Staff member
Forum Moderator

Some of the advantages of the gantry type of building board are:

1. Re-usability
2. Assess
3. Accuracy
4. Ease of use

1. Re-usability

After you have finished a model and want to start a new one all you must do is tape down the new framing plan and change the scales if required. I use architecture scales (US Imperial) and work to the actual ship dimensions. Different scales are posted in PDF format for
½” = 1’-0” – Scale 24
3/8” = 1’-0” – Scale 32, Vertical Scale 32
1/4” = 1’-0” – Scale 48, Vertical Scale 48
3/16” = 1’-0” – Scale 64, Vertical Scale 64

2. Access
In the past, I have had problems installing cant frames and working the stern section of a ship. The gantry makes things a lot easier to install with less alignment issues.

3. Accuracy
The horizontal scale is calibrated from the center line of the model and the vertical scales are very useful for locating deck clamps and other internal and external parts.

4. Ease of use
It is very easy to relocate the position of the gantry or move it out of the way of the place you are working.

The dimensions for the building board I made are:
Base 36x18x3/4” particle board
Top (2) 36x2 1/4x1/2”, (1) 36x12x1/2” particle board (2) 36X3/4x1/2” t-track aluminum
Pedestals base (2) 5x2 ½ x1/2” verticals 10x2 1/2x1/2 gussets (4) 2x1 ¼”
Knobs I used Woodpeckers plastic knob kit it consists of (4) knobs, bolts, washers
Assembly is very easy all the parts are glued together, I use Titebond 2.

Assemble Instructions:

The building board is two sections glued together.
1. The bottom section or Base will be one-piece 36x18x3/4” tk.
2. The top section consists of three pieces of particle board and the two t-track pieces. The center board is 36x12 x1/2” and is glued directly on top of the base. The two t-track pieces are screwed to the Base on each side of the top center board (the screws are included with the t-track). After the t-tracks are in place glue two pieces of particle board 36x2 1/4x1/2”one each on the outside of the t-track. When the building board is complete the dimensions should be 48x18x1 ¼” with the t-track flush with the top of the board.

IMG_1784.jpgIMG_1785.jpgIMG_1786.jpgIMG_1787.jpgIMG_1788.jpgIMG_1789.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mike

I know what my next building board is going to look like. I am already looking up parts

Cheers
Geoff

Brian

While you are building yours could you please build one for me.

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Geoff,
The reason I choose 3 feet for the length of the board was set for size limitation on the ships keel by my wife. She thinks anything over four-foot overall length is too big for the house.
Four-foot T-track is available if you want to go bigger.
Mike

Thanks Brian,
The Board dimensions and materials are a matter of personal preference. I went the most inexpensive route. The T-track system allows you to add special jigs for specific models as needed.
Mike

Many thanks for the update and the additional photos..... very good ideas..... I have to think about.... thanks

Hi All,

great idea. I want to know about the tolerances in the t-track. I think they can´t be zero. Is there any centering for the adjustment ? I think the middle of the ship and the 0 from the measering-tape can´t be equal without centering because the tolerances.

Thanks guys

Hello,I took some images from the Msb site about the gantry stile board

hum I went to MSB and typed in gantry gantry board, gantry jig and no results

I wanted to look nto its construction but can nor find enough information to actually create a kit for one

I wanted to look nto its construction but can nor find enough information to actually create a kit for one
Dave,I took the images from different build logs from Msb,lots of info,just by images you can create a kit

Hi Dave,
In my first post there is a list of parts and instructions on how to build the jig. What else do you need?
Mike

Back