Cazador Xebec - OcCre 1:60 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Dean this is absolute beautiful eye candy. The standard ties in beautifully with the overall look of the ship and accentuates and contrasts the hull in just the right ration! Very well done!

I want to talk about rope for a minute. For those of you who may build this ship, the supplied rope is not enough!

This is what they give you, plus one more roll of the .15 rope that was used up by the time I finished all the shroud lines!

they tell you to use the .15 rope for mast wooldings...I chose to use the above waxed black rope for the masts and bow sprit wooldings.
Even then I’m almost out of the .15 rope that I need for the yard wooldings. There won’t be enough left to do everything else at that point.
They want you to use that for all the running rigging on the sails and yards!
I chose to use white rope for the sails running rigging.
They don’t provide any.

luckily I have a lot of extra rope to chose from...

So I chose the above white rope for the sails, and the rope to the left of that for all the running rigging for the yards.
The large yard ropes to hang it, are going to be the dark .50 rope.

In conclusion, my rigging will be color coded and have some variety.
This would not have been possible using what was supplied. In retrospect I should have purchased better blocks. I’m doing that after this build to have a good surplus on hand.

Last edited:
Hi Dean,
Lovely to read your Admiral is willing to help with the sails.
Building Le Mirage, my Admiral told me how the machine works and wished me succes :D.
But it's nice that she was confident.
Regards, Peter
My admiral is afraid I will break her sewing machine! :)
She has a smaller model for doing odd things around the house. But she has an industrial size for her work. She does upholstery for cars and boats. She did the sail on the small one, but wants to do the big sails on her Juki (industrial machine). She wasn’t happy with the small sail, but I said I’m using it! ;)

Last edited:
I want to talk about rope for a minute. For those of you who may build this ship, the supplied rope is not enough!
View attachment 206396
This is what they give you, plus one more roll of the .15 rope that was used up by the time I finished all the shroud lines!
View attachment 206403
they tell you to use the .15 rope for mast wooldings...I chose to use the above waxed black rope for the masts and bow sprit wooldings.
Even then I’m almost out of the .15 rope that I need for the yard wooldings. There won’t be enough left to do everything else at that point.
They don’t provide any.
View attachment 206405
View attachment 206406
So I chose the above white rope for the sails, and the rope to the left of that for all the running rigging for the yards.

This would not have been possible using what was supplied. In retrospect I should have purchased better blocks. I’m doing that after this build to have a good surplus on hand.
Thanks for information Dean.

Curently I’m working on OCCRE’s Montanes and just begun the masts. After reading your post I understand that most probably I’ll need extra ropes for rigging.

Best regards.

Today I was able to finish the main yard. There was a lot of ropes and pulleys to attach. And I had to make the parrel and attach it.

I put the first rope through the upper two center holes...

then I came back through the lower center holes, adding beads as I went...

then I added a rope and beads to the outer two rows. No one told me you had to make necklaces when building a ship! ;)
Anyway, then I tied a rope through the two rope loops on the right side to attach to the yard.
On the left I tied the upper two ropes and the lower two ropes. Glued and trimmed one rope. Then I tied the inner two ropes left together in the center, then glued and trimmed one rope. That way I had one rope to tie onto the loop on the yard I made for attaching around the mast.

on the yard and glue is drying.
So the yard is done and I will go over it and do any touch up required.

now to get the admiral to sew the main sail tomorrow!
Then I will add reef ropes and tie to the yard and get ready to raise the yard on the mast.
I hope to get this main mast, yard and sail up and rigged this week.
Then next week the foremast! Then I’m done...and on to the POF Bluenose!
I will have to build a display case at some point soon.

Last edited:
Today I was able to finish the main yard. There was a lot of ropes and pulleys to attach. And I had to make the parrel and attach it.
View attachment 206479
I put the first rope through the upper two center holes...
View attachment 206480
then I came back through the lower center holes, adding beads as I went...
View attachment 206481
then I added a rope and beads to the outer two rows. No one told me you had to make necklaces when building a ship! ;)
Anyway, then I tied a rope through the two rope loops on the right side to attach to the yard.
On the left I tied the upper two ropes and the lower two ropes. Glued and trimmed one rope. Then I tied the inner two ropes left together in the center, then glued and trimmed one rope. That way I had one rope to tie onto the loop on the yard I made for attaching around the mast.
View attachment 206482
on the yard and glue is drying.
So the yard is done and I will go over it and do any touch up required.
View attachment 206484
now to get the admiral to sew the main sail tomorrow!
Then I will add reef ropes and tie to the yard and get ready to raise the yard on the mast.
I hope to get this main mast, yard and sail up and rigged this week.
Then next week the foremast! Then I’m done...and on to the POF Bluenose!
I will have to build a display case at some point soon.
What is a parrel for?

What is a parrel for?
It wraps around the mast, and acts like a bearing to allow the yard to swivel and move up and down on the mast. They usually used wooden balls and plates on ropes to make them.
Primary function to attach yard to mast, secondary function to act like a bearing and reduce friction between the yard and mast when moving the yard.

Last edited:
View attachment 206396
View attachment 206403
They don’t provide any.
View attachment 206405
View attachment 206406

Hi dean, Looking good there. I’m impressed with the neat organised way that you store your cord and stuff, I wish that I could get my head around storing things as well but if you look at my stash it looks like it was organised by a mad woman. In comparison see my wife’s sewing tray, I made it for her some years ago and there is never a thread out of place. I’m banned from touching any of it under the threat of dire consequences and any sail making costs me dearly, at least a meal out in a fine restaurant.

_1050528.JPG

Yarn.jpg

Last edited:
What is a parrel for?
Parrels (Racke; Racaggers)
A movable loop or collar used to fasten a yard or gaff to its respective masts. Parrel allows the spar to be raised or lowered and swivel around the must. Can be made of wire or rope and fitted with tracks (beads) to reduce. friction
A parrel consisted of a number of ribs and trucks, with each rib having two to four holes for the parrel ropes, depending on the yard's size and type. The Topsail yards were held close to the topmasts by a two-row parrel. Topsail yard parrels on Continental ships differed considerably from those on British vessels.

1610981234420.png

1610981560505.png

Hi dean, Looking good there. I’m impressed with the neat organised way that you store your cord and stuff, I wish that I could get my head around storing things as well but if you look at my stash it looks like it was organised by a mad woman. In comparison see my wife’s sewing tray, I made it for her some years ago and there is never a thread out of place. I’m banned from touching any of it under the threat of dire consequences and any sail making costs me dearly, at least a meal out in a fine restaurant.

View attachment 206544

View attachment 206545
Ken,
I always say organization is the key to efficiency! I don't want to spend my time looking for things, I would rather spend my time using them. ;)
Sounds like you could have a win/win situation with the admiral. You get the sails sewn and YOU get a nice meal too!

Hi, I’ve just got my Euromodel Ajax, more of that later but checking it out I see that they have supplied walnut for the decking, I regretted initially using it on my Amerigo and I don’t want to make the same mistake again. I was thinking that bleaching it might do the trick, does anyone have experience with this or do I just bite the bullet and buy some new stuff

Hi, I’ve just got my Euromodel Ajax, more of that later but checking it out I see that they have supplied walnut for the decking, I regretted initially using it on my Amerigo and I don’t want to make the same mistake again. I was thinking that bleaching it might do the trick, does anyone have experience with this or do I just bite the bullet and buy some new stuff
I have no experience bleaching wood. You could however dry brush a lighter color on top and let the dark grain pop. Of course that is painting wood, and won't look as good as stain or natural wood. I would definitely test any modifications to the walnut prior to using on the ship!

Reactions: Ken
We joke about OCD, but...
I couldn’t live with the sails as provided because the border was too wide for the scale, and there were no reef lines or ropes. So I had the admiral take apart and sew the mizen mast sail and I added reef ropes.
now looking at the main sail...
I had to take out the thread on the borders and trim them and use double sided tape to fold down to get ready to be sewn.

but looking at the vertical lines sewn in the sail, they are not equally spaced or straight! :(

so now I am removing all of the vertical line threads, so the admiral can add them back equally spaced with a darker thread like the mizen sail. So that’s my fun for the night!

Last edited:
Back