Cactus model Q1 plus mini tug - converted into a norwegian fishing boat

i just couple of days got my hands on this cute little rc boat kit. it is half wood, half plastic. i am of course not going to build it out of the box - i will make some modifications on the design to make it into a caricature version of a norwegian fishing boat. let us see what i can come up with! more photos to follow on upcoming days. this will be a slow project.

Attachments

• 20210108_145819.jpg
    20210108_145819.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 10
This will get a fun-project - for you and also us
:cool:

I made a quick 'n dirty sketch of what this thing might look like when done. it is gonna require quite a lot of modifications and hack & slash on the hull. probably the nose needs to go a slight bit more forwards to have enough room for battery etc. inside.

Attachments

• IMG_20210113_183815.jpg
    IMG_20210113_183815.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 13
I'll be watching your build with great interest. I've been looking for plans for a tug/mini tug to scratch build and have been looking all over the internet for free plans. Most of the plans I find are RC plans and I have no interest in the RC world. I finished the Manuta 738 Victory... very big. Looking for something much, much smaller. If I find a good set of plans of a tug, I'll probably just compress the length to model a mini tug. Good luck with your build!

Last edited:
Here are images of the kit parts. hull is mainly wood, while the steering hut and gunwales are plastic, as well as axle housing and rudder. i will use only the plastic cabin and the small gittings on cabin roof, i will make a new deck from probably plywood, and new gunwales, but i'm not yet sure if they will be wood or plastic yet.
IMG_20210115_193149.jpgIMG_20210115_193313.jpgIMG_20210115_193621.jpgIMG_20210115_193910.jpgIMG_20210115_194009.jpgIMG_20210115_194058.jpg

Got some more bodywork done, and glued on the bow. it's overly long, i'll cut it to size when i get the bottom of the hull, main deck and the front former and deck glued in. i also glued two support beams next to the bow for the front hull sides to attach to, they will be glued in tomorrow.i don't mind too much about the look of the fuselage's outer sides, as they will be covered with planking later on.
IMG_20210118_223940.jpg

Bottom plate, bow panels & Propeller shaft tunnel/keel and rudder glued in, next to make theglue seams watertight with epoxy. then i can make the two nose formers for front deck, but can't glue them in yet. then i have to wait until i get back to my home in Oulu to be able to glue the deck on as i have to install the servo and motor beforehand.
IMG_20210120_122148.jpgIMG_20210120_122141.jpg

this project got a bit lost because of a move, and also my life changed a wee bit when my better 3/4ths moved in to live with me. along came a flock of zebra finches (part thieves) too. Now i have found my ship kits again, and i will try to spend some time in this lovely hobby again! i dug out this kit two weeks ago and i will start working on it when i return home again (i am on work/holiday trip in Norway at the moment). i also ordered the billing boats nordlandsbåt, as i am still very unsure as of how shall i set forth with rhe wisløff kit, but i keenly want to build one of them. Speaking of the devil, i found this beauty in a harbor near Narvik!

IMG_20230703_234917.jpg

this project got a bit lost because of a move, and also my life changed a wee bit when my better 3/4ths moved in to live with me. along came a flock of zebra finches (part thieves) too. Now i have found my ship kits again, and i will try to spend some time in this lovely hobby again! i dug out this kit two weeks ago and i will start working on it when i return home again (i am on work/holiday trip in Norway at the moment). i also ordered the billing boats nordlandsbåt, as i am still very unsure as of how shall i set forth with rhe wisløff kit, but i keenly want to build one of them. Speaking of the devil, i found this beauty in a harbor near Narvik!

View attachment 383693
Good to hear, that you are fine - no problem with a longer break with modeling and also the forum.
I think that 99% of us had some of these periods without modeling - other things have priority

Back