Discussion Can You Ever Have Too Many Scale Modeling Tools?

I unfortunately don't have that luxury. The stores around here don't carry other than your standard cheap stuff and ordering online is expensive. so I wind up have duplicates of certain tools, like screwdrivers, for example.

I agree with you about the small machines and that you are not dealing with an industrial lathe, for example. Fortunately I work only with wood and I don't have any interest in working with metal.
Pretty much the same.

Raise your hand if you have tools in your shipyard, that you have barely used or never used.

*Sheepishly raises hand*

Who hasn’t amassed a collection of books, paint, and tools? There’s probably some formula or algorithm hardwired into our brains that triggered a valet event to spend more on tools we may never use. Let’s face it, if you’re like most of us (modelers) you’re someone addicted to be a hoarder. Your stash of kits is likely to consist of more kits than you could ever build in your lifetime! This predisposition to acquire more isn’t just limited to kits. It also applies to modeling tools and everything related.
Can you ever have too many modeling tools? I’ll answer that with a resounding NO! Like model kits, once you find a manufacturer who produces the kits in the quality you desire, you tend to purchase almost everything they make. The same holds true with tools.

As a modeler and closet hoarder of all things in our wonderful hobby. I often have had extra tools in my stash. You never know when having a backup pair might be necessary…and having a backup pair to the backup is okay too.

So, what do you think my fellow modelers? Remember, we will not discuss and compare the tools and their brands or purposes here. The subject of discussion here: Can You Ever Have Too Many Scale Modeling Tools?

Don't be shy...we need your input...
I sorted out my bench and had over 20 pairs of rigging scissors, 40 scalpels, and 30 or more types of tweezers! So guilty.

If one considers the expense of many other activies: club membership for golf, yachting, squash etc (and the associated bats) or the cost of tying to enhance one's image with fancy watches and designer sunglasses then treating oneself to a new Dremel accessory to assist model making seems fairly justifiable.

As long as one doesn't spend more time amassing, organizing and admiring his tools than using them to work on a model, it's okay. If not, you're more of a collector than a builder. There is no harm in that however. Likewise many readers have become book collectors. These two states of being naturally fit together.

Last edited:
As long as one doesn't spend more time with amassing, organizing and admiring his tools than using them to work on a model, it's okay. If not, you're more of a collector than a builder. There is no harm in that however. Likewise many readers have become book collectors. These two states of being naturally fit together.
I wouldn't entirely draw the same analogy with collecting books. Some books can have a value greater than most expensive tools. Over time, the tool lost its value, while some books only gained.
But I agree with you, as long as the tools are in use, it doesn't matter how many you may have. ;)

I wouldn't entirely draw the same analogy with collecting books. Some books can have a value greater than most expensive tools. Over time, the tool lost its value, while some books only gained.
But I agree with you, as long as the tools are in use, it doesn't matter how many you may have. ;)
Of course there's a rule for seemingly needless tools. In order to need a tool, get rid of it.

This is true if the collecting of books is sensibly motivated by the future value. This however is not the case for all, or even most book collectors.
Moreover it doesn't make any difference in regard to the original phenomenon, namely, the transformation from builder/reader to collector, apart from the question whether it is a justifiable or even deliberate move or not.

Last edited:
Wow! What beautiful workshops!
Do you really want to get them dirty?

To my mind : answer is no.

Why - I make tools, jigs … for each model.
Even the drills : rake to ….

Various scales - needs them.
Wood or metal need the point end to be different.
You evolve as you make / problem solve.
Skills develop that you use your eye and correctness of the blade, to cut.

Basics (tools) to my mind - you must have…
Even then
The really gifted can work on a kitchen table and produce models I can only dream of, seen it.

The old cabinet in the corner with one Unimate lathe with self made attachments …. to shooting boards, plane and carving knives etc…

Hide glues to old rulers made of box wood.
Scrap box’s …

It’s not the tools but pure craftsmen skills.

Yes - they can time save, if you know.

If you want a 25th Century, machine model : it’s your choice.

Personally I stoped entering the world Model engineering show, after I got a Highly Commended piece of paper. The top slot went to machine.
There was a :-
A man who made using only basic tools like file, hammer, scrapper, hand drills etc …took years to make. He was highly commended but a machine beat him.
After a lot of us complained! The judges refused.

So me and a lot of modellers gave back our awards / stopped entering / wrote to HRH and ….

So
Did the old ships of old have CNC, CAD etc?
Ever tried to draw in ink, set square or mathematically work out takings or curvature etc… it was called technical drawing in my day.

My ships / boats and others from old who used their skills working with living materials - even metal has a life… I made scrolling irons out of BMS to copper spinning … to making a barrel as a copper did.

My opinion …. Yes to tools / jigs but….
More important is your model shows feelings, conveys a inner art ….. to the brutality of war … and more.
Enhance living past but not forget our forefathers used their hands.

Bone ships - saw a man carve to boil the correct type of bone. Awesome - to card models and that woman who uses Lino :)

Political correctness in this now era, world, I’m not but I apologies to those women who I have seen have the spirt / craftsmanship skills. But a minority is there. I acknowledge them.

...and then, of course, there was John Henry...:rolleyes:
(Hammer v. steam drill, in the BIg Bend Tunnel on the C&O road ca. 1870 something.)

Last edited:
This may sound morbid, but as a member of a ship modeling club mostly populated by older guys who die, and whose relatives want to get rid of their tools, kits, supplies and books, I've acquired lots of duplicate and triplicate stuff because they were cheap. I've acquired 9 sets of mini files, 7 pin vices, and a gazillion clamps of all types and sizes. I have even acquired tools I've never identified purpose or how they work - see photo attachedIMG_3502.JPG.

This may sound morbid, but as a member of a ship modeling club mostly populated by older guys who die, and whose relatives want to get rid of their tools, kits, supplies and books, I've acquired lots of duplicate and triplicate stuff because they were cheap. I've acquired 9 sets of mini files, 7 pin vices, and a gazillion clamps of all types and sizes. I have even acquired tools I've never identified purpose or how they work - see photo attachedView attachment 403070.
Can never have enough clamps.

This may sound morbid, but as a member of a ship modeling club mostly populated by older guys who die, and whose relatives want to get rid of their tools, kits, supplies and books, I've acquired lots of duplicate and triplicate stuff because they were cheap. I've acquired 9 sets of mini files, 7 pin vices, and a gazillion clamps of all types and sizes. I have even acquired tools I've never identified purpose or how they work - see photo attachedView attachment 403070.
The tool on the left with the blue handle is a latch hook for making hooked rugs. It is sad that I know that.

Back