CA micro droppers

Hello everybody,
Well, I see that almost all of you use specific fine tubing... I don't. Let me explain:
We all know how complicated is the use of CA; I also had my share of glued fingers, clogged fine tubing, brilliant glue stains on the model and so on...
Then I found out that the best solvent for CA is not the proposed by manufacturers "debonder" but acetone.
And one day a used hypodermic used syringe fell into my hands. When I saw the extreme thinness of the needle I said to myself "how could I reuse this perfect syringe?"
Here is how I proceed:
I place a small container of acetone close to my gluing position*
I pour 1 or 2 drops of CA in a piece of slightly drilled hard wood (oak or beech) see the attached picture
I clean with a soft cloth the mouth of the glue container and close it
I draw the liquid in the syringe and glue the prepared piece.
Then (if there is still glue in the syringe) I empty it back in the carved wood
And here is the trick: I immediately dip the syringe in the acetone and fill it and then empty it again in the acetone twice or three times.
Ending this process which has to be quick, I leave a little acetone in the syringe and I seal it with its original cap.
If you need extra small quantities of glue, flatten the tip of the needle.
* Remember that acetone is volatile and evaporates, therefore use a container that can be sealed air tight.
Now you will ask me where to find this kind of syringe... Make friends with your pharmacist!!!!
IMG_3653.jpg
I hope to have been of some help

Sorry I didn't mention that the syringe (hypodermic for anticoagulant) is made out of glass!!!!
So, acetone does not dissolve anything!!! This is the whole story... You have a syringe that can be reused
(almost indefinitely) if you take the steps I described.
I have (I am a very good friend with my pharmacist!) more than 50 of these syringes and up to now
I managed to destroy only 3 of them!!!! (by not doing the process quickly enough... but with experience, it does not happen any longer!!)
Try it you'll like it!!!!

In in reference to my previous post, here is the email address for the manufacturer of glue loopers. http://www.creativedynamicllc.com/the-glue-looper.html
I have tried the tips and always had trouble getting them to work. I’ve even tried to make my own out of Q-tips, and tried sewing needles with limited success. This tool works with capillary action, Similar, but much more effective than a sewing needle concept with the top of the eye cut off. They are reasonably priced, and fit into the end of the X-Acto knife handle.
Thank you for the tip. I’ve just ordered a set. I’ve been using toothpicks to apply the glue.

Jan

Sorry I didn't mention that the syringe (hypodermic for anticoagulant) is made out of glass!!!!
So, acetone does not dissolve anything!!! This is the whole story... You have a syringe that can be reused
(almost indefinitely) if you take the steps I described.
I have (I am a very good friend with my pharmacist!) more than 50 of these syringes and up to now
I managed to destroy only 3 of them!!!! (by not doing the process quickly enough... but with experience, it does not happen any longer!!)
Try it you'll like it!!!!
Ah, glass syringe - that makes sense. pretty rare to come across now in the UK medical world. Paraldehyde injection is the only use for them nowadays that I'm aware of, and you can get away with plastic for it if you're quick I believe!

Something else that may work that I haven't used for quite a while is adding the glue to an empty tablet or capsule blister foil.
I have used these to mix small amounts of paint and hold PVA on larger models and I suppose they can be used for CA.
The best thing is that they're cheap (or free) and there's no need to clean once you're finished with each blister- once every blister is used just throw it away.
View attachment 205967
I love the fact that someone has come up with a use for old blister packs; they always seem the most unrecyclable, useless piece of garbage!

Ah, glass syringe - that makes sense. pretty rare to come across now in the UK medical world. Paraldehyde injection is the only use for them nowadays that I'm aware of, and you can get away with plastic for it if you're quick I believe!
The ones I got are from CLEXANE 0,6 ml a common anticoagulant widely used with patients suffering from thrombosis. Besides it is cheap (at least here in Greece).
The thing is to find a pharmacist, a nurse or a doctor who will understand, once you explain the matter, that you are not sick!!!!

I bought the Glue Looper gizmos because I wanted more precise glue application on my models without leaving behind the shiny residue.
It hasn't worked too well for me because I used regular CA glue.
You really need the ultra thin CA to make it work better, so I suggest if you are going to buy the looper device that you also get the recommended glue found on their site.

How do you keep the fine tubing for cyanoacrylate placement free of blockage? Or are they so disposable as to get chucked after single use? I've glued my fingers together three times today trying to insert the tubes into the bottle nozzle and now the fingerprint recognition on my phone won't work!
I bought Zap micro tips. They pretty much stay clear but I insert a straight pin to keep it kind of sealed when not in use

Attachments

• 20210117_182433.jpg
    20210117_182433.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 5
Here's a new one for you! I have seen a web site where they used the CA in a syringe with a screw on metal tip (very small size). When it gets clogged, they hold a Bic lighter under the metal tip and burn the clogged CA out of it. I'e yet to give this a try but have been thinking about it. I use the plastic tips because they're cheap. I keep cutting them down then discard. I also use toothpicks. Good luck.

I just saw a video where they were making their own "precision applicators" for CA glue... all they did was take a plastic straw, heat with flame and pull until they achieved the desired diameter. Once cooled, they just cut it with x acto blade....Looks like it should work.... I'll try and report back....(they were speaking chinese, so who really knows)

I just saw a video where they were making their own "precision applicators" for CA glue... all they did was take a plastic straw, heat with flame and pull until they achieved the desired diameter. Once cooled, they just cut it with x acto blade....Looks like it should work.... I'll try and report back....(they were speaking chinese, so who really knows)
It is working fine, i used home-made precision applicators but you need to get a hold of the whole process: the correct heat, the stretching power, etc... so i ended up wasting 5 q-tips in order to get 5 good, useable. And since Amazon is selling them for 3 cents/item, it might not be worth spending time building its own applicators.. Just my few cents...

Ken, is this is the video you are referring to?

How do you keep the fine tubing for cyanoacrylate placement free of blockage? Or are they so disposable as to get chucked after single use? I've glued my fingers together three times today trying to insert the tubes into the bottle nozzle and now the fingerprint recognition on my phone won't work!
I have discovered using syringes and barrels the best ,you can pickup at your local pharmacy , 20 gauge barrels so they don't clog and 30 gauge to suck it up into the syringe, the white glue i put into a wet sponge for mosture aleays pulling back on the syringe, and the ca glue one standing up so the glue flows down the barrel into the syringe, and it does happen that the syringe, (needle)will block even with the barrel cover on but have no fear a little flame from a lighter fixes that problem

Attachments

• 20210118_114919.jpg
    20210118_114919.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 8
I have discovered using syringes and barrels the best ,you can pickup at your local pharmacy , 20 gauge barrels so they don't clog and 30 gauge to suck it up into the syringe, the white glue i put into a wet sponge for mosture aleays pulling back on the syringe, and the ca glue one standing up so the glue flows down the barrel into the syringe, and it does happen that the syringe, (needle)will block even with the barrel cover on but have no fear a little flame from a lighter fixes that problem

OK, after all this chat about the subject, let us summarize some facts:
Loopers, micro applicators, micro tips are but only eventually reusable.
I am not "rich" and I believe that most of us are not! Therefore reusable material is of utmost importance!
The solution I mentioned in this thread is for those who need an "almost" permanent one.
I do not pretend to have the best one!!! No
But at least it is cheap and for long term use! And not the least a very successful result!
I dare you to find a glue stain on the attached picture (scale 1:50)
(all metal parts have been glued with my method)
IMG-3459.jpgIMG-3459.jpg

I bought the Glue Looper gizmos because I wanted more precise glue application on my models without leaving behind the shiny residue.
It hasn't worked too well for me because I used regular CA glue.
You really need the ultra thin CA to make it work better, so I suggest if you are going to buy the looper device that you also get the recommended glue found on their site.

I agree they recommend Mercury brand. It dries great and holds better than zap IMO. And the bottle seals well and wipes up clean. No clogs and I’ve had it over a year.

Back