Cazador Xebec - OcCre 1:60 [COMPLETED BUILD]

After adding the pulleys and the parrel to the yard, it was time for the sail.
I just couldn’t allow myself to use the kit sails as they are.

the border is too wide for the scale...around 2 ft at scale! It’s missing the reef lines and those big ugly hoops they had at the corners, I took them off!
Then I had the admiral step in and we unstitched the sail, trimmed the edges to fold over and make a smaller border. Then I had her sew it with a darker thread and add reef lines.

very happy with how it turned out. Then I sewed it to the yard. Now to add reef ropes and raise the mast!
Next I will attach the lift ropes, yard lines and sail lines.
Then I can move on to building the main yard.

Last edited:
View attachment 205675
the border is too wide for the scale...around 2 ft at scale! It’s missing the reef lines and those big ugly hoops they had at the corners, I took them off!
Then I had the admiral step in and we unstitched the sail, trimmed the edges to fold over and make a smaller border. Then I had her sew it with a darker thread and add reef lines.
View attachment 205676
very happy with how it turned out. Then I sewed it to the yard. Now to add reef ropes and raise the mast!
Really nice, Dean. Enjoying watching you work step by step.

View attachment 205675
View attachment 205676
That looks great, Dean. I’ll have to study it in great detail before I attempt it.

Milestone reached! Mizen mast, yard and sail... done and rigged!
Moving on to the main mast yard and sail. ;)
View attachment 205829View attachment 205830View attachment 205831
These pictures reminded me of a question I was going to ask you. Did you customize the brass rudder bits? If so, what is the thickness of the brass and how did you cut it? And I assume you used your 'dot' of glue technique to simulate the bolts? Or is everything from the kit? I was looking at what my kit supplies and they are out of scale and poorly representative of the real ship so I'm trolling for ideas.

These pictures reminded me of a question I was going to ask you. Did you customize the brass rudder bits? If so, what is the thickness of the brass and how did you cut it? And I assume you used your 'dot' of glue technique to simulate the bolts? Or is everything from the kit? I was looking at what my kit supplies and they are out of scale and poorly representative of the real ship so I'm trolling for ideas.
If you go back in my log to where I built the rudder, you will see that they provided the brass strips with pre-drilled holes. However they were too long and the hole locations spread out too far. So I trimmed them to length and drilled extra holes. Then I used some tiny brass nails that were in the kit for planking. They are about the size of a straight pin, just shorter in length. Since the rudder isn't thick enough to use them as is, I cut them to about 3mm long so I could use on both sides after drilling a pilot hole. I mainly wanted to use the heads for looks. If they would not have been available, I surely would have made heads out of glue. ;)
Hope that helps! Also the brass strips are very thin, about .5mm thick and 3mm wide.

I had built a stand for the ship, to work on it. I decided to mount that on a board and use it. I just had to modify it a little. A narrowed the width and added an angle on the ends. Then I glued and nailed down and painted it a flat black.
I didn’t paint the inside where the keel sits because you will not see that. ;)

Last edited:
Back