Capt. John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nikitin 1/32 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Sometimes I need smaller clamps. I remember reading on SoS that someone used alligator clips and smashed down the teeth. Should work fine for tight places.
IMG_0603.jpg

Working on finishing up the boat and about to move on to the mast. First I needed to finish the rudder. Not so elegant, and I had to deviate a little from what Olha did in her video, but it works.
IMG_0605.jpgIMG_0604.jpgIMG_0607.jpg

And almost ready to move on the the mast and rigging.
IMG_0606.jpg

Finished the sides rudders (not sure what they're called, anyone know?) and am preparing to mount the mast. Mast and yard have 2 coats of Tung oil. The blocks are sanded, stained with black Minwax, and given a coat of varnish. Standing rigging is ready once I mount the mast. Then I'll attach the blocks.
IMG_0616.jpeg
IMG_0617.jpeg
IMG_0620.jpeg
IMG_0621.jpeg

Really happy with the way this lantern turned out. I wasn't sure how I was going to paint this plastic piece to look realistic. But I ended up using water color paints. I started with a base of bronze, then painted over with black. Looks really nice. Not sure if I should coat it with something to protect it. I like the way it looks and don't want to make it glossy.
IMG_0714.jpeg

Sails are ready for the bolt rope. I didn't like the material that came with the kit, so I opted for cotton. The cloth I chose is from a kitchen dish rag that my wife's grandmother had probably 60 years ago. She was the greatest grandma ever! And I'm really happy that something from her is a part of this build.
IMG_0720.jpeg

Also ready to sew the earrings (?) to the sail and bolt rope. For the bolt rope, I'm using a pretty thick waxed thread from a sewing awl. Should give some structure to the sails.
IMG_0715.jpegIMG_0716.jpeg

Main sail with reefing lines in place.
IMG_0730.jpeg
Jib is ready to be billowed and attached after I finish the main sail. Not my best work and I didn't follow exactly what Olha did, but then again I don't have her skills.
IMG_0731.jpegIMG_0732.jpegIMG_0733.jpegIMG_0734.jpeg

Sails are drying! I used brass rods to affix the straight edges and tied off the lines. I used starch on the sails and sandwich bags filled with water to give the appearance of wind in the sails, and separated it with a plastic sheet barrier. Should know in the morning if it works, I used a lot of starch so it might take a while to dry.
IMG_0744.jpegIMG_0745.jpegIMG_0747.jpegIMG_0748.jpegIMG_0749.jpeg

Sails are drying! I used brass rods to affix the straight edges and tied off the lines. I used starch on the sails and sandwich bags filled with water to give the appearance of wind in the sails, and separated it with a plastic sheet barrier. Should know in the morning if it works, I used a lot of starch so it might take a while to dry.
View attachment 388272View attachment 388273View attachment 388274View attachment 388275View attachment 388276
Good morning. I played some catch up this morning with your build. This is beautiful and wonderfully modelled. Excellent work. Cheers Grant

Back