Discussion Can You Ever Have Too Many Scale Modeling Tools?

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

1698330162526.png
Raise your hand if you have tools in your shipyard, that you have barely used or never used.

*Sheepishly raises hand*

Who hasn’t amassed a collection of books, paint, and tools? There’s probably some formula or algorithm hardwired into our brains that triggered a valet event to spend more on tools we may never use. Let’s face it, if you’re like most of us (modelers) you’re someone addicted to be a hoarder. Your stash of kits is likely to consist of more kits than you could ever build in your lifetime! This predisposition to acquire more isn’t just limited to kits. It also applies to modeling tools and everything related.
Can you ever have too many modeling tools? I’ll answer that with a resounding NO! Like model kits, once you find a manufacturer who produces the kits in the quality you desire, you tend to purchase almost everything they make. The same holds true with tools.

As a modeler and closet hoarder of all things in our wonderful hobby. I often have had extra tools in my stash. You never know when having a backup pair might be necessary…and having a backup pair to the backup is okay too.

So, what do you think my fellow modelers? Remember, we will not discuss and compare the tools and their brands or purposes here. The subject of discussion here: Can You Ever Have Too Many Scale Modeling Tools?

Don't be shy...we need your input...

Raise your hand if you have tools in your shipyard, that you have barely used or never used.

*Sheepishly raises hand*

Who hasn’t amassed a collection of books, paint, and tools? There’s probably some formula or algorithm hardwired into our brains that triggered a valet event to spend more on tools we may never use. Let’s face it, if you’re like most of us (modelers) you’re someone addicted to be a hoarder. Your stash of kits is likely to consist of more kits than you could ever build in your lifetime! This predisposition to acquire more isn’t just limited to kits. It also applies to modeling tools and everything related.
Can you ever have too many modeling tools? I’ll answer that with a resounding NO! Like model kits, once you find a manufacturer who produces the kits in the quality you desire, you tend to purchase almost everything they make. The same holds true with tools.

As a modeler and closet hoarder of all things in our wonderful hobby. I often have had extra tools in my stash. You never know when having a backup pair might be necessary…and having a backup pair to the backup is okay too.

So, what do you think my fellow modelers? Remember, we will not discuss and compare the tools and their brands or purposes here. The subject of discussion here: Can You Ever Have Too Many Scale Modeling Tools?

Hej Jimmi, hear is one that does not agree with you. As I am one of the realold guys - I have always have a minimum of Toos, as when I started, there were nearly nothing. many tools I got from the plast industry. My 1Th electrical tool was a Proxcon, which I got as a birthday gift from my mother in 1998. Since then I have only had Dremels -with the right assesorry- but no Lathe, , nor fraeser, thinner of wood etc. To me buying the laytest tool , of vwhic you use a few times under yur build -like getting the latests smartphone.
I have seen atleast one member complaning about shipbuilding hobby is very expensive, to which I will answer back, it IS NOT MORE EXPENSIVE as you wants. Just ask Calibibot about his tooL
SO JIMMEI I DO NOT AGREE

03-BAC TOOLS-048.jpg

03-BAC TOOLS-040.jpg

03-BAC TOOLS-039.jpg

132- PROF TOOL.jpg

056--WORK.jpg

AA-02-WORKSHOPS-111 (6).jpg

Hej Jimmi, hear is one that does not agree with you. As I am one of the realold guys - I have always have a minimum of Toos, as when I started, there were nearly nothing. many tools I got from the plast industry. My 1Th electrical tool was a Proxcon, which I got as a birthday gift from my mother in 1998. Since then I have only had Dremels -with the right assesorry- but no Lathe, , nor fraeser, thinner of wood etc. To me buying the laytest tool , of vwhic you use a few times under yur build -like getting the latests smartphone.
I have seen atleast one member complaning about shipbuilding hobby is very expensive, to which I will answer back, it IS NOT MORE EXPENSIVE as you wants. Just ask Calibibot about his tooL
SO JIMMEI I DO NOT AGREE

View attachment 402491

View attachment 402497

View attachment 402507

View attachment 402508

View attachment 402509

View attachment 402525
THE FIRST 3 IMAGES WAS MY TOOLS- MORE AND LESS. Most other tools have standing a Long time without any, except getting dusty PS: I have just got a Brand new Computar, but it is not fully configurated-ex the spelling program- sorry

SO JIMMEI I DO NOT AGREE

View attachment 402491

View attachment 402497

View attachment 402507

View attachment 402508

View attachment 402509

View attachment 402525
You have a 'Proxxon' shop. ;)

You have a 'Proxxon' shop. ;)

THE FIRST 3 IMAGES WAS MY TOOLS- MORE AND LESS. The other images are from other builders Most other tools have standing a Long time without any, except getting dusty PS: I have just got a Brand new Computer, but it is not fully configurated-ex the spelling program- sorry
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the other images are not mine, but examples I found on the net. I changed to Dremel later on_ had 4, one vertical, one used horizontal and finally two battery-drivin ones, each with an extra battery.

Last edited:
SO JIMMEI I DO NOT AGREE

View attachment 402491

View attachment 402497

View attachment 402507

View attachment 402508

View attachment 402509

View attachment 402525
wow! Now that is a workshop!

*Sheepishly raises hand*

I have to confess that I am a tool addict. Also books and paint. I love power tools and the precision that goes with them. I have to get better at making jigs, though. For example I purchased this tool from AL that makes a pattern on copper tape to simulate treenails. A jig will be required to steady my hand when rolling the tool on the tape. So what I am saying is safety first, then proper tool then jig. They all go hand in hand, in my opinion.

Oh I should also mention that I am amassing a collection of kits as well. I like kit bashing, but scratch building is too expensive here in Canada. You just can't find everything you need here.

You can never have too many tools, because there is that once in a lifetime task you will need a certain tool for.

Yes, I am a Tool-aholic, but I will not enter the 12 step program, I will admit and buy more.

I often get to dig into an old toolbox of tool I inherited from my father when he passed few years back.

You can never have too many tools, because there is that once in a lifetime task you will need a certain tool for.

Yes, I am a Tool-aholic, but I will not enter the 12 step program, I will admit and buy more.

I often get to dig into an old toolbox of tool I inherited from my father when he passed few years back.
I cannot let my wife see this posting........

I’m afraid that I fall into the tool addict category.
What would help us addicts is if people on this forum would quit posting about new tools or gadgets they just purchased as that tips me into the gotta have it category. :)

Just kiddin’ folks, keep posting as I still have some of my kid’s future inheritance left.

I’m afraid that I fall into the tool addict category.
What would help us addicts is if people on this forum would quit posting about new tools or gadgets they just purchased as that tips me into the gotta have it category. :)

Just kiddin’ folks, keep posting as I still have some of my kid’s future inheritance left.
The addiction to buying New tools is not the same as you would buy, let's say a new hobby knife, which has the same purpose as the other 5 you already have, but... it has a durable and ergonomic handle. Can you justify a purchase?

Last edited:
i think that is a smart investment because everything is now made cheaply and you need backups of everything. As an example, I have one of those desktop CNC engraving machines and the spindle looks cheap so I have two spares for it.
Well Jack I have to disagree with you. Yes there are cheaply made tools however, it's always been my experience that one gets what he pays for and due diligence is required on the part of the purchaser when buying anything. Case in point is my desktop CNC which has been flawless in the seven years I've had it. Cheap no, expensive yes as I have over 9k invested in just the machine.
Also, it depends on proper use of any tool. Screw drivers are meant to drive screws not be used as pry bars. Overloading is another issue with these small "Hobbist" machine tools such as lathes mills etc. You can't expect to take cuts on these small machines that you would on a 10hp machine.
Bottom line is if I can't afford quality tools I don't buy a "cheap" one as a substitute.

Well Jack I have to disagree with you. Yes there are cheaply made tools however, it's always been my experience that one gets what he pays for and due diligence is required on the part of the purchaser when buying anything. Case in point is my desktop CNC which has been flawless in the seven years I've had it. Cheap no, expensive yes as I have over 9k invested in just the machine.
Also, it depends on proper use of any tool. Screw drivers are meant to drive screws not be used as pry bars. Overloading is another issue with these small "Hobbist" machine tools such as lathes mills etc. You can't expect to take cuts on these small machines that you would on a 10hp machine.
Bottom line is if I can't afford quality tools I don't buy a "cheap" one as a substitute.
I unfortunately don't have that luxury. The stores around here don't carry other than your standard cheap stuff and ordering online is expensive. so I wind up have duplicates of certain tools, like screwdrivers, for example.

I agree with you about the small machines and that you are not dealing with an industrial lathe, for example. Fortunately I work only with wood and I don't have any interest in working with metal.

Back