CA glue sensitivity

Well, this sucks… I’ve discovered that I have developed a sensitivity to CA glue. Which manifests as contact dermatitis of my face and neck (skin itches and rash) as well as asthma. I’ve tried various brands of CA glue including the low odor varieties. I have tried various respirators and dust masks all with no effect.
Short of going to a PAPR type respirator do any of you have suggestions for other quick set glues or other ideas?

I also have CA glue allergies. I get cold like symptoms with runny nose and sore throat. I am not able to completely get rid of using CA glue so I do following:
- I substitute CA to epoxy glue whenever it is possible
- I dispense just a tiny drop of CA on a bottom of container and I close the container immediately after I pick a portion of a glue with toothpick for the application.
- I wear KN95 medical mask
- I open window in my room to create a draft
- I use CA glue with medium viscosity / thickness. I do not use highly volatile CA.

Hello
I was talking about this problem to the owner of de luxe adhesives.
He recommends having a bowl containing ordinary tap water close to your work bench.
Apparently the fumes etc from CA adhesives are attracted to the water.
I hope this helps.
John

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. For now I’m binning (or at least storing) the CA glues. I’ll stick with fast set PVA and epoxy. As my wife said, “It will make the model last longer since you must wait for glue to set before moving to the next piece.”:rolleyes:

Well it took me awhile to connect a sore throat and CA. I now use a small fan to create a draft across my work desk to blow the fumes away when using the CA.
This has made a big difference.

I also have a facial hive type allergy that I believe is not from the CA glue but from the accelerant. I used CA all my life with a dip stick type dropper to accelerate the bond. But, lately I was turning pens, my other wood hobby, and I started using a strong aerosol accelerant to cure the CA and developed a rash. I'm going to an allergist in a few weeks to get tested.

Here is the New Jersey Health information on CA glue sensitivity. https://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/1241.pdf

In most cases there are several methods you can take to reduce your reaction to chemicals that cause allergies:
1. substitute with another glue
2. use a vapor chemical gas mask when using allergenic chemical
3. avoid fumes by containing in a fume hood (box with exhaust fan to outside)
4. use fan to direct air flow away from you and outside (not just into the room)

That's all on my mind for now.

Thank you. I invested in an upgraded mask and no longer use the aerosol accelerant. Also, I improved my venting system. So far no issues but when possible I use alternative adhesives.

I also have to agree about the comment on the accellerator - that chemical is tough and worse than the CA. If you are using accellerator, then please stop that and use just the CA. If I get my face too close to CA, it will make my eyes burn. Its the fumes I think more than anything.
I am also thinking that the THICK CA is not as bad as the thinner stuff.
Interesting that they claim that all CA is the same, I have found that the HOBBY LOBBY brand (of what I use) does not have any affect on me.

I put 1 x small drop of CA onto wax paper then apply with either a toothpick or a cut-off needle. CA fumes result in my experiencing head cold/hangover symptoms so it's avoided unless absolutely necessary.

I have not had any skin issues with ca but with the thin stuff, sniffing it I have found is not a good idea. I work in 1 scale so toothpicks are not practocal but the capalary of the thin bond Is very useful, I work in a 20' x 40' shop but I do not recommend driving after long close use.

I've used some of the methods that users posted and it helps reduce eye burning. If you are having respiratory issues you will definitely want to switch to two-part epoxy. It makes a stronger bond in some cases but the huge downside is the wait times. 5-minute epoxy isn't so bad. Get it with separate tubes, it's much easier for small batches.

Hello
I was talking about this problem to the owner of de luxe adhesives.
He recommends having a bowl containing ordinary tap water close to your work bench.
Apparently the fumes etc from CA adhesives are attracted to the water.
I hope this helps.
John
Worth a try.
Also, it may be worth trying different brands. I've found that my sensitivity varies with the product. I get a really bad reaction to the cheap stuff from the two dollar shop but haven't had any trouble with the old Jet CAs. Lately I've found that Odorless Starbond doesn't seem to bother me.

I don't think there is a good alternative to CA for securing knots, but for attaching metal to wood epoxy is the best alternative. I've also had good luck with some red threadlockers which are odorless and don't cause any reaction.

I used and still using UHU Hart and PVA for my modelships (5 modelships until now). No problems at all.
CA based glue also makes alergy(Runny nose,throat sensitivity) by me.Whenever I have to use CA I use it by open air or at open window.One thing is sure CA is not healthy.

Worth a try.
Also, it may be worth trying different brands. I've found that my sensitivity varies with the product. I get a really bad reaction to the cheap stuff from the two dollar shop but haven't had any trouble with the old Jet CAs. Lately I've found that Odorless Starbond doesn't seem to bother me.

I don't think there is a good alternative to CA for securing knots, but for attaching metal to wood epoxy is the best alternative. I've also had good luck with some red threadlockers which are odorless and don't cause any reaction.
Thanks Thomas.
I am looking into trying a hot knife to sear poly rope ends… haven’t got one yet but I’m thinking it may be an alternative to CA glue.

Thanks Thomas.
I am looking into trying a hot knife to sear poly rope ends… haven’t got one yet but I’m thinking it may be an alternative to CA glue.
I used a hot knife for years working on sailboat rigging and later on commercial vessels — I still have one. They make a stink, and some smoke, but don’t know if they’d be considered fumes. I never seemed to have a problem. Worked out in a breeze when possible.

Back