0.156​
3.9624​
Thick5"
0.052​
1.3208​
Long3' 0"
0.375​
9.525​
RISERS Broad10"
0.104​
2.6416​
Thick1¾"
0.018​
0.4572​
THWARTS Main Broad1' 2"
0.146​
3.7084​
Thick4"
0.042​
1.0668​
After Broad8½"
0.089​
2.2606​
Thick2½"
0.026​
0.6604​
Fore Broad9"
0.094​
2.3876​
Thick2¾"
0.029​
0.7366​
Loose Broad8 ½"
0.089​
2.2606​
Thick2"
0.021​
0.5334​
Knees upon the thwarts, sided3"
0.031​
0.7874​
BENCHES Broad1' 0"
0.125​
3.175​
Thick1½"
0.016​
0.4064​
DEADWOOD Sided3½"
0.036​
0.9144​
BOTTOM Thick1⅛"
0.012​
0.3048​
LANDING STRAKE Broad9½"
0.099​
2.5146​
UPPER STRAKE Broad8½"
0.089​
2.2606​
GUNWALE Deep3¾"
0.039​
0.9906​
Thick4"
0.042​
1.0668​
BREAST HOOK Sided3½"
0.036​
0.9144​
Length4' 6"
0.562​
14.2748​
Moulded at the throat7"
0.073​
1.8542​
EARS Sided3¾"
0.039​
0.9906​
Length1' 9"
0.219​
5.5626​
CHOCKS Thick3¾"
0.039​
0.9906​
Length1' 6"
0.188​
4.7752​
WASHBOARDS Broad Bow Quarter7"
0.073​
1.8542​
BOWSPRIT STEP Thick3"
0.031​
0.7874​
Broad1' 2½"
0.151​
3.8354​
WINDLASS Diameter10"
0.104​
2.6416​
CHOCKS Thick6"
0.063​
1.6002​
Broad11"
0.115​
2.921​
RUDDER Breadth at the heel1' 11"
0.24​
6.096​
Breadth at the hance1' 4¼"
0.169​
4.2926​
Breadth at the head9"
0.094​
2.3876​
Thickness1½"
0.016​
0.4064​
MAST Diameter7½"
0.078​
1.9812​
Length (overall) IF SLOOP RIGGED 34' 7"
4.32​
109.728​
SPRIT Diameter6¾"
0.07​
1.778​
Length 17' 7"
2.2​
55.88​
BOOM Diameter (tapered to 4" at mast)6"
0.063​
1.6002​
Length 23' 11"
3​
76.2​
GAFF Diameter 3½"
0.037​
0.9398​
Length 6 '10"
0.85​
21.59​

More to come.
Allan

Last edited:
This is an excellent article, Alan; sure enough, it can greatly help the scratch builder with all the details you've provided above. Luckily, members without the necessary skills and tools, who cannot build from scratch, can purchase those mini-kits. They are an excellent quality, IMHO, and can yield a very good addition to the current model. I built a number of those mini-kits and am very happy with the outcome. I can post images later today.

By any chance do you have images where you build the ship's boat? Can you start a build log to show step-by-step fabrication? That would be great for all of us. In the end, it might be not that difficult at all.

Hi Jim,
Sorry, I hoped this was the right place. Please feel free to move it to the proper place if I got it wrong. I plan to post photos of the build along with how-to notes as I move along. More to follow shortly. These really are simple enough for scratch or kit builders as a full blown shop of power tools is not necessary.

I am curious to see photos of your kit builds. My own experience in viewing kits in the past has been OK at times, not so OK at other times. In addition to scratch building, I hope this log will allow kit builders to do a little bashing of their kits to yield a near perfect replica boat in the end if they do not want to give a shot at a small scratch build.
By any chance do you have images where you build the ship's boat?
No problem to take some pictures of my work bench if that is what you are referring to.
Thanks for any guidance you can provide. :)
Allan

I'm looking forward to this. I made 4 boats for the Discovery1789 and really enjoyed building them. I've been thinking that when the Discovery is finished I would fill my time making ships boats. Kind of instant gratification compared to a complete ships build.

Hi Jim,
Sorry, I hoped this was the right place. Please feel free to move it to the proper place if I got it wrong. I plan to post photos of the build along with how-to notes as I move along. More to follow shortly. These really are simple enough for scratch or kit builders as a full blown shop of power tools is not necessary.

I am curious to see photos of your kit builds. My own experience in viewing kits in the past has been OK at times, not so OK at other times. In addition to scratch building, I hope this log will allow kit builders to do a little bashing of their kits to yield a near perfect replica boat in the end if they do not want to give a shot at a small scratch build.

No problem to take some pictures of my work bench if that is what you are referring to.
Thanks for any guidance you can provide. :)
Allan
Hi Alan. This is the perfect place, please continue your build log. The images along with steps outlines of how you build those boats will be perfect,

Here is the photo of the 4 boats. They were built from 3 different kit manufacturers, with various scales. The one in white is the paper model kit.

IMG_0413.JPEG
IMG_0416.JPEGIMG_0415.JPEG
IMG_0418.JPEGIMG_0417.JPEG

All 4 model kits are good quality and made a very nice model, IMHO.

The templates can be glued to the proper thickness sheet for the plug pieces. Alternatively the templates can be used to trace the shape onto label paper which subsequently can be adhered to the wood sheet without glue. Up to now I have redrawn the top view with the station lines so I can change to whatever scale I want but that is my own preference and not necessary. The top view from the original plan can be used or redrawn if desired. The photo below is a redrawing but shows the station lines. Holes are drilled around the shape where the frames will be inserted to hold them in place during the planking process that comes later.
Build board template.JPG
The next item is add a step on top of the board so there is some clearance between the board and plug when it is attached.
Building board drawing example.JPG

The plug itself is made of individual pieces that are the shape of the body plan station lines. Examples are below. I used scrap pine here but will probably use basswood in the future as it is easier to shape after all the pieces are glued together. The plug pieces in this case are all 0.157" (4mm) thick.

Plug pieces.JPG
Note the small cut into the sides of some pieces where the top of the frames will end at each station. This makes it easy to show the sheer line of the upper strake. If these are done with marker or pencil they get sanded off when finishing the forming plug. The slot in the top of the pieces is to assure alignment when gluing them together. There is about a half inch of extra wood from the sheer line as there should be plenty of room to work between sheer line and base board.

The picture below shows several plugs on base boards that were used for various types of boats at various scales.
Plug examples.JPG

NB: If making plug pieces the exact thickness needed is a problem an alternate method can be used. I tried this for a launch at 1:48 and it worked very well. Thinner pieces were used with spacers on the building board as seen in the photo below.
Building mold with slats.JPG

There are large slots in most of the forward and aft forming pieces. This is to accommodate the stem and rising wood forward and deadwood aft where the half frames will be located.

Here is the photo of the 4 boats.

Thanks for your input and help Jim, it is sincerely appreciated. They are indeed lovely models.

One thing that does strike me as odd is the paper model shows double banked on every other thwart. This shows up on some models but as far as I have been able to research (so far) there were no thwarts on contemporary plans or models without a thole on one side or the other or on both sides if double banked. I have never been able to find what breadth determines when a boat will be banked one way or the other and would love to find this information. Round numbers it seems 7 foot breadth is the deciding point on going from single banked to double banked. I know it is unimportant in the overall scheme of things in life, but I guess it is just a pet peeve for me to see a double banked pinnace or yawl when contemporary drawings clearly show the same or similar boat single banked. Even a 32 pinnace with a breadth of nearly 7 feet was single banked. An example is below. From the plan view it seems looks to be double banked but when looking at the overhead view, it is easy to see the tholes are alternating port starboard so single banked.

Allan

32 foot pinnace from Danish archives.png

One thing that does strike me as odd is the paper model shows double banked on every other thwart. This shows up on some models but as far as I have been able to research (so far) there were no thwarts on contemporary plans or models without a thole on one side or the other or on both sides if double banked.
Sorry for being off-topic and use your log to answer.
This might be a mistake of mine, incorrectly putting thwarts, but... we keep talking about authentically correct kits on multiple threads or different occasions. There is not a single kit manufacturer who makes 100% authentically accurate kits. All commercial kits have only one purpose - revenue! If they cannot return an investment and add at least 50% of profits in sales then, this future kit has no luck to be born. This explains why we have so many HMS Victories, Bounties, Bluenouses, and other famous ships. They can produce the kit with much less outlay and effort for extensive research, and get as much revenue.

Those boat kits would be sufficient to add to the existing models, technically, they don't have to be bashed (I didn't bash boats shown). If they are not up to the taste of a modeler, they can be modified, BTW, they are all a pearwood (except the paper one, ;))

All commercial kits have only one purpose - revenue!
I get it. :) Still I wonder if additional authenticity is possible yet allow one to make a fair profit. Regardless, good for them if they can get 50% profits. We were very happy to get 30-40% when I was still working for a living instead of fun. I am enjoying this banter, thank you kindly!
PS: I see you are from NYC. I admit I miss all the boroughs and the northeast in general at times, especially the restaurants. I have fond memories of Monte's in Brooklyn and Morimoto on 10th Ave. in Manhattan.

Last edited:
I get it. :) Still I wonder if additional authenticity is possible yet allow one to make a fair profit. Regardless, good for them if they can get 50% profits. We were very happy to get 30-40% when I was still working for a living instead of fun. I am enjoying this banter, thank you kindly!
PS: I see you are from NYC. I admit I miss all the boroughs and the northeast in general at times, especially the restaurants. I have fond memories of Monte's in Brooklyn and Morimoto on 10th Ave. in Manhattan.
don't know how long since you've been in New York, but...things have changed since COVID evolved, and lots of the restaurants were closed for good. It is getting back slowly, but will never be the same.

Sad, very sad. After we moved south I was back once a month for 4 or 5 days per trip for business and always felt good about walking from my hotel near the Port Authority to 32nd between Broadway and 5th for the Korean cuisine. Good times......but it was pre-Covid.

Making frames is essentially a matter of cutting a softer species of wood into strips. In the case of the 1:96 long boat I made frames from 1/32" sheets. Using a piece of wire I could measure the length needed to fit over the mold and into the holding holes.
Framing set up.JPG
The next picture shows the wire from the picture above and the steel rule used as a cutting guide. One of the frames is cut with the scalpel from the 1/32" piece of sheet.
Frame measuring and cutting.JPG

When placing the frames on the plug, for larger scales it is a good idea to add guide pieces as shown in the first photo above. For the 1:96 scale longboat I just went with guiding by eye, using the seams for each plug piece (station line) as a guide. If guide pieces are used they need to be thinner than the thickness of the frames so when the planking is glued onto the frames, they do not stick to the little guide pieces. Some folks cut shallow grooves in the plug for the frames to rest rather than adding guide pieces. I found that the grooves were less happy to realize the frames when the boat is removed from the plug compared to the little guide pieces, but whatever works best for any individual is the way to go.

Once enough framing strips have been cut to length I place them in a tube or tall glass of water overnight. Holly takes an hour or less to be thoroughly saturated but better too long than too short in the water. As the boat narrows the length of the framing strips will be shorter but these can be trimmed as they are being set in place. Toe place the frame it is gently folded over the plug on a station line and the ends inserted into the alignment holes on the base board. I find it better to have the holes slightly undersized and trim/taper the ends of the framing strip so it is a tight fit. Alternatively they can be an easy fit and a dab of glue used to hold it in the holes. The former method is nice as the frames will be coming out of them more easily and the plug ready to use again if another boat is desired. The next photo has the first three full frames in place.
Plug in place and first frames temporarily mounted..JPG

This method of framing is applicable for building a fully framed full size ship in tiny scales. The below is the early stage of a framed model of HMS Boston (32) 1762 in scale 1:192

Framed hull on plug.JPG

The full frames are set in place and checked that they are evenly spaced and square. If the small guide pieces are used, this is no really an issue, but if they are not used, the frames can be a little fiddly. Once in their holes on the build board they should be checked before adding the keel. The photo below is a 23 foot launch at 1:48 scale showing the full frames in place.
5 Full frames in place.JPG

Unfortunately I did not take photos of the stem, rising wood, keel, deadwood, and stern post assembly. It can be seen in the drawing below and glued in place on the full frames in the photo below. Dimensions such as thickness for the pieces were taken from the scantlings. These pieces can be made with a coping saw, back saw, chisels and hobby knife.
Keel, stem, rising wood, and  deadwood.JPGFull frames set over plug with keel, stem, sternpost and deadwood.JPG

Last edited:
Back