Building Odysseus ship (A penteconter)

No, they cannot be classified as ancient - unique, yes, ancient, no. They originated during the Qing Dynasty in the late 18th century and were in use until "early new" China (1950's), being operated on the branches of the Pearl River Delta. I have always been fascinated by the Chinese Sampan and the Bai-ban is an extremely rare derivative of that. They were operated by the Tanka people of Southeast China (which in itself is an absolutely fascinating story). In fact, I was researching the Tanka people when stumbling - by pure chance - across the existence of the Bai-ban. Nowhere in China are there plans nor any historical records of this boat. What exist, is purely in the mind of the elder Tanka people and boatbuilders.

Thank you sir for all this fantastic and rare information, you have a very interesting project there!

I hope we are going to hear more of this in the near future.

Dear Messis - please call me Heinrich. I was very fortunate in that I made contact with a Chinese lady who is doing as part of her doctorate, a study on the Tanka Sampan at Southampton University in the UK. From the memory of the Tanka people, she has constructed line drawings and a very rudimentary 3D model of the ship which I will use as my basis. But first, I am going to finish the Leudo and then build another conventional Sampan as a practice run. The Bai-ban looks deceptively simple, but every single connection in the boat is a mortise-and-tenon joint.

This is ιστοδόκη (istodoki) the arrangement to store the mast as it was lowered when the ship was parked ashore.

Ιστό-ς =mast, δόκη from verb δέχομαι=accept

Modern greek = ιστοθήκη,

english = mast-holderaaaaa3.jpg

Last edited:
@Heinrich thenk you very much my friend

@DonRobinson If I understood you question... the yard is hanging on the mast from the stem side, why should it have been otherwise?

If you mean the pole on which supports the mast on the deck, then yes this is the way it was done... I believe so.... The mast was lowerd backwards to the stern side after it was disengaged from its place. The pole was securing the mast by rope when the mast was in place.

Last edited:
Congratulations also from my side - very well done Thumbsup
(especially the oars ;) - sorry for the small joke)

Now THAT ... ladies and gentlemen ... is one HECK of a beautiful build! Christos, my friend, you can be SO proud of her. That is truly something to be displayed - not only of what I would assume is your ancient heritage, but also because of your superb building skills!First Place Metal

Congrats on your accomplishment! Another model - another beauty to be proud of!! ...and many thanks for showing us this gorgeous model in the build log!!

Back