Bulkhead filler block

I’ve already picked up one of the soldering iron style benders… though after seeing mixed reviews on its quality, we’ll see how long it lasts. On this one, the primary planks are 2mm, and the outer planks are 0.6mm, so yeah, I’m aware that any defects in the prep work of the first layer are going to reflect right through the second layer because they’re so thin.
John Aliprantis has a series on this ship on his YT channel. While I’m not a huge fan of some of his styles, he at least has some sound info on the build. And binge watching Olha’s videos has helped a lot as well.
John’s series is great. They are both great and very helpful!

That looks good. I still may do the very nose section, but that’s a confidence boost. Not gonna lie, as a newb to this, it’s the planking part that has me a bit shaken. I’m just trying to mentally keep it as no different than doing flooring in a house… good subfloor prep is the key, then the flooring is nothing.
Right with you Frank on this portion of the build. I too am a little cautious on my next move when it comes to shaping the bulkheads & fitting the first plank layer. I've been doing plenty of research, watching John A. builds & just love watching Olha doing her builds.
I'll still use fillers on the very front of the bow.

My soldering iron-based bender from Model Shipways I have had and been using for more than a decade. Still works a treat!
A very versatile tool.
I also have the hot iron bender & have been practicing with it. I feel confident using it, it's the shaping of the hull/bulkheads that is slowing me down right now but that's OK. Like the sign says "proceed with caution"Cautious.

Double planking. First layer. No filler. Planks were heated in a steam box and formed in a jig before placing on the bulkheads. The model is the San Francisco II. However, my current build ( OcCre Nuestra Senora del Pilar) is single planked and I did use balsa filler blocks within the bow bulkheads. Shaped and sanded. And again, the hull planks were steam bent. ( Pictures are the SF II)View attachment 401002View attachment 401003View attachment 401004View attachment 401005View attachment 401006
Really like your work Phil & appreciate your opinion on the matter. I've been researching possably making a small steam bender. My brother is a cabinet maker who built one for bending the backs of Windsor chairs.

Really like your work Phil & appreciate your opinion on the matter. I've been researching possably making a small steam bender. My brother is a cabinet maker who built one for bending the backs of Windsor chairs.
You can buy a steamer, uses distilled water, from Woodcraft or Amazon. The box can be built from good old pine/fir. Then make a jig or form to clamp/pin the hot wood to at the curve you desire. Thinner is easier to bend but of course that makes sense huh?

Box16.jpgBox14.pg.jpgBox10.jpgBox7.jpgBox5.jpgBox2.jpg20210128_135711.jpg20210126_141458.jpgDSC_1903.JPG20210128_134708.jpg

20210128_135659.jpg20210126_160313.jpg

You can buy a steamer, uses distilled water, from Woodcraft or Amazon. The box can be built from good old pine/fir. Then make a jig or form to clamp/pin the hot wood to at the curve you desire. Thinner is easier to bend but of course that makes sense huh?

View attachment 401067View attachment 401068View attachment 401069View attachment 401070View attachment 401071View attachment 401072View attachment 401073View attachment 401074View attachment 401075View attachment 401076

View attachment 401077View attachment 401079
Ok, now you really got me thinking about building one. What is the interior length on yours? My plank strips are approx. 24" long so I'm thinking maybe 30"-36" for future considerations.
I like your peg board jig but I see you also made another type of form/jig that clamps the planks. are they both used for the same purpuse?
Also, I can see by using these jigs that you can get a more accurate bend which may alliviate the need for filler blocks.
Thanks again.....Al.

Ok, now you really got me thinking about building one. What is the interior length on yours? My plank strips are approx. 24" long so I'm thinking maybe 30"-36" for future considerations.
I like your peg board jig but I see you also made another type of form/jig that clamps the planks. are they both used for the same purpuse?
Also, I can see by using these jigs that you can get a more accurate bend which may alliviate the need for filler blocks.
Thanks again.....Al.
I think mine is 20 "....but I have a steam box that is over 6 feet long.... the form was cut to match the curve of the ship's bow. The pin board is adjusted to the curve you desire.DSCN0686.JPGDSC_1898.JPGIMG_1367.JPG

Last edited:
Double planking. First layer. No filler. Planks were heated in a steam box and formed in a jig before placing on the bulkheads. The model is the San Francisco II. However, my current build ( OcCre Nuestra Senora del Pilar) is single planked and I did use balsa filler blocks within the bow bulkheads. Shaped and sanded. And again, the hull planks were steam bent. ( Pictures are the SF II)View attachment 401002View attachment 401003View attachment 401004View attachment 401005View attachment 401006
my new computer is now nearly up and running. still a few problems with S.O.S, but it should be up on this
weekend

Back