Cleaning a 17th century model at the Rijksmuseum

Is it possible to order this service to our home as well? What's their phone number :D:p
And now in a bit of seriousness, the central enemy of our models is indeed the dust and time despite the showcases the dust penetrates inside. This is not an easy job

I had the privilege to care for this model (and many more) for 23 years, up to 2012. I took off the masts and rigging twice because the ship had to be moved to another room. The whole procedure did not take more than two days for unrigging and four for rerigging. I designed U-shaped braces to tie the shrouds to, loosened all the other ropes and tied them there as well and lifted the masts, complete with topmasts, yards and sails in one procedure. I can honestly say that both occasions were the time of my life. I wish the new staff the best in taking care of the collection. They are doing a great job.
Ab

I had the privilege to care for this model (and many more) for 23 years, up to 2012. I took off the masts and rigging twice because the ship had to be moved to another room. The whole procedure did not take more than two days for unrigging and four for rerigging. I designed U-shaped braces to tie the shrouds to, loosened all the other ropes and tied them there as well and lifted the masts, complete with topmasts, yards and sails in one procedure. I can honestly say that both occasions were the time of my life. I wish the new staff the best in taking care of the collection. They are doing a great job.
Ab
You had a rare experience that very few will or may ever have in our SoS pond and Homefront ship yards. Time well invested on your part. PT-2

I have seen this ship several times and it always attracts my attention with all the incredible details. I was hoping to visit the Rijksmuseum this fall, but it looks like it will now be the fall of 2021...

Ab
Very interesting experience with this work - are there photos existing of this activity with re-rigging and movement of the model - unmasted ?

Very interesting experience with this work - are there photos existing of this activity with re-rigging and movement of the model - unmasted ?
To be able to "unrig" and re-rig you probably be classified at least as an able Seaman knowing the name, location, and use of every line and part of tackle aboard! Lookout for getting "shanghaied" and dumped on board again after partaking of a spiked beverage from an enticing hostess in a waterfront pub. There were many of these in Portland, Oregon with direct underground tunnels to the piers; still existing but abandoned up to the late 1960's when the entire waterfront area of blocks of buildings were demolished for posh new apartments and river-side parks. PT-2

Of course I have pictures of the project in 2012 (taken shortly after my retirement). Several years earlier we performed the same action just after the museum closed for a rebuild, which if I remember well lasted six years. I even have footage of me removing the masts, but it is 38,9 Mb and I don't know how to upload it here. Any suggestions?
Here some shots:
P3270044b.jpg
_DSC0205 (Custom).jpg
DSC00929 (Custom).JPG
_DSC0302.jpg

P3270044b.jpg

_DSC0205 (Custom).jpg

DSC00929 (Custom).JPG

_DSC0302.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Please let me know what the brown balloon looking things are behind the sails. Possibly something to hold their shape and protection during the demount and move???? Are there any records describing the build, number of craftsmen, time to build, etc. . . those would be of great interest given the size and detail. Regarding your video. . . can you describe how it was taken, equipment, storage media, etc. . . that may help in considering how to bring it up here. PT-2

I can imagine your confusion. Due to the unusual point of view you may not have recognized the mast tops. I'm sure you know what they are for... :)

The footage has the extension of 'mov.' and the size is 38.9 MB. That's all I can say about it. Most of it deals with the transport from one side of the museum to the other, but at the beginning and at the end you can see how I removed and replaced the masts.

(as for the backgrounds of t his model, read my book: 'William Rex'.)

Last edited:
I can imagine your confusion. Due to the unusual point of view you may not have recognized the mast tops. I'm sure you know what they are for... :)

The footage has the extension of 'mov.' and the size is 38.9 MB. That's all I can say about it. Most of it deals with the transport from one side of the museum to the other, but at the beginning and at the end you can see how I removed and replaced the masts.

(as for the backgrounds of t his model, read my book: 'William Rex'.)
I found another video showing parts of the movement

Rijksmuseum William Rex verhuizing

The Rijks museum in Amsterdam reopened. One of the most amazing objects is the ship model of the 'William Rex", built in 1698. We made a video documentary of the dismantling, transport and restoration of the 4.5 meter long historical object.

In het nieuw geopende Rijksmuseum staat een scheepsmodel van de William Rex uit 1698 op een prominente plek. Carillon maakte een documentaire over het ontmantelen, verhuizen en het in minutiueuze details weer restaureren van het 4,5 meter lange historische object.

and also another one about the museum

the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam reopens

The Rijksmuseum opens its doors after a 10-year restoration. The greatest treasure house of the Dutch Golden Age, stocked with paintings by masters like Rembrandt, Vermeer, Jan Steen and Frans Hals in a building designed by Pierre Cuypers, which is an eccentric melding of Gothic and Renaissance architecture, reopens after a restoration that took 10 years (five years longer than expected) and costed nearly $500 million. The Rijksmuseum's main building opens on April 13, www.rijksmuseum.nl/en
Read also Simon Schama' article in the ft about the Rijksmuseum restoration;
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/6050ff...

Back