Cazador Xebec 1750 - OcCre - scale 1:60 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Well guys,

The rigging of the main sail is done, it was a race against the clock but it's done before my vacations starts (tomorrow) After my vacation I can start on the Mizzen mast / sail.

[IMG]

[IMG]
Good morning Peter. I’m always a fan of seeing pictures of the whole ship. I know we loose all that marvellous detail you meticulously included but now see how beautiful your Xebec is. Enjoy your Holiday- I’m jealous I think I need a vacation too:D. Cheers Grant

Hi Guys,

I'm back from my short leave and vacation. I'm working on a new update where I shaped and placed the sail and mizzenyard, so stay tuned!
I have a lot of catching up to do in all of the buildlogs here on SOS, what I will do first.

regards,
Peter

Hi Guys,

I'm back from my short leave and vacation. I'm working on a new update where I shaped and placed the sail and mizzenyard, so stay tuned!
I have a lot of catching up to do in all of the buildlogs here on SOS, what I will do first.

regards,
Peter
Good morning Peter….cannot wait for your next update:D. Cheers Grant

The final chapter....

Hello everybody,

As you can see this will be the last building chapter of this model. She is finished! It has been a journey and the end is a bit bittersweet. Sure I'm proud I finished this model and the way it came out, but on the other hand it was a real joy to work on her and by finishing the build, this stops...
However, it's not entirely finished, I still need to make a presentable stand and a complete photoshoot has to be done as well. This is for later...
For now let me take you on the final steps of the build of the mizzenmast, sail and rigging.

After sewing on the boltrope, I attached the sail to her yard. While under tension, I used boiled potato starch on the cloth and some sugar in a plastic bag to bring the sail to shape. It takes about 12-24 hours to dry and then the sail holds it's final shape.

photo 586146

photo 586147

To hoist the yard, I needed to fabricate the ramshead blocks. In this case this was not an easy job to do. On this scale 1:60, they are really, really small and I wanted to make these blocks the same as the others. So with working sheeves and all......
The upper block is 2mm in width, with sheeves of 2mm in diameter and 0,5mm thick. Again the process is similair as the other blocks and are made out of laminated 0.5mm veneer strips.

photo 586138

photo 586137

When a knife is sharp enough, slices can be cut of the upper block to get to the right size.

photo 586140

photo 586141

I somehow lost the photo of the final product, ah well....they are the same as the others but smaller. Here you see them installed on the ship.

photo 586142

While working on the ship all kinds of hazards and dangers came up her path. In this case a big black and white one who seems to love attention and playing with scale ropes..... No worries, we are good friends and we have a very good mutual understanding. Touching the ship shortens lifes rapidly....

photo 586148

photo 586136

photo 586134

photo 586139

Some kitparts are not needed anymore and are thrown into the bin....

photo 586135

Back on rigging....The principle of the mizzenyard / sail is the same as the two others, however the masthead contains only two sheeves instead of four. Both are used to hoist the yard. Also the parrel is different and much easier constructed. In this case only the trunks (beads) are used. The end of the parrel is tied off beneath the mast foot.

photo 586151

photo 586149

photo 586144

photo 586145

photo 586143

photo 586150

And then the end result. So a final photoshoot will occur soon, but in the mean time this is how she looks!

photo 586152

photo 586153

photo 586154

I have tried to push my limits with the construction of this ship and can say that I succeeded. Pretty much everything about the kit has been changed and I can easily estimate a little over 2500 hours of work that went into this model. Not all hours are construction hours. I suspect I've spent over 250 hours of research and study just trying to figure out specifics about this type of ship. Unfortunately, generalities are known, but the details are missing from these types of ships and there is also very little documentation to be found. Everything is made by hand, the carvings of course gives an extra special character to this ship. The sails and rigging are fully in accordance with a famous French Xebec from the 18th century called Le Requin, the museum model Singe of 1762. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_xebec_Singe_(1762)

I am also very happy and blessed with you guys as followers who have accompanied and assisted me on this adventure. Thank you so much for the interest, reactions, likes, loves and especially support. My gratitude to you all is not easily expressed in words but I wish I meet you guys all one day in person and shake your hand and have a chat about this great hobby of ours. Thank you!!!

I hope you will follow me again on the next journey. I have already done a lot of research for this model and that project will also be quite a challenge.

The next update will be a photoshoot with a lot of pictures....

The end.

Peter

Thanks for sharing this build, it was very exited to follow. And congratulations with this beautiful ship, with magnificent sails and rigging.

And can I say that you have an ugly looking cat ROTF she looks like that she just eat a lot of mushrooms.

Oh what a beauty!!!

Peter I would like to congratulate you on this wonderful build, every single hour of research and construction is reflected in the Xebeck. Hats off to you for this achievement, you can be justifiably proud of your work.
Thumbsup Bottle

Ps: I think the cat is cool

The final chapter....

Hello everybody,

As you can see this will be the last building chapter of this model. She is finished! It has been a journey and the end is a bit bittersweet. Sure I'm proud I finished this model and the way it came out, but on the other hand it was a real joy to work on her and by finishing the build, this stops...
However, it's not entirely finished, I still need to make a presentable stand and a complete photoshoot has to be done as well. This is for later...
For now let me take you on the final steps of the build of the mizzenmast, sail and rigging.

After sewing on the boltrope, I attached the sail to her yard. While under tension, I used boiled potato starch on the cloth and some sugar in a plastic bag to bring the sail to shape. It takes about 12-24 hours to dry and then the sail holds it's final shape.

photo 586146

photo 586147

To hoist the yard, I needed to fabricate the ramshead blocks. In this case this was not an easy job to do. On this scale 1:60, they are really, really small and I wanted to make these blocks the same as the others. So with working sheeves and all......
The upper block is 2mm in width, with sheeves of 2mm in diameter and 0,5mm thick. Again the process is similair as the other blocks and are made out of laminated 0.5mm veneer strips.

photo 586138

photo 586137

When a knife is sharp enough, slices can be cut of the upper block to get to the right size.

photo 586140

photo 586141

I somehow lost the photo of the final product, ah well....they are the same as the others but smaller. Here you see them installed on the ship.

photo 586142

While working on the ship all kinds of hazards and dangers came up her path. In this case a big black and white one who seems to love attention and playing with scale ropes..... No worries, we are good friends and we have a very good mutual understanding. Touching the ship shortens lifes rapidly....

photo 586148

photo 586136

photo 586134

photo 586139

Some kitparts are not needed anymore and are thrown into the bin....

photo 586135

Back on rigging....The principle of the mizzenyard / sail is the same as the two others, however the masthead contains only two sheeves instead of four. Both are used to hoist the yard. Also the parrel is different and much easier constructed. In this case only the trunks (beads) are used. The end of the parrel is tied off beneath the mast foot.

photo 586151

photo 586149

photo 586144

photo 586145

photo 586143

photo 586150

And then the end result. So a final photoshoot will occur soon, but in the mean time this is how she looks!

photo 586152

photo 586153

photo 586154

I have tried to push my limits with the construction of this ship and can say that I succeeded. Pretty much everything about the kit has been changed and I can easily estimate a little over 2500 hours of work that went into this model. Not all hours are construction hours. I suspect I've spent over 250 hours of research and study just trying to figure out specifics about this type of ship. Unfortunately, generalities are known, but the details are missing from these types of ships and there is also very little documentation to be found. Everything is made by hand, the carvings of course gives an extra special character to this ship. The sails and rigging are fully in accordance with a famous French Xebec from the 18th century called Le Requin, the museum model Singe of 1762. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_xebec_Singe_(1762)

I am also very happy and blessed with you guys as followers who have accompanied and assisted me on this adventure. Thank you so much for the interest, reactions, likes, loves and especially support. My gratitude to you all is not easily expressed in words but I wish I meet you guys all one day in person and shake your hand and have a chat about this great hobby of ours. Thank you!!!

I hope you will follow me again on the next journey. I have already done a lot of research for this model and that project will also be quite a challenge.

The next update will be a photoshoot with a lot of pictures....

The end.

Peter
Congratulations, Peter. A wonderful model, ready to show the 30th in Amsterdam. You can be proud of this result.
Regards, Peter

I think we can consider to be the lucky forum to have very skilled modelers among whom is your name, Peter. I would like to thank you for the chance to follow your build log, and share your knowledge with us!
Congratulations on your fine accomplishment and one-of-a-kind model! She looks beautiful across the board, but the rigging and sails look realistic to compliment the hull work.

I hope you will take a short break (?) before starting another journey so we can have another chance along with you, full of fun and enjoyment!

Congratulations on finishing this marvelous model. Great work on the sails and further details.
She has turned out great and deserves a nice, safe place to be exhibited. The black and white one looks mean and ready to strike.
Congratulations for finishing this great model - BRAVO - very well done
I am looking forard to see the final photo report showing your amazing model :cool:
Thanks for sharing this build, it was very exited to follow. And congratulations with this beautiful ship, with magnificent sails and rigging.

And can I say that you have an ugly looking cat ROTF she looks like that she just eat a lot of mushrooms.
Oh what a beauty!!!

Peter I would like to congratulate you on this wonderful build, every single hour of research and construction is reflected in the Xebeck. Hats off to you for this achievement, you can be justifiably proud of your work.
Thumbsup Bottle

Ps: I think the cat is cool
Congratulations, Peter. A wonderful model, ready to show the 30th in Amsterdam. You can be proud of this result.
Regards, Peter
Congratulations Peter. She's a real beauty. All those hundreds of hours paid off. Also so much knowledge and tutorials in this build log.
Hats off and congratulations againThumbs-Up
Dear Peter
Congratulations on finishing this beautiful model. you have done wonderful work on the sails. you can be proud on your self Thumbsup Thumbsup :)
I think we can consider to be the lucky forum to have very skilled modelers among whom is your name, Peter. I would like to thank you for the chance to follow your build log, and share your knowledge with us!
Congratulations on your fine accomplishment and one-of-a-kind model! She looks beautiful across the board, but the rigging and sails look realistic to compliment the hull work.

I hope you will take a short break (?) before starting another journey so we can have another chance along with you, full of fun and enjoyment!
Peter, I have so enjoyed peaking over your shoulder during this build. Each step was lovingly rendered and you can see the passion and skill everywhere you look. All the handmade bits and baubles created with a strict adherence to scale is my favorite aspect of your ship. Respect.

Hi guys, thank you very much for all the nice warm comments and replies. I'm a bit overwhelmed....
To answer a few questions.
- The cat isn't the prettiest, but he makes it up by his very gentle personality. The kids love him...
- I will give her a nice place, I just haven't found the right place yet. To be continued so to say.
- Yes, I will bring her to the Amsterdam meeting. I have to figure out how to safely transport her in my car....
- I will have a short break, this is really being appreciated by the Admiral, but I'm already working on / studying my next project.

Peter

Back